Problem trying to install NIS - SGI

This is a discussion on Problem trying to install NIS - SGI ; in the directory /var/yp I've issued the command ypinit -m and the error message I get is Parsing configuration files into databases. Can't locate MDBM_File.pm in @INC at /var/yp/mdbm_parse line 6. BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /var/yp/mdbm_parse line 6. The on-line ...

  1. Problem trying to install NIS

    in the directory /var/yp I've issued the command
    ypinit -m
    and the error message I get is

    Parsing configuration files into databases.
    Can't locate MDBM_File.pm in @INC at /var/yp/mdbm_parse line 6.
    BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /var/yp/mdbm_parse line 6.

    The on-line NIS Administrator's Guide says nothing about this file. What's
    my next step?

    TIA
    Norm

  2. Re: Problem trying to install NIS

    Norm Dresner wrote:
    > in the directory /var/yp I've issued the command
    > ypinit -m
    > and the error message I get is
    >
    > Parsing configuration files into databases.
    > Can't locate MDBM_File.pm in @INC at /var/yp/mdbm_parse line 6.
    > BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /var/yp/mdbm_parse line 6.
    >
    > The on-line NIS Administrator's Guide says nothing about this file. What's
    > my next step?
    >
    > TIA
    > Norm

    What list of include directories do you get if you type

    perl -V

    MDBM_File.pm is (should be) in /usr/share/lib/perl5/sgi_perl/

  3. Re: Problem trying to install NIS

    "Tony Schreiner" wrote in message
    > Norm Dresner wrote:
    > > in the directory /var/yp I've issued the command
    > > ypinit -m
    > > and the error message I get is
    > >
    > > Parsing configuration files into databases.
    > > Can't locate MDBM_File.pm in @INC at /var/yp/mdbm_parse line 6.
    > > BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /var/yp/mdbm_parse line 6.
    > >
    > > The on-line NIS Administrator's Guide says nothing about this file.

    What's
    > > my next step?
    > >
    > > TIA
    > > Norm
    > >

    > What list of include directories do you get if you type
    >
    > perl -V
    >
    > MDBM_File.pm is (should be) in /usr/share/lib/perl5/sgi_perl/

    Tony

    First, there's an additional bit of information I neglected to mention in
    the first post because I hadn't known it at the time. Somehow the NIS
    startup script (partially) succeeded and the workstation is already
    recognized as an NIS master by another workstation on the network but,
    oddly, the command 'ypcat passwd' on this machine produces the error message
    "no such map in server's domain" which indicates, I think, that the NIS
    installation isn't complete because of the previous failure.

    Second, because of a strange set of conflicts that arose trying to install
    some of the newer SGI freeware on top of the installation of an older set, I
    had to remove and reinstall Perl5. Anyway, in the directory
    /usr/share/lib/perl5/sgi_perl the file MDBM_File.pm does now exist and I'll
    probably try to uninstall and reinstall the NIS software again.

    But your response tells me that my current Perl5 installation is probably
    good and I'll try the whole NIS thing again.
    Thanks
    Norm

+ Reply to Thread