HD surface check on an SGI o2 - SGI

This is a discussion on HD surface check on an SGI o2 - SGI ; Hello, I've got a harddisk which I would like to test to see if it hasn't too much bad blocks for example. On Solaris I could do this booting on solaris CD and then running the verify command in the ...

  1. HD surface check on an SGI o2

    Hello,

    I've got a harddisk which I would like to test to see if it hasn't too
    much bad blocks for example. On Solaris I could do this booting on
    solaris CD and then running the verify command in the format tool. Is
    there any equivalent on SGI ? Like booting on the instal CD and running
    a command to analyze the disks surface ?

    Thanks

  2. Re: HD surface check on an SGI o2

    Syn wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I've got a harddisk which I would like to test to see if it hasn't too
    > much bad blocks for example. On Solaris I could do this booting on
    > solaris CD and then running the verify command in the format tool. Is
    > there any equivalent on SGI ? Like booting on the instal CD and running
    > a command to analyze the disks surface ?
    >
    > Thanks

    do a 'man fx'

  3. Re: HD surface check on an SGI o2

    In article <3F8A6BF8.5080507@hotmail.com>,
    Syn wrote:
    :I've got a harddisk which I would like to test to see if it hasn't too
    :much bad blocks for example. On Solaris I could do this booting on
    :solaris CD and then running the verify command in the format tool. Is
    :there any equivalent on SGI ? Like booting on the instal CD and running
    :a command to analyze the disks surface ?

    In IRIX, you can do it "live". Use the program 'fx'. For read-only
    tests, you do NOT need fx's "extended options". Once in fx,
    give the command exercise and use whatever of the subcommands
    you want from there... most likely sequential for your purposes.
    --
    Before responding, take into account the possibility that the Universe
    was created just an instant ago, and that you have not actually read

  4. Re: HD surface check on an SGI o2

    Walter Roberson wrote:

    > In IRIX, you can do it "live". Use the program 'fx'. For read-only
    > tests, you do NOT need fx's "extended options". Once in fx,
    > give the command exercise and use whatever of the subcommands
    > you want from there... most likely sequential for your purposes.

    Well as the disk I need to scan doesn't have IRIX installed on it I used the
    Overlay CD 1 to boot from and start fx from it. Then I used the exercise
    option and started a "complete" scan. And it's now currently scanning since a
    few hours.

    Regards

+ Reply to Thread