Re: Converting Indigo2/R4400/-ZX into I2/R4400/MaxImpact - how? - SGI

This is a discussion on Re: Converting Indigo2/R4400/-ZX into I2/R4400/MaxImpact - how? - SGI ; mstepansky@aol.com (MStepansky) wrote: > Thanks for the help Ian and also Dino previously. Anytime. > I guess I have to keep my original R4400 motherboard because my Alias software > license is nodelocked to this board...but it would be nice ...

  1. Re: Converting Indigo2/R4400/-ZX into I2/R4400/MaxImpact - how?

    mstepansky@aol.com (MStepansky) wrote:
    > Thanks for the help Ian and also Dino previously.

    Anytime.

    > I guess I have to keep my original R4400 motherboard because my Alias software
    > license is nodelocked to this board...but it would be nice if this board can
    > use R10k cpu daughterboard and MaxImpact board.

    Just swap the Dallas chip over to the new mbd, and (if you do this buy
    acquiring an R10K system for parts) retain your original vertical riser
    board at the back (the one with the kybd/mouse ports). I think it's the
    Dallas chip which has the MAC address, but keep your original kybd/mouse
    board too just in case.

    > In summary here so far, R4400 and R10000 Indigo2 board are the same,
    > regardless of CPU speed differences, ok.

    'Fraid not. You need a new motherboard if you want to use R10K.

    > All I need is IMPACT EISA backplane and IMPACT PSU pulled out from existing
    > Indigo2/Impact box (from ebay, for example). Irix 6.5 CD set, got that ok.

    If you want to stick with R4400, yes. Otherwise, you need the R10K mbd,
    CPU and PROM too.

    > I will check for "later V11 PROM for R4K" - where is that? or how to find it,
    > Ian?

    Look at the longish chip which sits underneath the gfx board set. It will
    be of the form 030-xxxx-yyy. The xxxx digits aren't of interest, but the
    yyy digits are important. These will be 011 if you have the V11 PROM.

    Cheers!

    Ian.

  2. Re: Converting Indigo2/R4400/-ZX into I2/R4400/MaxImpact - how?

    Thanks for the help with the "V11" PROM tips. I will take a closer look in my
    Indigo2/R4k. However, it is most likely I will get the Indigo2/R10k system
    (intact) from ebay.

    So that way I can take out that "little backplane" (kybd/mouse/serials ports)
    from my Indigo2/R4k and swap it in the indigo2/R10K.

    By the way, what do you call that instead of calling it "little backplane"?
    "MAC board"?

    I did not understand exactly about the Dallas chip. Pls describe it and do you
    mean to say:

    1) Take out only the Dallas chip from my R4400 mbd's "little backplane" and
    swap it in the Indigo2/R10K "little backplane"?

    2) or....just take out the whole "little backplane" (along with Dallas chip on
    it) and swap it in the Indigo2/R10K's?

    3) or...either ways works?

    Mike

+ Reply to Thread