No power on my r10k - SGI

This is a discussion on No power on my r10k - SGI ; I have an SGI Indigo2 r10k. I was using the auto format on the 6.5 core cds to reformat some disks. After the disk was done reformating I did the exit command at the promp and powered off the machine. ...

  1. No power on my r10k

    I have an SGI Indigo2 r10k. I was using the auto format on the 6.5
    core cds to reformat some disks. After the disk was done reformating
    I did the exit command at the promp and powered off the machine. I
    later returned to the machine and found it would not power on. I am
    at a loss I was hoping someone could tell me if there is a secret
    switch to turn back on the machine. Thanks
    Josh

  2. Re: No power on my r10k

    In article ,
    Josh Mack wrote:
    >I have an SGI Indigo2 r10k. I was using the auto format on the 6.5
    >core cds to reformat some disks. After the disk was done reformating
    >I did the exit command at the promp and powered off the machine. I
    >later returned to the machine and found it would not power on. I am
    >at a loss I was hoping someone could tell me if there is a secret
    >switch to turn back on the machine. Thanks

    Disconnect the power cord from the back. Let it sit for 15-20 minutes.
    Reconnect the power cord. Most likely, it'll power up when you hit the
    button.

    Gary

    --
    Gary Heston gheston@hiwaay.net

    "Is this chicken, what I have, or is this fish? I know it's tuna, but
    it says 'Chicken by the Sea'." Jessica Simpson, on MTV _Newlyweds_

  3. Re: No power on my r10k

    gheston@hiwaay.net (Gary Heston) wrote in message news:...
    > In article ,
    > Josh Mack wrote:
    > >I have an SGI Indigo2 r10k. I was using the auto format on the 6.5
    > >core cds to reformat some disks. After the disk was done reformating
    > >I did the exit command at the promp and powered off the machine. I
    > >later returned to the machine and found it would not power on. I am
    > >at a loss I was hoping someone could tell me if there is a secret
    > >switch to turn back on the machine. Thanks

    > Disconnect the power cord from the back. Let it sit for 15-20 minutes.
    > Reconnect the power cord. Most likely, it'll power up when you hit the
    > button.
    >

    > Gary

    Thanks for the tip you were completely correct.

    Josh

  4. Re: No power on my r10k

    > > Disconnect the power cord from the back. Let it sit for 15-20 minutes.
    > > Reconnect the power cord. Most likely, it'll power up when you hit the
    > > button.
    > >

    > > Gary

    > Thanks for the tip you were completely correct.

    This is a sign that the PSU is slowly dieing on you. The impact Indigo2 PSU are known to be
    pretty faulty.

  5. Re: No power on my r10k

    gheston@hiwaay.net (Gary Heston) wrote in message news:...
    > In article ,
    > Josh Mack wrote:
    > >I have an SGI Indigo2 r10k. I was using the auto format on the 6.5
    > >core cds to reformat some disks. After the disk was done reformating
    > >I did the exit command at the promp and powered off the machine. I
    > >later returned to the machine and found it would not power on. I am
    > >at a loss I was hoping someone could tell me if there is a secret
    > >switch to turn back on the machine. Thanks

    > Disconnect the power cord from the back. Let it sit for 15-20 minutes.
    > Reconnect the power cord. Most likely, it'll power up when you hit the
    > button.
    >

    > Gary

    May be a sign of impending PSU failure though. It was for me, and
    others I have heard of.

    James

  6. Re: No power on my r10k

    Josh Mack wrote:

    > I have an SGI Indigo2 r10k. I was using the auto format on the 6.5
    > core cds to reformat some disks. After the disk was done reformating
    > I did the exit command at the promp and powered off the machine. I
    > later returned to the machine and found it would not power on. I am
    > at a loss I was hoping someone could tell me if there is a secret
    > switch to turn back on the machine. Thanks
    > Josh

    Donīt miss Tony "Nicoya" Mantlerīs PSU replacemen-of-capacitors trick!
    Otherwise - maybe not long from now - it will not power up after disconnect.
    Or, even worse: it starts to power down spontaneously.

    Walther

  7. Re: No power on my r10k

    gro_removethis_ups@jamesholden.net (James Holden) wrote in message news:<28517db1.0310121536.59a200f9@posting.google.com>...
    > gheston@hiwaay.net (Gary Heston) wrote in message news:...
    > >
    > > Disconnect the power cord from the back. Let it sit for 15-20 minutes.
    > > Reconnect the power cord. Most likely, it'll power up when you hit the
    > > button.
    > >

    > > Gary

    > May be a sign of impending PSU failure though. It was for me, and
    > others I have heard of.

    Does SGI provide less faulty, newer, PSUs for Indigo2? Or,
    alternatively, does any of the second-hand shops sell "fixed" PSUs?

    César

  8. Re: No power on my r10k

    In article <3F8BA0DE.C4AC4BD1@in4tec.de>, Walther Mathieu
    wrote:

    : Josh Mack wrote:
    :
    : > I have an SGI Indigo2 r10k. I was using the auto format on the 6.5
    : > core cds to reformat some disks. After the disk was done reformating
    : > I did the exit command at the promp and powered off the machine. I
    : > later returned to the machine and found it would not power on. I am
    : > at a loss I was hoping someone could tell me if there is a secret
    : > switch to turn back on the machine. Thanks
    : > Josh
    :
    : Donīt miss Tony "Nicoya" Mantlerīs PSU replacemen-of-capacitors trick!
    : Otherwise - maybe not long from now - it will not power up after disconnect.
    : Or, even worse: it starts to power down spontaneously.

    http://ubb.ca/i2ps/ for the google-impaired.

    Cheers - Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler