ACARD IDE SCSI BUS RESET PROBLEM ON OCTANE - SGI

This is a discussion on ACARD IDE SCSI BUS RESET PROBLEM ON OCTANE - SGI ; Hi, I have 3 ide disks with Acard 50 pin scsi convertors on the drives. The cable length is well under 1.5 meters on the Octanes bus. The drives are in different cases and are connected using the large 50 ...

  1. ACARD IDE SCSI BUS RESET PROBLEM ON OCTANE

    Hi,
    I have 3 ide disks with Acard 50 pin scsi convertors on the drives. The
    cable length is well under 1.5 meters on the Octanes bus. The drives are
    in different cases and are connected using the large 50 pin centronics
    connectors. I was copying files from one 120Gb disk to another on the same
    controler. The drives are maxtor and have the acard 20Mb/s 50 pin scsi2
    convertors on them. File systems xfs. When the bus reset it corrupted both
    file systems. I do have a backup but xfs_repair reports errors and bombs
    out :-( I'm restoring one of the drives from 7 DLT 4000 tapes right now.
    Any idea how to prevent this from happening? Is it ok to put 3 of these
    drives on an Octanes SCSI bus?

    *********************
    Khalid Schofield
    System Administrator / EM Technician
    Dept. Of Materials
    University Of Oxford
    Parks Road
    Oxford
    OX1 3PH

    Tel: 01865 273785
    Fax: 01865 283333

  2. Re: ACARD IDE SCSI BUS RESET PROBLEM ON OCTANE

    Khalid Schofield wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I have 3 ide disks with Acard 50 pin scsi convertors on the drives. The
    > cable length is well under 1.5 meters on the Octanes bus. The drives are
    > in different cases and are connected using the large 50 pin centronics
    > connectors. I was copying files from one 120Gb disk to another on the same
    > controler. The drives are maxtor and have the acard 20Mb/s 50 pin scsi2
    > convertors on them. File systems xfs. When the bus reset it corrupted both
    > file systems. I do have a backup but xfs_repair reports errors and bombs
    > out :-( I'm restoring one of the drives from 7 DLT 4000 tapes right now.
    > Any idea how to prevent this from happening? Is it ok to put 3 of these
    > drives on an Octanes SCSI bus?

    there is a patch available from sgi for some of their latest IRIXes which is
    said
    to fix the bomb out problem with xfs_repair. Be sure to install the right one,
    they
    differ for maintenance and feature stream.

    these adard scsi-ide adaptor thing is nice as long as it runs - but it seems not

    all drive-adaptor combinations work fine. Had a 180 GB disc work once &
    then fail many times until I tried to upgrade the adaptor firmware - which went
    wrong also... now Im collecting 50pin scsi drives from ebay...

    Walther

+ Reply to Thread