Upgrading an Indigo2/XZ to Indigo2/MaxImpact? - SGI

This is a discussion on Upgrading an Indigo2/XZ to Indigo2/MaxImpact? - SGI ; Hi, Doing a project here. Never mind how old SGIs are but.... First, here are the A and B facts: A) I have an Indigo2/XZ teal (GR3-Elan), 195 Mhz R4400 , 4 GB hard drive (upgraded from IRIX 5.3 to ...

  1. Upgrading an Indigo2/XZ to Indigo2/MaxImpact?

    Hi,

    Doing a project here. Never mind how old SGIs are but....

    First, here are the A and B facts:

    A) I have an Indigo2/XZ teal (GR3-Elan), 195 Mhz R4400 , 4 GB hard drive
    (upgraded from IRIX 5.3 to 6.5.x), 368 MB ram....*AND*....

    B) let's say I bought from ebay (or reputable.com) an Indigo2/Maximpact purple,
    200 Mhz R10000, 4 GB harddrive (IRIX 6.5.x), 256 or whatever RAM.

    Removal process:

    On my Indigo2/XZ side, take out the motherboard (with its R4400 CPU
    daugtherboard removed) and take out its hard drive.

    On the Indigo2/impact side, take out the motherboard (with its R10000 cpu
    daughterboard removed..to be used in next step) and take out its hard drive,
    set aside.

    Finally, at my Indigo2/impact side, put my indigo2/XZ's motherboard in that
    PURPLE box, install R10000 cpu daughterboard and insert my original hard drive.
    Max Impact board is unchanged. Power supply unchanged. Re-connect anything
    left.

    Not sure how to connect blue ribbon (extra power connector) for Impact board.
    Not sure if the "bigger" power supply will fry my original motherboard. Not
    sure if R10000 cpu will be acceptable on my original R4400-based motherboard.

    Will that following steps above work?

    You might asked me "why would you want to swap motherboard?"

    Because my Alias software license (1996) will probably NOT work if I get it
    installed on an Indigo2/Impact box because of a different motherboard, right?
    (as far as I understand, my license is nodelocked to my original Indigo2's
    motherboard only, right?).

    So instead of spare parts separately, I thought it would be easier to get an
    Indigo2/Impact box. I am just hoping (not yet test) that my Alias license
    (FlexLMgr) will work after I upgrade from 5.3 to 6.5.x. on my harddrive using
    the same Indigo2/XZ's motherboard inside the purple "Impact" box.

    Make sense? I still feel that my Alias software license should work on the
    Indigo2/MaxImpact because it is still using my Indigo2/XZ's motherboard. I
    just wanted to make sure though.

    If my Alias software license will NOT run on my Indigo2/XZ after upgrade to
    Irix 6.5.x, then there is no reason to swap motherboards but to keep the
    Indigo2/Impact as a "second" machine for explorations anyway.

    Any suggestions as to what parts I need to make upgrade work? Or links?

    Mike

  2. Re: Upgrading an Indigo2/XZ to Indigo2/MaxImpact?

    In article <20031019054413.15312.00001225@mb-m28.aol.com>,
    MStepansky wrote:
    >Hi,

    >Doing a project here. Never mind how old SGIs are but....

    >First, here are the A and B facts:

    >A) I have an Indigo2/XZ teal (GR3-Elan), 195 Mhz R4400 , 4 GB hard drive
    >(upgraded from IRIX 5.3 to 6.5.x), 368 MB ram....*AND*....

    There wasn't an Indigo2 with a 195MHz R4400.

    >B) let's say I bought from ebay (or reputable.com) an Indigo2/Maximpact purple,
    >200 Mhz R10000, 4 GB harddrive (IRIX 6.5.x), 256 or whatever RAM.

    [ ... ]
    There wasn't an Indigo2 with a 200MHz R10000 (although reportedly it's
    possible to modify an Indigo2 175MHz R10000 assembly with a CPU chip from
    another system to create one, SGI never made them).

    >You might asked me "why would you want to swap motherboard?"

    >Because my Alias software license (1996) will probably NOT work if I get it
    >installed on an Indigo2/Impact box because of a different motherboard, right?
    >(as far as I understand, my license is nodelocked to my original Indigo2's
    >motherboard only, right?).

