Any way to duplicate inst-format CD's on a PC? - SGI

This is a discussion on Any way to duplicate inst-format CD's on a PC? - SGI ; For the record, it's the SGI Freeware 2.0 disk that I'm trying to create a second copy of so I can have one in both of my SGI work locations. Anyway, at least Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 on both ...

  1. Any way to duplicate inst-format CD's on a PC?

    For the record, it's the SGI Freeware 2.0 disk that I'm trying to create a
    second copy of so I can have one in both of my SGI work locations.

    Anyway, at least Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 on both Win2K and WinXP boxes fails
    to recognize the inst-formatted CD as containing anything. Is getting a
    CD-RW for my SGI's my only recourse?

    TIA
    Norm

  2. Re: Any way to duplicate inst-format CD's on a PC?

    On 11/2/2003 9:00 AM, Norm Dresner wrote:
    > For the record, it's the SGI Freeware 2.0 disk that I'm trying to create a
    > second copy of so I can have one in both of my SGI work locations.
    >
    > Anyway, at least Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 on both Win2K and WinXP boxes fails
    > to recognize the inst-formatted CD as containing anything. Is getting a
    > CD-RW for my SGI's my only recourse?
    >
    > TIA
    > Norm

    CloneCD will copy EFS format CDs.

  3. Re: Any way to duplicate inst-format CD's on a PC?

    In article ,
    Norm Dresner wrote:
    :For the record, it's the SGI Freeware 2.0 disk that I'm trying to create a
    :second copy of so I can have one in both of my SGI work locations.

    :Anyway, at least Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 on both Win2K and WinXP boxes fails
    :to recognize the inst-formatted CD as containing anything. Is getting a
    :CD-RW for my SGI's my only recourse?

    Nothing in the Freeware disk needs to be installed from the miniroot;
    it can all be installed 'live'. What you do, then, is copy the
    *contents* of the freeware CD 'dist' directory onto a Rockridge format
    CD (make sure you preserve the long names and case sensitivity!).
    When you are running live, inst is happy to read from any CD in any
    filesystem format that IRIX understands.

    The restriction against ISO CDs for installation is that the miniroot
    device drivers do not include ISO support. It isn't a restriction in
    inst itself.
    --
    "Infinity is like a stuffed walrus I can hold in the palm of my hand.
    Don't do anything with infinity you wouldn't do with a stuffed walrus."

  4. Re: Any way to duplicate inst-format CD's on a PC?

    just dd the disk of on a linux box and use cdrecord to burn it to cd. Neh
    problem. However I'd not bother if I were you. I maintain a mirror of
    freeware.sgi.com/Dist on my large server and inst off that. I keep all of
    the files after there synced in native format (un-tarred). I have a script
    that runs from crontab to sync the mirror. The run
    for i in ../*.tardist
    tar -xvf $i
    done

    well two solutions both totaly different but hay thats unix. Many
    solutions few problems ;-)

    good luck

    *********************
    Khalid Schofield
    System Administrator / EM Technician
    Dept. Of Materials
    University Of Oxford
    Parks Road
    Oxford
    OX1 3PH

    Tel: 01865 273785
    Fax: 01865 283333

    On Sun, 2 Nov 2003, Norm Dresner wrote:

    > For the record, it's the SGI Freeware 2.0 disk that I'm trying to create a
    > second copy of so I can have one in both of my SGI work locations.
    >
    > Anyway, at least Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 on both Win2K and WinXP boxes fails
    > to recognize the inst-formatted CD as containing anything. Is getting a
    > CD-RW for my SGI's my only recourse?
    >
    > TIA
    > Norm

  5. Re: Any way to duplicate inst-format CD's on a PC?

    in other words, there's no way to do it in Windoze?

