This Iris Indigo is going to drive me insane!!!!!! - SGI

This is a discussion on This Iris Indigo is going to drive me insane!!!!!! - SGI ; Hello Group: More on this damn machine! ok I have just gotten a new 9 gig IBM disk drive a DCHS 09F a 50 pin single ended disk tried to make a single partition no luck it wants all 9.11 ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: This Iris Indigo is going to drive me insane!!!!!!

  1. This Iris Indigo is going to drive me insane!!!!!!

    Hello Group:
    More on this damn machine! ok I have just gotten a new 9 gig IBM disk
    drive a DCHS 09F a 50 pin single ended disk
    tried to make a single partition no luck it wants all 9.11 gigs will not
    stop at 8 gigs ok so I manually attempt to create a
    single partition or even multiple partitions just no luck! is there any
    sites or technical documentation on the EFS system.
    All I wanted is one drive to hold all of the software still available
    for this computer never realized what a nightmare it would be.
    I have formatted old CPM system disks that never were as nightmarish as
    this! I am totally bummed can anyone offer any
    help Or should I just take a hammer to it and get some joy for the
    anguish it has caused me?

    jimgeneva@earthlink.net


  2. Re: This Iris Indigo is going to drive me insane!!!!!!

    In article <3F838C31.70442B4B@earthlink.net>,
    James C. Geneva wrote:
    : More on this damn machine! ok I have just gotten a new 9 gig IBM disk
    :drive a DCHS 09F a 50 pin single ended disk
    :tried to make a single partition no luck it wants all 9.11 gigs will not
    :stop at 8 gigs ok so I manually attempt to create a
    :single partition or even multiple partitions just no luck! is there any
    :sites or technical documentation on the EFS system.

    $ man efs. Says in the Description that the filesystem limit is 8 Gb.

    The rest of what you have to know is not about EFS but about fx!


    :All I wanted is one drive to hold all of the software still available
    :for this computer never realized what a nightmare it would be.

    For now, just go into fx and give the command /repartition/resize
    and resize the swap partition so that the root partition is left
    with 8 Gb.

    It's a bit of a waste, perhaps, to allocate 1.1 Gb for swap on that
    system, but at least it will get you going.
    --
    Inevitably, someone will flame me about this .signature.

  3. Re: This Iris Indigo is going to drive me insane!!!!!!

    Walter Roberson wrote:
    >
    > In article <3F838C31.70442B4B@earthlink.net>,
    > James C. Geneva wrote:
    > : More on this damn machine! ok I have just gotten a new 9 gig IBM disk
    > :drive a DCHS 09F a 50 pin single ended disk
    > :tried to make a single partition no luck it wants all 9.11 gigs will not
    > :stop at 8 gigs ok so I manually attempt to create a
    > :single partition or even multiple partitions just no luck! is there any
    > :sites or technical documentation on the EFS system.
    >
    > $ man efs. Says in the Description that the filesystem limit is 8 Gb.
    >
    > The rest of what you have to know is not about EFS but about fx!
    >
    > :All I wanted is one drive to hold all of the software still available
    > :for this computer never realized what a nightmare it would be.
    >
    > For now, just go into fx and give the command /repartition/resize
    > and resize the swap partition so that the root partition is left
    > with 8 Gb.
    >
    > It's a bit of a waste, perhaps, to allocate 1.1 Gb for swap on that
    > system, but at least it will get you going.


    Yup... Walter called it. It's because you're using efs. Is there any reason in
    particular that you're using efs on purpose?

    -chris

    --
    Chris Jones
    ASDC Senior Systems Administrator
    ---------------------------------
    Did you konw taht the hmuan biran can raed wrods no
    mtater waht odrer the lteters are in as lnog as the
    fisrt and lsat lteters are croerct?

  4. Re: This Iris Indigo is going to drive me insane!!!!!!

    HI:
    because I dont have a copy of Iris Indigo xfs filesystem just the basic efs setup
    CD.

    jimgeneva

    "Christopher R. Jones" wrote:

    > Walter Roberson wrote:
    > >
    > > In article <3F838C31.70442B4B@earthlink.net>,
    > > James C. Geneva wrote:
    > > : More on this damn machine! ok I have just gotten a new 9 gig IBM disk
    > > :drive a DCHS 09F a 50 pin single ended disk
    > > :tried to make a single partition no luck it wants all 9.11 gigs will not
    > > :stop at 8 gigs ok so I manually attempt to create a
    > > :single partition or even multiple partitions just no luck! is there any
    > > :sites or technical documentation on the EFS system.
    > >
    > > $ man efs. Says in the Description that the filesystem limit is 8 Gb.
    > >
    > > The rest of what you have to know is not about EFS but about fx!
    > >
    > > :All I wanted is one drive to hold all of the software still available
    > > :for this computer never realized what a nightmare it would be.
    > >
    > > For now, just go into fx and give the command /repartition/resize
    > > and resize the swap partition so that the root partition is left
    > > with 8 Gb.
    > >
    > > It's a bit of a waste, perhaps, to allocate 1.1 Gb for swap on that
    > > system, but at least it will get you going.

