The following header lines retained to effect attribution:
>Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 11:04:55 -0400
>From: "Christopher R. Jones"
>Subject: Re: o2 or octane running totally headless?
>To: info-iris-admin@ARL.ARMY.MIL

>Khalid Schofield wrote:

>> put this in /etc/inittab

>> S1:23456:respawn:/sbin/getty ttyS1 DT9600 vt100

>ok... playing stupid here, what exactly will the putting in the above line do?

Mis-paraphrased adjudge: Hit a person in the face with a fish and the person
hates you for a day; attempt to teach that person something and the person
will hate you for as long as that person lives. Ignorance is bliss and
ignorance is dangerous.

Now to the lesson: read the man pages for init, inittab and getty (which is
a `small' program that waits for a serial port to open, emits a login
prompt and accepts login parameters which it passes to the login program
which it exec's up top of itself).

By the way, you want some form of apparently local console capacity so that
you can do the admittedly infrequently done operation which require communi-
cation with the machine while the main operating system is not running.
That apparently local console capacity can be done using the system's
first serial port and another system's serial port connection to the
first system so that the second system appears to be a serial terminal
to the first system.

>-chris

>> On Fri, 16 Oct 2003, Dave Burns wrote:

>> > I've got an O2 and an Octane I want to stick in a tight space. Ideally
>> > I'd like to run them without monitor, keyboard or mouse, and just use
>> > ssh to administer them.
>> >
>> > In googling on this topic, all I found was an old entry here that
>> > describes how to set them up to use a terminal or terminal emulator
>> > attached to the serial port. This is sort of close, but sounds like a
>> > big hassle - buy/make a null modem cable, install an old term
>> > emulator, hook up, test, etc..
>> >
>> > Should I be calling it something other than headless? I thought I'd
>> > find something in the SG online books, but I get no hits when I search
>> > for headless.
>> >
>> > What if I just start them up like normal and then unplug everything
>> > (except power and ethernet) once they boot? It would be a big hassle
>> > the next time I need to reboot, but I might be willing to put up with
>> > it.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > TB

Randolph J. Herber, herber@fnal.gov, +1 630 840 2966, CD/CDFTF PK-149F,
Mail Stop 318, Fermilab, Kirk & Pine Rds., PO Box 500, Batavia, IL 60510-0500,
USA. (Speaking for myself and not for US, US DOE, FNAL nor URA.) (Product,
trade, or service marks herein belong to their respective owners.)