    Norm

    "Khalid Schofield" wrote in
    message news:Pine.LNX.4.58.0311021651250.22030@crow.linux. ox.ac.uk...
    > just dd the disk of on a linux box and use cdrecord to burn it to cd. Neh
    > problem. However I'd not bother if I were you. I maintain a mirror of
    > freeware.sgi.com/Dist on my large server and inst off that. I keep all of
    > the files after there synced in native format (un-tarred). I have a script
    > that runs from crontab to sync the mirror. The run
    > for i in ../*.tardist
    > tar -xvf $i
    > done
    >
    > well two solutions both totaly different but hay thats unix. Many
    > solutions few problems ;-)
    >
    > good luck
    >
    > *********************
    > Khalid Schofield
    > System Administrator / EM Technician
    > Dept. Of Materials
    > University Of Oxford
    > Parks Road
    > Oxford
    > OX1 3PH
    >
    > Email: khalid.schofield@materials.ox.ac.uk
    > Tel: 01865 273785
    > Fax: 01865 283333
    > Web: http://www-em.materials.ox.ac.uk/peo...eld/index.html
    >

    > On Sun, 2 Nov 2003, Norm Dresner wrote:
    >
    > > For the record, it's the SGI Freeware 2.0 disk that I'm trying to create

    > > second copy of so I can have one in both of my SGI work locations.
    > >
    > > Anyway, at least Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 on both Win2K and WinXP boxes

    fails
    > > to recognize the inst-formatted CD as containing anything. Is getting a
    > > CD-RW for my SGI's my only recourse?
    > >
    > > TIA
    > > Norm

  6. Re: Any way to duplicate inst-format CD's on a PC? REPHRASING QUESTION

    "Walter Roberson" wrote in message
    > In article ,
    > Norm Dresner wrote:
    > :For the record, it's the SGI Freeware 2.0 disk that I'm trying to create

    > :second copy of so I can have one in both of my SGI work locations.
    >
    > :Anyway, at least Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 on both Win2K and WinXP boxes

    fails
    > :to recognize the inst-formatted CD as containing anything. Is getting a
    > :CD-RW for my SGI's my only recourse?
    >
    > Nothing in the Freeware disk needs to be installed from the miniroot;
    > it can all be installed 'live'. What you do, then, is copy the
    > *contents* of the freeware CD 'dist' directory onto a Rockridge format
    > CD (make sure you preserve the long names and case sensitivity!).
    > When you are running live, inst is happy to read from any CD in any
    > filesystem format that IRIX understands.
    >
    > The restriction against ISO CDs for installation is that the miniroot
    > device drivers do not include ISO support. It isn't a restriction in
    > inst itself.
    > --

    Perhaps I should rephrase the question since no one seems to have understood
    what I wanted.

    I have an SGI inst-format CD -- Freeware 2.0 (813-0543-001) -- which,
    for a variety of reasons to complex to get into here, I needed to duplicate.
    Okay, Walter, you're right, I don't need to duplicate it, just to copy the
    files onto another CD with any old format that the SGI understands.
    But the only CD burners I have are on Windows boxes. And my Windows
    computers can't seem to mount the inst-formatted CD. Sure, I can copy the
    contents to a directory on the SGI and then use, say, samba to copy that to
    the PC --- but only after samba is installed. And it's on the Freeware CD!
    Aha, catch 22!
    I've actually downloaded the new freeware set from the SGI website and
    burned that onto CD's using a PC and I may eventually get to install samba
    from it if I can get all the prerequisites -- but that's another problem.
    But I'd like to make a 'copy' of the original set, either as an image or on
    a file-by-file basis.
    SO ... Does anyone know of a way to get a PC running any flavor of
    Windows to read an inst-formatted CD?

    TIA
    Norm

  7. Re: Any way to duplicate inst-format CD's on a PC? REPHRASING QUESTION

    Dans article news.ops.worldnet.att.net>, ndrez@att.net disait...
    > But the only CD burners I have are on Windows boxes. And my Windows
    > computers can't seem to mount the inst-formatted CD.

