timeslave to non sgi.... - SGI

This is a discussion on timeslave to non sgi.... - SGI ; I am trying to get an Origin 2k to timeslave to a backup system that is server time using the RFC-868 standard, but I am not having success. When I timeslave SGI systems to SGI systems, things seem to work ...

  1. timeslave to non sgi....

    I am trying to get an Origin 2k to timeslave to a backup system that is
    server time using the RFC-868 standard, but I am not having success.

    When I timeslave SGI systems to SGI systems, things seem to work fine.
    When I timeslave PC's to PC's things seem to work fine. But when I
    timeslave this SGI to backup PC the SGI does some goofy things. It will
    set the time correctly at first, then 90 seconds later (or how ever long
    I set the rate with -r) it will jump ahead a couple of days, or jump
    behind a couple of days. The next time it jumps back to the correct
    time and then the next it time warps again.

    I have played with the drift and the initial drift, but nothing seems to
    work and the our put from -dddd does not make sense and there is no
    description about what it means.

    I and running IRIX 6.5.20.

    Any helps is greatly appreciated.

    Dan

  2. Re: timeslave to non sgi....

    On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, dangore wrote:

    > I am trying to get an Origin 2k to timeslave to a backup system that is
    > server time using the RFC-868 standard, but I am not having success.
    >
    > When I timeslave SGI systems to SGI systems, things seem to work fine.
    > When I timeslave PC's to PC's things seem to work fine. But when I
    > timeslave this SGI to backup PC the SGI does some goofy things. It will
    > set the time correctly at first, then 90 seconds later (or how ever long
    > I set the rate with -r) it will jump ahead a couple of days, or jump
    > behind a couple of days. The next time it jumps back to the correct
    > time and then the next it time warps again.
    >
    > I have played with the drift and the initial drift, but nothing seems to
    > work and the our put from -dddd does not make sense and there is no
    > description about what it means.
    >
    > I and running IRIX 6.5.20.

    Did you see the warning in "man timeslave"?

    WARNING
    Temporal chaos results if two or more time daemons, whether timed,
    timeslave, or NTP, try to adjust the same clock.

    I use timeslave on an Octane, IRIX 6.5.18m, against a Mdk linux 9.0
    machine with an ntpd.

    --
    George N. White III
    Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia, Canada

  3. Re: timeslave to non sgi....

    Yes, I saw that. It appears that I did not read the man page to timed
    thoroughly. And even when I do I do not quite get it. I would like to
    slave all the SGI's to a primary SGI and then slave that primary SGI to
    the backup server. I had assumed that timed was a time server daemon.
    But it appears from the man page it is a time "moderator".

    So to implement my scheme, I will just timeslave the SGI's to the
    primary SGI, then timeslave the primary SGI to the backup server. But
    the question is, do you need a service running on the primary SGI to
    serve time? I thought that is what timed did (but obviously doesn't).

    Thanks for the help George.

    Dan

    George N. White III wrote:
    > On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, dangore wrote:
    >

    >>I am trying to get an Origin 2k to timeslave to a backup system that is
    >>server time using the RFC-868 standard, but I am not having success.
    >>
    >>When I timeslave SGI systems to SGI systems, things seem to work fine.
    >>When I timeslave PC's to PC's things seem to work fine. But when I
    >>timeslave this SGI to backup PC the SGI does some goofy things. It will
    >>set the time correctly at first, then 90 seconds later (or how ever long
    >>I set the rate with -r) it will jump ahead a couple of days, or jump
    >>behind a couple of days. The next time it jumps back to the correct
    >>time and then the next it time warps again.
    >>
    >>I have played with the drift and the initial drift, but nothing seems to
    >>work and the our put from -dddd does not make sense and there is no
    >>description about what it means.
    >>
    >>I and running IRIX 6.5.20.

    > Did you see the warning in "man timeslave"?
    >
    > WARNING
    > Temporal chaos results if two or more time daemons, whether timed,
    > timeslave, or NTP, try to adjust the same clock.
    >
    > I use timeslave on an Octane, IRIX 6.5.18m, against a Mdk linux 9.0
    > machine with an ntpd.
    >
    > --
    > George N. White III
    > Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia, Canada

  4. Re: timeslave to non sgi....

    dangore wrote:
    > Yes, I saw that. It appears that I did not read the man page to timed
    > thoroughly. And even when I do I do not quite get it. I would like to
    > slave all the SGI's to a primary SGI and then slave that primary SGI to
    > the backup server. I had assumed that timed was a time server daemon.
    > But it appears from the man page it is a time "moderator".
    >
    > So to implement my scheme, I will just timeslave the SGI's to the
    > primary SGI, then timeslave the primary SGI to the backup server. But
    > the question is, do you need a service running on the primary SGI to
    > serve time? I thought that is what timed did (but obviously doesn't).
    >
    > Thanks for the help George.
    >

    > Dan
    >

    > George N. White III wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, dangore wrote:
    >>

    >>> I am trying to get an Origin 2k to timeslave to a backup system that is
    >>> server time using the RFC-868 standard, but I am not having success.
    >>>
    >>> When I timeslave SGI systems to SGI systems, things seem to work fine.
    >>> When I timeslave PC's to PC's things seem to work fine. But when I
    >>> timeslave this SGI to backup PC the SGI does some goofy things. It will
    >>> set the time correctly at first, then 90 seconds later (or how ever long
    >>> I set the rate with -r) it will jump ahead a couple of days, or jump
    >>> behind a couple of days. The next time it jumps back to the correct
    >>> time and then the next it time warps again.
    >>>
    >>> I have played with the drift and the initial drift, but nothing seems to
    >>> work and the our put from -dddd does not make sense and there is no
    >>> description about what it means.
    >>>
    >>> I and running IRIX 6.5.20.

    >> Did you see the warning in "man timeslave"?
    >>
    >> WARNING
    >> Temporal chaos results if two or more time daemons, whether timed,
    >> timeslave, or NTP, try to adjust the same clock.
    >>
    >> I use timeslave on an Octane, IRIX 6.5.18m, against a Mdk linux 9.0
    >> machine with an ntpd.
    >>
    >> --
    >> George N. White III
    >> Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia, Canada

    There is an alternative: I use ntp (see the freeware disks) across a
    network of IRIX, Linux, SunOS (various) and UNICOS (Cray). In part I am
    forced to, it is the only common mechanism, but it seems to run quite
    happily.

  5. Re: timeslave to non sgi....

    dangore writes:
    >So to implement my scheme, I will just timeslave the SGI's to the
    >primary SGI, then timeslave the primary SGI to the backup server. But
    >the question is, do you need a service running on the primary SGI to
    >serve time?

    Yes, sort of. But if you don't removed it, it is already in your
    /etc/inetd.conf and you do not have to worry about:

    time stream tcp nowait root internal

    timeslave is a simple, not highly accurate time service but is sufficient
    for most systems. If you really need more exactness, you should use an NTP
    client which timeslave is not.

    As you already figured out, timed must turned off if you use timeslave. The
    only advantage of timed is the lack of necessity for configuration which
    could be the reason why it is turned on by default. But timed is unreliable
    by design and should be replaced by timeslave if a system with accurate
    time is available or reachable via Internet.

    Heiko

+ Reply to Thread