vswap- general discussion - SGI

This is a discussion on vswap- general discussion - SGI ; A while back (quite a while now) someone wise once told me to turn off vswap. He told me why but I have since forgotten. Anyone care to comment on why this is a good/bad thing?...

  1. vswap- general discussion

    A while back (quite a while now) someone wise once told me to turn off
    vswap.

    He told me why but I have since forgotten. Anyone care to comment on why
    this is a good/bad thing?

  2. Re: vswap- general discussion

    In article <3fa0a497_1@news.iprimus.com.au>,
    Spidy wrote:
    :A while back (quite a while now) someone wise once told me to turn off
    :vswap.

    :He told me why but I have since forgotten. Anyone care to comment on why
    :this is a good/bad thing?

    Why not vswap?

    If you run out of swap space and have no vswap configured, then
    the process that requested the additional memory will be killed.

    If you have vswap configured and you run out of swap plus vswap, then
    a "random" process will be killed -- not necessarily the one
    that most immediately requested memory.

    Why vswap then?

    It is *very* common for processes to fork() and then immediately
    exec() in the new process. When you fork(), though, the entire
    memory allocation of the original process is requested to be duplicated,
    just in case the new process might want to write to it. As most of
    the time, it is just going to throw that space away, *most* of the time
    you can get away with allowing processes to "borrow" memory reservations.
    You run fine as long the total memory *really* used by the processes
    is less than the physical swap limit.

    I have vswap turned on. The only time I ever get random processes
    killed is when something runs away, and -in practice- IRIX usually ends
    up "randomly" killing the process I would have manually chosen. But I
    haven't seen it happen for years.
    --
    Caution: A subset of the statements in this message may be
    tautologically true.

  3. Re: vswap- general discussion

    Walter Roberson wrote:
    > It is *very* common for processes to fork() and then immediately
    > exec() in the new process.

    No vswap is also well-nigh unuseable on machine that use the 64 bit MPI
    library these days - the MPI library cross-maps large swathes
    of address space between processes for anything that would be
    a candidate for single copy optimisation.

    Also, if you have a batch scheduler that controls memory allocation
    either by shooting down processes detected to step over their
    physical memory reservations (or that fences processes into
    memory bound to cpusets), you don't need the safeguard that
    "no vswap" gives you: you just need enough physical swap to
    survive the time it takes for your batch scheduler to notice
    the rogue and shoot it down (usu 2 minutes). It even pays to
    have very slow swap in these conditions, as you need less of
    it .

    --
    Alexis Cousein Senior Systems Engineer
    alexis@sgi.com SGI/Silicon Graphics Brussels

  4. Re: vswap- general discussion

    Walter Roberson wrote:
    > In article <3fa0a497_1@news.iprimus.com.au>,
    > Spidy wrote:
    > :A while back (quite a while now) someone wise once told me to turn off
    > :vswap.
    >
    > :He told me why but I have since forgotten. Anyone care to comment on why
    > :this is a good/bad thing?
    >
    > Why not vswap?
    >
    > If you run out of swap space and have no vswap configured, then
    > the process that requested the additional memory will be killed.
    >
    > If you have vswap configured and you run out of swap plus vswap, then
    > a "random" process will be killed -- not necessarily the one
    > that most immediately requested memory.

    But even if you don't have vswap configured and you run out of swap,
    wouldn't a random process, still, be terminated?

    > Why vswap then?
    >
    > It is *very* common for processes to fork() and then immediately
    > exec() in the new process. When you fork(), though, the entire
    > memory allocation of the original process is requested to be duplicated,
    > just in case the new process might want to write to it. As most of
    > the time, it is just going to throw that space away, *most* of the time
    > you can get away with allowing processes to "borrow" memory reservations.
    > You run fine as long the total memory *really* used by the processes
    > is less than the physical swap limit.

    So if a process that requests so much swap, sees no vswap but can see
    available swap that doesn't quite meet its needs, would it still run and
    hope for IRIX's page replacement algorithms allocate enough swap to it
    dynamically? In other words, even though vswap is not configured, and
    the situation above occurs where there is no free swap or vswap, the
    behaviour of the system is the same as if vswap was not configured and
    swap was all used up, no?

    > I have vswap turned on. The only time I ever get random processes
    > killed is when something runs away, and -in practice- IRIX usually ends
    > up "randomly" killing the process I would have manually chosen. But I
    > haven't seen it happen for years.

  5. Re: vswap- general discussion

    In article <3fae981c_1@news.iprimus.com.au>,
    Spidy wrote:
    :But even if you don't have vswap configured and you run out of swap,
    :wouldn't a random process, still, be terminated?

    No, the process that wants the swap will be told there is not enough
    available memory, ENOMEM. If a fork() was taking place at the time,
    the fork() fails. Either way, the requesting process acts however
    it feels is appropriate [usually by promptly attempting to dereference
    the null pointer because it didn't bother to check to make sure
    the memory was actually allocated...]

    :So if a process that requests so much swap, sees no vswap but can see
    :available swap that doesn't quite meet its needs, would it still run and
    :hope for IRIX's page replacement algorithms allocate enough swap to it
    :dynamically?

    No.

    :In other words, even though vswap is not configured, and
    :the situation above occurs where there is no free swap or vswap, the
    :behaviour of the system is the same as if vswap was not configured and
    :swap was all used up, no?

    No. In the case where vswap is on and there is enough virtual space
    remaining, the calling process will be told the memory allocation
    succeeded. In the case where there is not enough memory + swap to
    fill tne entire request, the calling process will be told the
    memory allocation failed.
    --
    IMT made the sky
    Fall.