    Cd copy software such as Disc Copier (comes with Easy CD creator),
    BlindWrite, etc. don't need to mount the CD to copy it. However, if you
    really haven't got any suitable application (hardly understandable, many
    of them are shareware you may download from the net), then take your SDGI
    or a Linux box, and copy the CD content with 'dd' to make a disk image;
    transfer this disk image with ftp, samba or whatever to your PC, then
    burn it with whatever application you have wich is able to burn a CD
    image (that is, ALL OF THEM).

    --
    Quis, quid, ubi, quibus auxiliis, cur, quomodo, quando?

  8. Re: Any way to duplicate inst-format CD's on a PC?

    Dans article <_ebpb.24831$Ec1.2238558@bgtnsc05-
    news.ops.worldnet.att.net>, ndrez@att.net disait...

    > in other words, there's no way to do it in Windoze?

    There are tons of ways to do it with windows. See my other post.

    --
    Quis, quid, ubi, quibus auxiliis, cur, quomodo, quando?

  9. Re: Any way to duplicate inst-format CD's on a PC? REPHRASING QUESTION

    In article ,
    Norm Dresner wrote:
    [ ... ]
    >Perhaps I should rephrase the question since no one seems to have understood
    >what I wanted.

    > I have an SGI inst-format CD -- Freeware 2.0 (813-0543-001) -- which,
    >for a variety of reasons to complex to get into here, I needed to duplicate.
    >Okay, Walter, you're right, I don't need to duplicate it, just to copy the
    >files onto another CD with any old format that the SGI understands.
    > But the only CD burners I have are on Windows boxes. And my Windows
    >computers can't seem to mount the inst-formatted CD. Sure, I can copy the
    >contents to a directory on the SGI and then use, say, samba to copy that to
    >the PC --- but only after samba is installed. And it's on the Freeware CD!
    >Aha, catch 22!

    Use ftp to transfer it to the PC. And remember binary mode...

    > I've actually downloaded the new freeware set from the SGI website and
    >burned that onto CD's using a PC and I may eventually get to install samba
    >from it if I can get all the prerequisites -- but that's another problem.
    >But I'd like to make a 'copy' of the original set, either as an image or on
    >a file-by-file basis.
    > SO ... Does anyone know of a way to get a PC running any flavor of
    >Windows to read an inst-formatted CD?

    I'd go the image route; Roxio should be able to make an image file from
    a CD irregardless of the filesystem; you can then burn from the image to
    new media. Good way to make backups of other important media, too.

    Gary

    --
    Gary Heston gheston@hiwaay.net

    "Is this chicken, what I have, or is this fish? I know it's tuna, but
    it says 'Chicken by the Sea'." Jessica Simpson, on MTV _Newlyweds_

  10. Re: Any way to duplicate inst-format CD's on a PC?

    On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 09:39:29 -0600, Michael Rice wrote:

    >On 11/2/2003 9:00 AM, Norm Dresner wrote:
    >> For the record, it's the SGI Freeware 2.0 disk that I'm trying to create a
    >> second copy of so I can have one in both of my SGI work locations.
    >>
    >> Anyway, at least Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 on both Win2K and WinXP boxes fails
    >> to recognize the inst-formatted CD as containing anything. Is getting a
    >> CD-RW for my SGI's my only recourse?
    >>
    >> TIA
    >> Norm
    >>

    >CloneCD will copy EFS format CDs.

    Nero CD copy also works fine with EFS CDs.

    Neil Rothwell
    Freelance Mechanical Design Engineer
    E-Mail: neil@rothers.demon.co.uk
    Home Page: http://www.rothers.demon.co.uk

  11. Re: Any way to duplicate inst-format CD's on a PC?

    Norm Dresner wrote:

    > For the record, it's the SGI Freeware 2.0 disk that I'm trying to
    > create a second copy of so I can have one in both of my SGI work
    > locations.
    >
    > Anyway, at least Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 on both Win2K and WinXP
    > boxes fails to recognize the inst-formatted CD as containing
    > anything.

