xlv and grio - SGI

This is a discussion on xlv and grio - SGI ; Hello, I just recently configured three system disks to mirror my system/boot disk with xlv (4 xlv volumes xlv_root.data.0.0 through xlv_root.data.3.0). However, it seems to take a tremendous amount of time to build the three empty volumes on the three ...

  1. xlv and grio

    Hello,

    I just recently configured three system disks to mirror my system/boot disk
    with xlv (4 xlv volumes xlv_root.data.0.0 through xlv_root.data.3.0).
    However, it seems to take a tremendous amount of time to build the three
    empty volumes on the three new disks. The only thing on my master/active
    disk is Irix 6.5.21 which is only 1.5gb.

    Looking through SGI's Administrating Disks manual (chapter 8) there is a
    program GRIO that dedicates IO bandwidth. The chapter talks about using
    GRIO with specific programs or striped volumes. Would this be something I
    can use to increase the build time for cloning disks?

    The only documentation I've been able to find on xlv or grio is in the
    Admin. Disks book. Are there any other, hopefully more descriptive, sources
    of information for those programs?

    Thanks,

    Rob

  2. Re: xlv and grio

    Rob Ramsey wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I just recently configured three system disks to mirror my system/boot disk
    > with xlv (4 xlv volumes xlv_root.data.0.0 through xlv_root.data.3.0).
    > However, it seems to take a tremendous amount of time to build the three
    > empty volumes on the three new disks. The only thing on my master/active
    > disk is Irix 6.5.21 which is only 1.5gb.
    >
    > Looking through SGI's Administrating Disks manual (chapter 8) there is a
    > program GRIO that dedicates IO bandwidth. The chapter talks about using
    > GRIO with specific programs or striped volumes. Would this be something I
    > can use to increase the build time for cloning disks?
    >
    > The only documentation I've been able to find on xlv or grio is in the
    > Admin. Disks book. Are there any other, hopefully more descriptive, sources
    > of information for those programs?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Rob

    Rob,

    The problem is that the plex daemon is only copying data in small block
    and slowly. This in order to allow other traffic to hit the drives in
    due time.
    You can modify the behavior of the plex daemon to make the plaxing
    faster. See man om xlv_plexd, especially -m option. You should probably
    specify something like 10240 to speed things up.

    One thing to note, if you don't know it already. The partition that
    contains / will be plexed on every boot, so it will be wise to split the
    drive in root(/) and usr partitions.

    Cheers
    John

+ Reply to Thread