Boot hung Help - SGI

This is a discussion on Boot hung Help - SGI ; How do I start IRIX with out running the startup scripts? it is hung on loading ipf. -Ian...

  1. Boot hung Help

    How do I start IRIX with out running the startup scripts?
    it is hung on loading ipf.
    -Ian

  2. Re: Boot hung Help

    In article ,
    xman wrote:
    :How do I start IRIX with out running the startup scripts?
    :it is hung on loading ipf.

    I think ipf would not be loaded for single-user mode, since single
    user mode does not start networking.

    So... I suggest going into the prom and giving the command single

    (This won't work for sufficiently old IRIX; for those you
    have to give the manual boot command with the --s flag, or something
    like that.)
    --
    "[...] it's all part of one's right to be publicly stupid." -- Dave Smey

  3. Re: Boot hung Help

    A Dumb quesiton
    What are the commands to boot into single user mode?
    I am at the sash prompt....................................

    "Walter Roberson" wrote in message
    > In article ,
    > xman wrote:
    > :How do I start IRIX with out running the startup scripts?
    > :it is hung on loading ipf.
    >
    > I think ipf would not be loaded for single-user mode, since single
    > user mode does not start networking.
    >
    > So... I suggest going into the prom and giving the command single
    >
    > (This won't work for sufficiently old IRIX; for those you
    > have to give the manual boot command with the --s flag, or something
    > like that.)
    > --
    > "[...] it's all part of one's right to be publicly stupid." -- Dave

    Smey

  4. Re: Boot hung Help

    Never mind
    I rebooted and just typed single
    THANKS
    -Ian
    "xman" wrote in message
    > A Dumb quesiton
    > What are the commands to boot into single user mode?
    > I am at the sash prompt....................................
    >

    > "Walter Roberson" wrote in message
    > > In article ,
    > > xman wrote:
    > > :How do I start IRIX with out running the startup scripts?
    > > :it is hung on loading ipf.
    > >
    > > I think ipf would not be loaded for single-user mode, since single
    > > user mode does not start networking.
    > >
    > > So... I suggest going into the prom and giving the command single
    > >
    > > (This won't work for sufficiently old IRIX; for those you
    > > have to give the manual boot command with the --s flag, or something
    > > like that.)
    > > --
    > > "[...] it's all part of one's right to be publicly stupid." -- Dave

    > Smey

+ Reply to Thread