Help with netstat - SGI

This is a discussion on Help with netstat - SGI ; I'm new to system administration, and have a quick question regarding the output of netstat on my Origin 200. When I run netstat with the -i tag, here's my output: Name Mtu Network Address Ipkts Ierrs Opkts Oerrs Coll ef0 ...

  1. Help with netstat

    I'm new to system administration, and have a quick question regarding
    the output of netstat on my Origin 200. When I run netstat with the -i
    tag, here's my output:

    Name Mtu Network Address Ipkts Ierrs Opkts
    Oerrs Coll
    ef0 1500 192.168.80 Origin200 628755 0 1055818
    0 168417
    ef1 1500 192.168.81 Origin200-81 1298844 0 1758457
    0 0
    lo0 32992 loopback localhost 21586 0 21586
    0 0

    Some background info: both ef0 and ef1 should be receiving equal
    traffic from the network -- they are each connected to a separate
    switch, and provide Appletalk service to two separate subnets of Macs.

    So what's wrong? I obviously have either a configuration problem, or a
    bug in my netstat -- why else would I have a huge number of collisions
    on one interface, and zero collisions on the other, even though both
    should have roughly the same amount of traffic? Also, the traffic in
    general should be relatively low. From all physical indicators, there
    should not be a heavy network load on either of these networks.

    Thanks for the help.

    -Rob Brazier

  2. Re: Help with netstat

    In article <2645a70b.0310150826.3331b698@posting.google.com>,
    Rob Brazier wrote:
    :I'm new to system administration, and have a quick question regarding
    :the output of netstat on my Origin 200. When I run netstat with the -i
    :tag, here's my output:

    :Name Mtu Network Address Ipkts Ierrs Opkts
    :Oerrs Coll
    :ef0 1500 192.168.80 Origin200 628755 0 1055818
    :0 168417
    :ef1 1500 192.168.81 Origin200-81 1298844 0 1758457
    :0 0

    :So what's wrong? I obviously have either a configuration problem, or a
    :bug in my netstat -- why else would I have a huge number of collisions
    n one interface, and zero collisions on the other, even though both
    :should have roughly the same amount of traffic?

    Collisions can only happen on half duplex links. Somehow, you
    have configured ef0 to be half-duplex while ef1 is full duplex.

    You can examine the duplex state via /usr/etc/ifconfig :

    For 100baseTX interfaces, such as 'ef', LINK0 being set indicates that
    the device is operating at full-duplex.

    Please see the 'ethernet' man page for information on adjusting
    the duplex.
    --
    Warhol's Second Law of Usenet: "In the future, everyone will troll
    for 15 minutes."

+ Reply to Thread