o2 or octane running totally headless? - SGI

This is a discussion on o2 or octane running totally headless? - SGI ; I've got an O2 and an Octane I want to stick in a tight space. Ideally I'd like to run them without monitor, keyboard or mouse, and just use ssh to administer them. In googling on this topic, all I ...

  1. o2 or octane running totally headless?

    I've got an O2 and an Octane I want to stick in a tight space. Ideally
    I'd like to run them without monitor, keyboard or mouse, and just use
    ssh to administer them.

    In googling on this topic, all I found was an old entry here that
    describes how to set them up to use a terminal or terminal emulator
    attached to the serial port. This is sort of close, but sounds like a
    big hassle - buy/make a null modem cable, install an old term
    emulator, hook up, test, etc..

    Should I be calling it something other than headless? I thought I'd
    find something in the SG online books, but I get no hits when I search
    for headless.

    What if I just start them up like normal and then unplug everything
    (except power and ethernet) once they boot? It would be a big hassle
    the next time I need to reboot, but I might be willing to put up with
    it.

    Thanks,
    TB

  2. Re: o2 or octane running totally headless?

    Dave Burns wrote:

    > I've got an O2 and an Octane I want to stick in a tight space. Ideally
    > I'd like to run them without monitor, keyboard or mouse, and just use
    > ssh to administer them.
    >
    > In googling on this topic, all I found was an old entry here that
    > describes how to set them up to use a terminal or terminal emulator
    > attached to the serial port. This is sort of close, but sounds like a
    > big hassle - buy/make a null modem cable, install an old term
    > emulator, hook up, test, etc..
    >
    > Should I be calling it something other than headless? I thought I'd
    > find something in the SG online books, but I get no hits when I search
    > for headless.
    >
    > What if I just start them up like normal and then unplug everything
    > (except power and ethernet) once they boot? It would be a big hassle
    > the next time I need to reboot, but I might be willing to put up with
    > it.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > TB

    at the console monitor 'setenv console d'
    sets the console in diagnostic mode, meaning serial port, you don't have
    to hook anything
    to the serial port. unplug the keyboard mouse and monitor, and should be
    a go.

  3. Re: o2 or octane running totally headless?

    put this in /etc/inittab

    S1:23456:respawn:/sbin/getty ttyS1 DT9600 vt100

    regards

    *********************
    Khalid Schofield
    System Administrator / EM Technician
    Dept. Of Materials
    University Of Oxford
    Parks Road
    Oxford
    OX1 3PH

    Tel: 01865 273785
    Fax: 01865 283333

    On Fri, 16 Oct 2003, Dave Burns wrote:

    > I've got an O2 and an Octane I want to stick in a tight space. Ideally
    > I'd like to run them without monitor, keyboard or mouse, and just use
    > ssh to administer them.
    >
    > In googling on this topic, all I found was an old entry here that
    > describes how to set them up to use a terminal or terminal emulator
    > attached to the serial port. This is sort of close, but sounds like a
    > big hassle - buy/make a null modem cable, install an old term
    > emulator, hook up, test, etc..
    >
    > Should I be calling it something other than headless? I thought I'd
    > find something in the SG online books, but I get no hits when I search
    > for headless.
    >
    > What if I just start them up like normal and then unplug everything
    > (except power and ethernet) once they boot? It would be a big hassle
    > the next time I need to reboot, but I might be willing to put up with
    > it.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > TB

  4. Re: o2 or octane running totally headless?

    Khalid Schofield wrote:

    > put this in /etc/inittab
    >
    > S1:23456:respawn:/sbin/getty ttyS1 DT9600 vt100

    ok... playing stupid here, what exactly will the putting in the above line do?

    -chris

    > On Fri, 16 Oct 2003, Dave Burns wrote:
    >
    > > I've got an O2 and an Octane I want to stick in a tight space. Ideally
    > > I'd like to run them without monitor, keyboard or mouse, and just use
    > > ssh to administer them.
    > >
    > > In googling on this topic, all I found was an old entry here that
    > > describes how to set them up to use a terminal or terminal emulator
    > > attached to the serial port. This is sort of close, but sounds like a
    > > big hassle - buy/make a null modem cable, install an old term
    > > emulator, hook up, test, etc..
    > >
    > > Should I be calling it something other than headless? I thought I'd
    > > find something in the SG online books, but I get no hits when I search
    > > for headless.
    > >
    > > What if I just start them up like normal and then unplug everything
    > > (except power and ethernet) once they boot? It would be a big hassle
    > > the next time I need to reboot, but I might be willing to put up with
    > > it.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > TB

  5. Re: o2 or octane running totally headless?

    Sorry my fault I should have explained (being lazey).

    It sets up the com port as a terminal port so yo can plug in a vt100
    terminal into the port and admin your box ;-)

    *********************

    On Fri, 17 Oct 2003, Christopher R. Jones wrote:

    > Khalid Schofield wrote:
    > >
    > > put this in /etc/inittab
    > >
    > > S1:23456:respawn:/sbin/getty ttyS1 DT9600 vt100
    > >

    > ok... playing stupid here, what exactly will the putting in the above line do?
    >
    > -chris
    >

    > > On Fri, 16 Oct 2003, Dave Burns wrote:
    > >
    > > > I've got an O2 and an Octane I want to stick in a tight space. Ideally
    > > > I'd like to run them without monitor, keyboard or mouse, and just use
    > > > ssh to administer them.
    > > >
    > > > In googling on this topic, all I found was an old entry here that
    > > > describes how to set them up to use a terminal or terminal emulator
    > > > attached to the serial port. This is sort of close, but sounds like a
    > > > big hassle - buy/make a null modem cable, install an old term
    > > > emulator, hook up, test, etc..
    > > >
    > > > Should I be calling it something other than headless? I thought I'd
    > > > find something in the SG online books, but I get no hits when I search
    > > > for headless.
    > > >
    > > > What if I just start them up like normal and then unplug everything
    > > > (except power and ethernet) once they boot? It would be a big hassle
    > > > the next time I need to reboot, but I might be willing to put up with
    > > > it.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks,
    > > > TB

  6. Re: o2 or octane running totally headless?

    Khalid Schofield wrote:
    > put this in /etc/inittab
    >
    > S1:23456:respawn:/sbin/getty ttyS1 DT9600 vt100

    Well, on an IRIX system you wil most likely find a line like this in the
    /etc/inittab:

    t1:23ff:/sbin/suattr -C CAP_FOWNER,CAP_DEVICE_MGT,CAP_DAC_WRITE+ip \
    -c "exec /sbin/getty ttyd1 console" # alt console

    In order to enable login on the console replace ff: with :respawn: ,
    then login will be getty/login will be spawned on the serial port 1 when
    system is booted.

    If you want test it without reboot execute telinit q after you have made
    the change to /etc/inittab .

    Cheers
    John

    > regards
    >
    > *********************
    > Khalid Schofield
    > System Administrator / EM Technician
    > Dept. Of Materials
    > University Of Oxford
    > Parks Road
    > Oxford
    > OX1 3PH
    >
    > Email: khalid.schofield@materials.ox.ac.uk
    > Tel: 01865 273785
    > Fax: 01865 283333
    > Web: http://www-em.materials.ox.ac.uk/peo...eld/index.html
    >

    > On Fri, 16 Oct 2003, Dave Burns wrote:
    >

    >>I've got an O2 and an Octane I want to stick in a tight space. Ideally
    >>I'd like to run them without monitor, keyboard or mouse, and just use
    >>ssh to administer them.
    >>
    >>In googling on this topic, all I found was an old entry here that
    >>describes how to set them up to use a terminal or terminal emulator
    >>attached to the serial port. This is sort of close, but sounds like a
    >>big hassle - buy/make a null modem cable, install an old term
    >>emulator, hook up, test, etc..
    >>
    >>Should I be calling it something other than headless? I thought I'd
    >>find something in the SG online books, but I get no hits when I search
    >>for headless.
    >>
    >>What if I just start them up like normal and then unplug everything
    >>(except power and ethernet) once they boot? It would be a big hassle
    >>the next time I need to reboot, but I might be willing to put up with
    >>it.
    >>
    >>Thanks,
    >>TB

+ Reply to Thread