    [ ... ]

    Actually, I believe the nodelocking is done to the MAC address, which is
    stored in a chip. You may just need to move that chip to the new system.

    Gary

    --
    Gary Heston gheston@hiwaay.net

    "Is this chicken, what I have, or is this fish? I know it's tuna, but
    it says 'Chicken by the Sea'." Jessica Simpson, on MTV _Newlyweds_

  3. Re: Upgrading an Indigo2/XZ to Indigo2/MaxImpact?

    mstepansky@aol.com (MStepansky) wrote in message news:<20031019054413.15312.00001225@mb-m28.aol.com>...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Doing a project here. Never mind how old SGIs are but....
    >
    > First, here are the A and B facts:
    >
    > A) I have an Indigo2/XZ teal (GR3-Elan), 195 Mhz R4400 , 4 GB hard drive
    > (upgraded from IRIX 5.3 to 6.5.x), 368 MB ram....*AND*....
    >
    > B) let's say I bought from ebay (or reputable.com) an Indigo2/Maximpact purple,
    > 200 Mhz R10000, 4 GB harddrive (IRIX 6.5.x), 256 or whatever RAM.
    >
    > Removal process:
    >
    > On my Indigo2/XZ side, take out the motherboard (with its R4400 CPU
    > daugtherboard removed) and take out its hard drive.
    >
    > On the Indigo2/impact side, take out the motherboard (with its R10000 cpu
    > daughterboard removed..to be used in next step) and take out its hard drive,
    > set aside.
    >
    > Finally, at my Indigo2/impact side, put my indigo2/XZ's motherboard in that
    > PURPLE box, install R10000 cpu daughterboard and insert my original hard drive.
    > Max Impact board is unchanged. Power supply unchanged. Re-connect anything
    > left.
    >
    > Not sure how to connect blue ribbon (extra power connector) for Impact board.

    This stays connected to the I2 IMPACT GIO64/EISA expansion midplane
    which stays with the IP28 motherboard (which you'll be leaving in the
    purple box - see below).

    > Not sure if the "bigger" power supply will fry my original motherboard. Not
    > sure if R10000 cpu will be acceptable on my original R4400-based motherboard.

    The 195MHz R10k CPU (the only R10k ever used in the I2) cannot be used
    on the motherboard from your teal machine. The CPU is designed to work
    with the IP28 motherboard, and not the IP22 that came with the
    original (teal) I2's.

    > Will that following steps above work?
    >
    > You might asked me "why would you want to swap motherboard?"
    >
    > Because my Alias software license (1996) will probably NOT work if I get it
    > installed on an Indigo2/Impact box because of a different motherboard, right?
    > (as far as I understand, my license is nodelocked to my original Indigo2's
    > motherboard only, right?).

    IIRC, Gary is right in that the MAC address is stored in a separate
    chip on the motherboard that can perhaps be shifted from the IP22 to
    the IP28. My notes are at home, I'll have to check them tonight...
    I'm pretty certain that you won't be able to merely shift the hard
    drive from the teal to the purple - you'll need to do a fresh install
    of IRIX (the kernal will be different going from the R4400 MIPS-3
    architecture to R10 MIPS-4, the graphics drivers are different for the
    IMPACT gfx, etc) and then copy over or reinstall your Alias SW.

    > So instead of spare parts separately, I thought it would be easier to get an
    > Indigo2/Impact box. I am just hoping (not yet test) that my Alias license
    > (FlexLMgr) will work after I upgrade from 5.3 to 6.5.x. on my harddrive using
    > the same Indigo2/XZ's motherboard inside the purple "Impact" box.
    >
    > Make sense? I still feel that my Alias software license should work on the
    > Indigo2/MaxImpact because it is still using my Indigo2/XZ's motherboard. I
    > just wanted to make sure though.
    >
    > If my Alias software license will NOT run on my Indigo2/XZ after upgrade to
    > Irix 6.5.x, then there is no reason to swap motherboards but to keep the
    > Indigo2/Impact as a "second" machine for explorations anyway.

