Re: remove a password - SGI

This is a discussion on Re: remove a password - SGI ; Ditto: fool! haha well easily done mate. Read the question _again_! The request was not how to remove the root password; rather, it was how to how to remove the hardware password that would prevent doing your method to remove ...

  1. Re: remove a password

    Ditto: fool! haha well easily done mate.

    Read the question _again_! The request was not how to remove the
    root password; rather, it was how to how to remove the hardware
    password that would prevent doing your method to remove the root
    password. I presumed that he could login as root. If so, then
    the hardware password can be removed using nvram passwd_key ''.

    Beware! There are two of them!

    The following header lines retained to effect attribution:
    >Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 07:38:28 +0100
    >From: Khalid Schofield
    >Subject: Re: remove a password
    >To: maxime grenu , info-iris-admin@ARL.ARMY.MIL

    >fool! haha well easily done mate.

    >ok boot off of the irix 6.5 cd then when ur in the 'inst' program press
    >the number that corrisponds to the 'admin' menue item. Then press the
    >number that corrisponds to the 'exit to chrooted shell' or words to that
    >effect maybe 'exit to shell' or something like that. Then type passwd as
    >norm to change it. Since the shell is chrooted the /etc/passwd is the
    >system disks /etc/passwd and not the cd's passwd file. Well don't you love
    >irix. You try doing this on a PeeCee or on a linux box.

    >good luck.

    >p.s. I've had to hack 2 boxes this way so it does work.

    >happy hacking

    >*********************
    >Khalid Schofield
    >System Administrator / EM Technician
    >Dept. Of Materials
    >University Of Oxford
    >Parks Road
    >Oxford
    >OX1 3PH

    >Email: khalid.schofield@materials.ox.ac.uk
    >Tel: 01865 273785
    >Fax: 01865 283333
    >Web: http://www-em.materials.ox.ac.uk/peo...eld/index.html

    >On Thu, 9 Oct 2003, maxime grenu wrote:

    >> hello i did something silly on a o2 at startup in stop for maintenance i put
    >> a password to access such as "enter command monitor" or "recover system" how
    >> can i remove this ?
    >> please help

    Randolph J. Herber, herber@fnal.gov, +1 630 840 2966, CD/CDFTF PK-149F,
    Mail Stop 318, Fermilab, Kirk & Pine Rds., PO Box 500, Batavia, IL 60510-0500,
    USA. (Speaking for myself and not for US, US DOE, FNAL nor URA.) (Product,
    Trade, or service marks herein belong to their respective owners.)

  2. Re: remove a password

    the thing is i cant access to the "system root" and i can't access to the
    hardware password"
    i think i can access to the root password this way :
    bypass the password by put the jumper on in the motherboard and after that
    in the console type "resetpw"
    this would do for the hadware password but i have no ids for the system
    password because the main problem is the system date "1 january 1970"
    because of the battery and when you change the root password and you reboot
    the machine its asking you to change the password because its not up to date
    again and again and again nad again and again..........

    news: HMJtx7.8p0y@arl.army.mil...

+ Reply to Thread