remove a password - SGI

This is a discussion on remove a password - SGI ; hello i did something silly on a o2 at startup in stop for maintenance i put a password to access such as "enter command monitor" or "recover system" how can i remove this ? please help...

  1. remove a password

    hello i did something silly on a o2 at startup in stop for maintenance i put
    a password to access such as "enter command monitor" or "recover system" how
    can i remove this ?
    please help

  2. Re: remove a password

    fool! haha well easily done mate.

    ok boot off of the irix 6.5 cd then when ur in the 'inst' program press
    the number that corrisponds to the 'admin' menue item. Then press the
    number that corrisponds to the 'exit to chrooted shell' or words to that
    effect maybe 'exit to shell' or something like that. Then type passwd as
    norm to change it. Since the shell is chrooted the /etc/passwd is the
    system disks /etc/passwd and not the cd's passwd file. Well don't you love
    irix. You try doing this on a PeeCee or on a linux box.

    good luck.

    p.s. I've had to hack 2 boxes this way so it does work.

    happy hacking

    *********************
    Khalid Schofield
    System Administrator / EM Technician
    Dept. Of Materials
    University Of Oxford
    Parks Road
    Oxford
    OX1 3PH

    Tel: 01865 273785
    Fax: 01865 283333

    On Thu, 9 Oct 2003, maxime grenu wrote:

    > hello i did something silly on a o2 at startup in stop for maintenance i put
    > a password to access such as "enter command monitor" or "recover system" how
    > can i remove this ?
    > please help

  3. Re: remove a password

    maxime grenu wrote:

    > hello i did something silly on a o2 at startup in stop for maintenance i put
    > a password to access such as "enter command monitor" or "recover system" how
    > can i remove this ?
    > please help

    http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/tpl/...4.html#id63395

  4. Re: remove a password

    "Rod Emerson" wrote in message
    > maxime grenu wrote:
    > >
    > > hello i did something silly on a o2 at startup in stop for maintenance i

    put
    > > a password to access such as "enter command monitor" or "recover system"

    how
    > > can i remove this ?
    > > please help

    http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/tpl/...4.html#id63395
    Or, if you still know the root password, then you can login as root and do:

    nvram passwd_key ''

+ Reply to Thread