netboot? - SGI

This is a discussion on netboot? - SGI ; I would like to install IRIX 6.5 om my octane I have no CDROM. can I copy the foundation CDs into another system and use bootp and tftp to install the system ? Can the other system be different from ...

  1. netboot?

    I would like to install IRIX 6.5 om my octane
    I have no CDROM.
    can I copy the foundation CDs into another system and use bootp and
    tftp to install the system ?

    Can the other system be different from IRIX ?
    I am not able to open the IRIX CDs and read them...
    thank you for any help.

    Rick

  2. Re: netboot?

    In article ,
    Rick wrote:

    >I would like to install IRIX 6.5 om my octane
    >I have no CDROM.
    >can I copy the foundation CDs into another system and use bootp and
    >tftp to install the system ?

    Yep.

    >Can the other system be different from IRIX ?

    Sure. I've done it on Linux and NetBSD at one time or another.

    >I am not able to open the IRIX CDs and read them...

    I am afraid that this leaves you somewhat screwed. You need to be able
    to get the files so that they are tftpable by the Octane.

    --
    David Evans dfevans@bbcr.uwaterloo.ca
    Ph.D. Candidate, Computer/Synth Junkie http://bbcr.uwaterloo.ca/~dfevans/

  3. Re: netboot?

    Dans article , hello@hello.com
    disait...

    > Can the other system be different from IRIX ?
    > I am not able to open the IRIX CDs and read them...

    Linux may read them, with EFS support enabled.

    --
    Quis, quid, ubi, quibus auxiliis, cur, quomodo, quando?

  4. Re: netboot?

    do you know how to read EFS file system from NetBSD or OpenBSD
    or FReeBSD so that I can mount the IRIX CDs?

    thanks

    Rick

    In article , David Evans wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Rick wrote:
    >>
    >>I would like to install IRIX 6.5 om my octane
    >>I have no CDROM.
    >>can I copy the foundation CDs into another system and use bootp and
    >>tftp to install the system ?
    >>

    > Yep.
    >
    >>Can the other system be different from IRIX ?

    > Sure. I've done it on Linux and NetBSD at one time or another.
    >
    >>I am not able to open the IRIX CDs and read them...

    > I am afraid that this leaves you somewhat screwed. You need to be able
    > to get the files so that they are tftpable by the Octane.

  5. Re: netboot?

    In article ,
    Rick wrote:

    >do you know how to read EFS file system from NetBSD or OpenBSD
    >or FReeBSD so that I can mount the IRIX CDs?

    I don't recall hearing of any of the BSDs being able to read EFS. It may
    be possible, of course; hopefully somebody will say so.

    --
    David Evans dfevans@bbcr.uwaterloo.ca
    Ph.D. Candidate, Computer/Synth Junkie http://bbcr.uwaterloo.ca/~dfevans/
    University of Waterloo "Default is the value selected by the composer
    Ontario, Canada overridden by your command." - Roland TR-707 Manual

  6. Re: netboot?

    Dans article ,
    dfevans@bcr10.uwaterloo.ca disait...

    > I don't recall hearing of any of the BSDs being able to read EFS. It may
    > be possible, of course; hopefully somebody will say so.

    NetBSD can run some IRIX binaries, I believe it to be able to read EFS
    too; however you'd bettter ask on a bsd ng.

    --
    Quis, quid, ubi, quibus auxiliis, cur, quomodo, quando?

  7. Re: netboot?

    Emmanuel Florac writes:

    >> Can the other system be different from IRIX ?
    >> I am not able to open the IRIX CDs and read them...

    > Linux may read them, with EFS support enabled.

    on an IDE drive only (SCSI and IDE-SCSI cannot set the block size)

    File attachments NOT welcome unless agreed to beforehand.

  8. Re: netboot?

    Dans article ,
    Atro.Tossavainen+news@helsinki.finland.invalid disait...

    > > Linux may read them, with EFS support enabled.

    > on an IDE drive only (SCSI and IDE-SCSI cannot set the block size)

    Interesting, why that?

    --
    Quis, quid, ubi, quibus auxiliis, cur, quomodo, quando?

  9. Re: netboot?

    Emmanuel Florac writes:

    >>> Linux may read them, with EFS support enabled.

    >> on an IDE drive only (SCSI and IDE-SCSI cannot set the block size)

    > Interesting, why that?

    You'll have to ask somebody else the "why" question - my expertise
    (hah) in the matter is restricted to having noticed it...

    File attachments NOT welcome unless agreed to beforehand.

  10. Re: netboot?

    Atro Tossavainen writes:
    > Emmanuel Florac writes:
    >
    > >> Can the other system be different from IRIX ?
    > >> I am not able to open the IRIX CDs and read them...

    > > Linux may read them, with EFS support enabled.

    > on an IDE drive only (SCSI and IDE-SCSI cannot set the block size)

    Which is not exactly a problem:

    /dev/sr1 /media/cd_efs efs ro,user,noauto,nosuid,nodev,loop 0 0
    ^^^^

    the loop driver will allow to present any block size to the driver
    Actually reads for blocks of any size and alignment will succeed if
    rerouted via the loop driver:
    losetup /dev/loop0 /usr/local/tmp/KNOPPIX_V3.3-2003-09-24-EN.iso
    dd if=/dev/loop0 skip=13 bs=455 count=2 of=/dev/null
    2+0 records in
    2+0 records out
    910 bytes transferred in 0.010906 seconds (83441 bytes/sec)

    Thomas Jahns
    --
    "Computers are good at following instructions,
    but not at reading your mind."

  11. Re: netboot?

    In article ,
    Emmanuel Florac wrote:

    : Dans article ,
    : Atro.Tossavainen+news@helsinki.finland.invalid disait...
    : > >
    : > > Linux may read them, with EFS support enabled.
    : >
    : > on an IDE drive only (SCSI and IDE-SCSI cannot set the block size)
    : >
    :
    : Interesting, why that?

    As I recall, the block-resizing code was consolidated into the loop driver in
    order to simplify a bunch of code in the kernel and remove some redundant
    functions.

    It makes much more sense to put it all in one place than to have it scattered
    around in different block drivers, or different filesystems, each instance
    implemented slightly differently.

    Cheers - Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler

  12. Re: netboot?

    Thomas Jahns writes:

    > Which is not exactly a problem:
    >
    > /dev/sr1 /media/cd_efs efs ro,user,noauto,nosuid,nodev,loop 0 0

    Thank you, and thank Nicoya too. I guess I should have bothered to try
    and find this in the documentation a bit earlier.

    File attachments NOT welcome unless agreed to beforehand.

+ Reply to Thread