    This R10k IMPACT I2 should be a LOT quicker than the R44k XZ, with the
    R10k working on the CPU-bound computations and the MAX IMPACT for the
    gfx. The MAX is still pretty darn good these days, and the GR3-Elan
    really doesn't compare at all with this - you may be quite amazed at
    the performance (unless you've seen your SW on a much newer box). And
    for objects with textures, you will be astounded - as long as the Max
    boardset has the optional TRAM modules (one connects to the middle PCB
    and one to the top PCB) so that you can use textures with full 24-bit
    color depths (& 4MB worth of texture RAM to play with)

    If you can't get the SW to run on the IP28, you've got one other cheap
    option.
    XZ/GR3-Elan isn't the top-end gfx for the IP22 - the EX (Extreme)
    boardset (3 PCB's) with 8 GE7's and 2 RE3's (versus 4 GE7's & 1 RE3 in
    GR3-Elan) is. You can sometimes find these on eBay, often really
    cheaply (I got one almost 2 years ago for $12). And since it uses the
    same IRIX drivers as your XZ, you just put it into the machine and
    go...

    > Any suggestions as to what parts I need to make upgrade work? Or links?
    >
    > Mike

  4. Re: Upgrading an Indigo2/XZ to Indigo2/MaxImpact?

    gmike@grex.org (Michael Doyle) writes:

    > The 195MHz R10k CPU (the only R10k ever used in the I2)

    $ uname -a
    IRIX64 jepjep 6.5 01100602 IP28
    $ hinv
    FPU: MIPS R10010 Floating Point Chip Revision: 0.0
    CPU: MIPS R10000 Processor Chip Revision: 2.5
    1 175 MHZ IP28 Processor

    This is an R10000 Indigo² with Solid Impact, and it's not running
    at 195 MHz.

    File attachments NOT welcome unless agreed to beforehand.

  5. Re: Upgrading an Indigo2/XZ to Indigo2/MaxImpact?

    In article <50b953d7.0310200614.2265c3@posting.google.com>,
    Michael Doyle wrote:
    [ ... ]
    >The 195MHz R10k CPU (the only R10k ever used in the I2)

    [ ... ]

    No, there were two--the other was 175MHz, which I have. No
    faster ones from SGI, though.

    Gary

    --
    Gary Heston gheston@hiwaay.net

    "Is this chicken, what I have, or is this fish? I know it's tuna, but
    it says 'Chicken by the Sea'." Jessica Simpson, on MTV _Newlyweds_

  6. Re: Upgrading an Indigo2/XZ to Indigo2/MaxImpact?

    gheston@hiwaay.net (Gary Heston) wrote in message news:...
    > In article <50b953d7.0310200614.2265c3@posting.google.com>,
    > Michael Doyle wrote:
    > [ ... ]
    > >The 195MHz R10k CPU (the only R10k ever used in the I2)

    > [ ... ]
    >
    > No, there were two--the other was 175MHz, which I have. No
    > faster ones from SGI, though.
    >

    > Gary

    Ooops, yes, OK, mea culpa, there is a 175MHz R10k. 195MHz was the
    fastest, and as we've pointed out, there was no '200MHz R10000' as the
    original poster wrote...

  7. Re: Upgrading an Indigo2/XZ to Indigo2/MaxImpact?

    I am back again. ok, sorry mea culpa too.

    I thought I saw 195 Mhz R4400 in my Indigo2. Maybe it is really 200 Mhz after
    all, I will have to hinv one more time.

    ok, thanks for the helpful reminder "195Mhz R10k CPU cannot be used on the
    R4400 motherboard. The CPU is designed to work with IP28 mbd - not IP22 in
    original (teal) I2's.

    Now, I understand it. This is an important key decision in helping me to
    decide to find and get R10K Indigo2 version anyway.

    Gary talked about MAC address is stored in a separate chip on the
    motherboard... I thought it is on that "little backplane" MAC board
    (serial/keyboard), rather than on the motherboard, correct?

    When someone say "on the motherboard", it leads me to look for two chips (dolly
    chip and other one on motherboard). Thats where I get confused.

    Right, I will transfer that chip (or little backplane board) to the R10K
    Indigo2/impact machine and then do a fresh install the IRIX in there.

    Didn't know about the "different kernal going from R4400 MIPS-3 architecture to
    R10 MIPS-4, and the graphics drviers are different for that IMPACT gfx, etc"
    info. Thanks for the reminder.

    Again, if I have V11 PROM (030-xxxx-011), what does that mean? I assume "you
    have Impact-ready", correct? Or is this PROM means that "you have R10K mbd"?

    Mike

+ Reply to Thread