    I had absolutely no problem copying EFS CD's (that's the format SGI uses for
    CD's) with Easy CD Creator 5. Just do a simple CD-to-CD copy (1:1), it will
    copy the content without problems. Of course Easy CD Creator can't read the
    _content_ since You can't read EFS under Windows. But making a 1:1 copy is
    independend if Windows recognises the file system or not, it simply copies
    the whole CD...

    Benjamin

  12. Re: Any way to duplicate inst-format CD's on a PC?

    Benjamin Gawert wrote:
    > Of course Easy CD Creator can't read the _content_ since You can't
    > read EFS under Windows.

    BTW.. there once was a software for ms windows called efstools that enabled
    it to read such filesystems. As i am lacking windows at home i never tried
    that software but i have seen it mentioned in here a couple of times.

    --
    PGP2 Key-ID: 666R/36540865 1997-06-09 Marcus Herbert
    GPG Key-ID: 1024D/2E2DAB44 2000-01-30

  13. Re: Any way to duplicate inst-format CD's on a PC?

    "Marcus Herbert" wrote in message
    > Benjamin Gawert wrote:
    > > Of course Easy CD Creator can't read the _content_ since You can't
    > > read EFS under Windows.

    > BTW.. there once was a software for ms windows called efstools that

    enabled
    > it to read such filesystems. As i am lacking windows at home i never tried
    > that software but i have seen it mentioned in here a couple of times.

    Thanks for the reference. Unfortunately a google search for "efstools"
    turned up only 5 hits, 4 of which I'm certain are about security and mention
    efstools only incidentally in connection with an exploit (though only one of
    the 4 is in English). I can't even tell for sure what language the 5th is
    in, but it likely won't help either. I'll try other avenues and repot back
    only if I find something.
    Norm

  14. Re: Any way to duplicate inst-format CD's on a PC?

    On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 13:31:26 GMT, "Norm Dresner" wrote:

    >"Marcus Herbert" wrote in message
    >> Benjamin Gawert wrote:
    >> > Of course Easy CD Creator can't read the _content_ since You can't
    >> > read EFS under Windows.

    >> BTW.. there once was a software for ms windows called efstools that

    >enabled
    >> it to read such filesystems. As i am lacking windows at home i never tried
    >> that software but i have seen it mentioned in here a couple of times.

    > Thanks for the reference. Unfortunately a google search for "efstools"
    >turned up only 5 hits, 4 of which I'm certain are about security and mention
    >efstools only incidentally in connection with an exploit (though only one of
    >the 4 is in English). I can't even tell for sure what language the 5th is
    >in, but it likely won't help either. I'll try other avenues and repot back
    >only if I find something.
    > Norm

    Hi Norm,

    I still fail to see why you need to "read" the CD on a Windows box in order to
    "copy" it. Any Windows CD Burner software will duplicate a SGI efs CD, they
    couldn't care less what the filesystem actually is.

    Are you really saying you don't want an efs -> efs copy but an efs -> iso9660
    copy produced under Windows ?

    Cheers

    Neil

    Neil Rothwell
    Freelance Mechanical Design Engineer
    E-Mail: neil@rothers.demon.co.uk
    Home Page: http://www.rothers.demon.co.uk

  15. Re: Any way to duplicate inst-format CD's on a PC?

    "Neil Rothwell" wrote in message
    > Hi Norm,
    >
    > I still fail to see why you need to "read" the CD on a Windows box in

    order to
    > "copy" it. Any Windows CD Burner software will duplicate a SGI efs CD,

    they
    > couldn't care less what the filesystem actually is.
    >
    > Are you really saying you don't want an efs -> efs copy but an efs ->

    iso9660
    > copy produced under Windows ?

    Yeah, that's what I was trying to do, partially because my fingers are
    trained in those keystrokes. I've done very little CD-burning and simply
    didn't realize that the OS didn't need to "mount" the CD in order that it be
    duplicated.

    Thanks
    Norm

+ Reply to Thread