Problem with new Ethernet on Indy - SGI

This is a discussion on Problem with new Ethernet on Indy - SGI ; Hello, Well, those past few days I have been struggling with the configuration of my Indy at home. Shortly, up to now, I've been using the Ethernet-AUI port with a transceiver to 10BaseT. This AUI port was configured by default ...

  1. Problem with new Ethernet on Indy

    Hello,

    Well, those past few days I have been struggling with the configuration of my Indy at home. Shortly, up to now, I've been using the Ethernet-AUI port with a transceiver to 10BaseT. This AUI port was configured by default on the Indy and I always used it (and it worked fine for years).

    Now, after I moved house, I realized I (probably) lost my transceiver AUI to 10BaseT... I figured out that I don't need to buy a new one (I know, only $15) and I could simply use the 10BaseT Ethernet port of my Indy instead of the AUI Ethernet port.

    Wrong. At the first startup, console reported a problem with ec0 and said that it would work in a "standalone network module" (which basically means that it didn't detect a network on port ec0 and that it will work without network).

    Now, I wanted to tell to the machine that if it had a better look, it would see that there is a et0 attach to this station!!! If I go by the GUI, it doesn't work as the only interface it shows is ec0... How is that possible? Why? Looks like my system is unaware that this machine has a AUI AND 10BaseT interface!! I made a 6.5 installation from scratch... why didn't it install this interface in the system?

    Now, just to let you know, I tried the command: netstat -ina and it reports that only ec0 and lo0 are available (system is unaware of the et0). I also tried to force recognition through netif.options file... (at reboot it said that it is not aware...)

    To make a long story short, what are the steps that I must follow if I simply want my system to connect with this 10BaseT interface???

    Thanks a lot for your help!

  2. Re: Problem with new Ethernet on Indy

    ToTheEnd wrote in message news:<3fa774ff$1@news.swissonline.ch>...
    > Hello,
    >
    > Well, those past few days I have been struggling with the configuration of my Indy at home. Shortly, up to now, I've been using the Ethernet-AUI port with a transceiver to 10BaseT. This AUI port was configured by default on the Indy and I always used it (and it worked fine for years).
    >
    > Now, after I moved house, I realized I (probably) lost my transceiver AUI to 10BaseT... I figured out that I don't need to buy a new one (I know, only $15) and I could simply use the 10BaseT Ethernet port of my Indy instead of the AUI Ethernet port.
    >
    > Wrong. At the first startup, console reported a problem with ec0 and said that it would work in a "standalone network module" (which basically means that it didn't detect a network on port ec0 and that it will work without network).

    Nope, the machine is correct - there is ONLY ec0. The AUI & RJ-45
    outputs are for the same Ethernet interface - the machine
    automatically detects which port is being used. There is only 1 (one)
    built-in Ethernet inteface in an Indy....