exporting shell aliases through nis - SGI

This is a discussion on exporting shell aliases through nis - SGI ; hi, i'd like to export through aliase throught nis. I've succesfully set up an O200 running IRIX 6.5.13, serving as a NIS master and nfs server for 10 linux stations (rh8) . I've added a "non-standard" map, as the online ...

  1. exporting shell aliases through nis

    hi,
    i'd like to export through aliase throught nis.
    I've succesfully set up an O200 running IRIX 6.5.13, serving as a NIS
    master and nfs server for 10 linux stations (rh8) . I've added a
    "non-standard" map, as the online books say, to automount nfs dirs.
    What i'd like to do now, is to export shell aliases to the linux users.
    I guess the alias map in NIS is mail related, and has nothing to do with
    shell aliases.
    I guess this could be done by rsync-ing a .alias file on the stations,
    but i'd like to do it through nis.
    How should I do that?

    *ANY* help appreciated

    ---

  2. Re: exporting shell aliases through nis

    MrWallace wrote:
    > hi,
    > i'd like to export through aliase throught nis.
    > I've succesfully set up an O200 running IRIX 6.5.13, serving as a NIS
    > master and nfs server for 10 linux stations (rh8) . I've added a
    > "non-standard" map, as the online books say, to automount nfs dirs.
    > What i'd like to do now, is to export shell aliases to the linux users.
    > I guess the alias map in NIS is mail related, and has nothing to do with
    > shell aliases.
    > I guess this could be done by rsync-ing a .alias file on the stations,
    > but i'd like to do it through nis.
    > How should I do that?
    >
    > *ANY* help appreciated
    >
    > ---

    I have never tried this, so cannot say if it will work or not, however,
    won't automouting /etc/profile (or equivalent files depending upon
    shell) do the trick?

  3. Re: exporting shell aliases through nis

    Rakesh Vidyadharan, after a long battle with technology, said, On
    04/11/2003 16:53:
    > MrWallace wrote:
    >
    >> hi,
    >> i'd like to export through aliase throught nis.
    >> I've succesfully set up an O200 running IRIX 6.5.13, serving as a NIS
    >> master and nfs server for 10 linux stations (rh8) . I've added a
    >> "non-standard" map, as the online books say, to automount nfs dirs.
    >> What i'd like to do now, is to export shell aliases to the linux users.
    >> I guess the alias map in NIS is mail related, and has nothing to do with
    >> shell aliases.
    >> I guess this could be done by rsync-ing a .alias file on the stations,
    >> but i'd like to do it through nis.
    >> How should I do that?
    >>
    >> *ANY* help appreciated
    >>
    >> ---

    > I have never tried this, so cannot say if it will work or not, however,
    > won't automouting /etc/profile (or equivalent files depending upon
    > shell) do the trick?

    Thanks for helping, rakesh
    I don't think it is possible to "mount" a file, via nfs. That is why i
    thought that a NIS map would be more efficient. But i dont know how i'd
    do that.

  4. Re: exporting shell aliases through nis

    MrWallace wrote:

    > Rakesh Vidyadharan, after a long battle with technology, said, On
    > 04/11/2003 16:53:
    >> MrWallace wrote:
    >>
    >>> hi,
    >>> i'd like to export through aliase throught nis.
    >>> I've succesfully set up an O200 running IRIX 6.5.13, serving as a NIS
    >>> master and nfs server for 10 linux stations (rh8) . I've added a
    >>> "non-standard" map, as the online books say, to automount nfs dirs.
    >>> What i'd like to do now, is to export shell aliases to the linux users.
    >>> I guess the alias map in NIS is mail related, and has nothing to do with
    >>> shell aliases.
    >>> I guess this could be done by rsync-ing a .alias file on the stations,
    >>> but i'd like to do it through nis.
    >>> How should I do that?
    >>>
    >>> *ANY* help appreciated
    >>>
    >>> ---

    >> I have never tried this, so cannot say if it will work or not, however,
    >> won't automouting /etc/profile (or equivalent files depending upon
    >> shell) do the trick?

    > Thanks for helping, rakesh
    > I don't think it is possible to "mount" a file, via nfs. That is why i
    > thought that a NIS map would be more efficient. But i dont know how i'd
    > do that.

    One way I could think of doing this would be to create a non-standard
    nis map for each shell you wish to support. Something like
    aliases.csh and aliases.sh should probably do for most. Then putting the
    alias definitions inside those files and editing the local
    /etc/profile[1] to include something like :
    eval `ypcat aliases.sh`

    Or, if you have a lot of aliases, or a weird shell:
    ypcat aliases.sh > /tmp/$$
    source /tmp/$$

    This way you'll just have to edit/update local files once and you can
    keep all alias definitions distributed via NIS.

    Come to think of it, an even easier way would be to store your aliases
    in an automountable area (i.e. /net/etc) and source this from the local
    /etc/profile.

    Ole-Morten
    [1] Or whatever applies for csh, zsh, ksh, bash etc.
    --
    This space unintentionally left blank.

  5. Re: exporting shell aliases through nis

    Ole-Morten Duesund, after a long battle with technology, said, On
    05/11/2003 20:15:
    > MrWallace wrote:
    >>

    >> Rakesh Vidyadharan, after a long battle with technology, said, On

    >>> I have never tried this, so cannot say if it will work or not, however,
    >>> won't automouting /etc/profile (or equivalent files depending upon
    >>> shell) do the trick?

    >> Thanks for helping, rakesh
    >> I don't think it is possible to "mount" a file, via nfs. That is why i
    >> thought that a NIS map would be more efficient. But i dont know how i'd
    >> do that.

    > One way I could think of doing this would be to create a non-standard
    > nis map for each shell you wish to support. Something like
    > aliases.csh and aliases.sh should probably do for most. Then putting the
    > alias definitions inside those files and editing the local
    > /etc/profile[1] to include something like :
    > eval `ypcat aliases.sh`
    >
    > Or, if you have a lot of aliases, or a weird shell:
    > ypcat aliases.sh > /tmp/$$
    > source /tmp/$$
    >
    > This way you'll just have to edit/update local files once and you can
    > keep all alias definitions distributed via NIS.
    >
    > Come to think of it, an even easier way would be to store your aliases
    > in an automountable area (i.e. /net/etc) and source this from the local
    > /etc/profile.
    >
    > Ole-Morten
    > [1] Or whatever applies for csh, zsh, ksh, bash etc.

    i think this IS the solution i was looking for
    Thank you!

  6. Re: exporting shell aliases through nis

    Some weeks ago, I posted a question about adding non-standard (autohome)
    maps to my IRIX NIS server. There have not been any replies yet but you
    seem to have got it to work. Would you be willing to contact me, so I
    can ask you a couple of questions?
    Tony Schreiner

    MrWallace wrote:
    > Ole-Morten Duesund, after a long battle with technology, said, On
    > 05/11/2003 20:15:
    >
    >> MrWallace wrote:
    >>

    >>> Rakesh Vidyadharan, after a long battle with technology, said, On
    >>> 04/11/2003 16:53:

  7. Re: exporting shell aliases through nis

    MrWallace wrote:

    >> Come to think of it, an even easier way would be to store your aliases
    >> in an automountable area (i.e. /net/etc) and source this from the local
    >> /etc/profile.
    >>
    >> Ole-Morten
    >> [1] Or whatever applies for csh, zsh, ksh, bash etc.

    > i think this IS the solution i was looking for
    > Thank you!

    No problem, it's nice to be able to help.

    Ole-Morten
    --
    This space unintentionally left blank.

+ Reply to Thread