    >
    > Yup... Walter called it. It's because you're using efs. Is there any reason in
    > particular that you're using efs on purpose?
    >
    > -chris
    >
    > --
    > Chris Jones
    > ASDC Senior Systems Administrator
    > ---------------------------------
    > Did you konw taht the hmuan biran can raed wrods no
    > mtater waht odrer the lteters are in as lnog as the
    > fisrt and lsat lteters are croerct?



  5. Re: This Iris Indigo is going to drive me insane!!!!!!

    "James C. Geneva" wrote:
    >
    > HI:
    > because I dont have a copy of Iris Indigo xfs filesystem just the basic efs setup
    > CD.
    >
    > jimgeneva
    >
    > >
    > > Yup... Walter called it. It's because you're using efs. Is there any reason in
    > > particular that you're using efs on purpose?
    > >
    > > -chris


    That sucks dude... sorry to hear.

    -chris

    --
    Chris Jones
    ASDC Senior Systems Administrator
    ---------------------------------
    Did you konw taht the hmuan biran can raed wrods no
    mtater waht odrer the lteters are in as lnog as the
    fisrt and lsat lteters are croerct?

  6. Re: This Iris Indigo is going to drive me insane!!!!!!

    In article <3F83F921.FD9DC479@larc.nasa.gov>,
    Christopher R. Jones wrote:
    :Yup... Walter called it. It's because you're using efs. Is there any reason in
    articular that you're using efs on purpose?

    The topic is "Iris Indigo". If it's an R3000 Indigo, it would be
    limited to IRIX 5.3, which did not include XFS. "IRIX 5.3 With XFS"
    was not at all common.
    --
    IMT made the sky
    Fall.

  7. Re: This Iris Indigo is going to drive me insane!!!!!!

    Walter Roberson wrote:
    >
    > In article <3F83F921.FD9DC479@larc.nasa.gov>,
    > Christopher R. Jones wrote:
    > :Yup... Walter called it. It's because you're using efs. Is there any reason in
    > articular that you're using efs on purpose?
    >
    > The topic is "Iris Indigo". If it's an R3000 Indigo, it would be
    > limited to IRIX 5.3, which did not include XFS. "IRIX 5.3 With XFS"
    > was not at all common.


    Well... don't I feel like the dork then.. You're totally right. I forget about those
    older configurations...

    -chris

    --
    Chris Jones
    ASDC Senior Systems Administrator
    ---------------------------------
    Did you konw taht the hmuan biran can raed wrods no
    mtater waht odrer the lteters are in as lnog as the
    fisrt and lsat lteters are croerct?

  8. Re: This Iris Indigo is going to drive me insane!!!!!!

    It's not a problem :-)

    first go get a glass of white wine and put on some classical music. Next
    if it were me I would either stop and use the new file system xfs and not
    EFS (it's pants in comparison). There is also a GUI for disk initializing,
    use the system manager to find it. Don't fx the disk as a user drive use
    the manaual options. That is where you are going wrong. Indigo's are cool
    machines all be it very old. A hammer would be interesting but only for
    about 15 seconds. I have an old Indy running as my home mail server and
    mp3 server. I have a 40Gb SCSI disk partitioned as 30Gb's and 10Gb's. The
    30Gb partition is /usr/people and the 10Gb's is /usr/data and has my mp3
    collection on it. The nice thig about irix is that you can ssh into the
    box and run mpg123 *.mp3, outputs to the iris audio :-).

    If you want more consise info email me direct and I'll talk you through
    it.

    *********************
    Khalid Schofield
    System Administrator / EM Technician
    Dept. Of Materials
    University Of Oxford
    Parks Road
    Oxford
    OX1 3PH

    Email: khalid.schofield@materials.ox.ac.uk
    Tel: 01865 273785
    Fax: 01865 283333
    Web: http://www-em.materials.ox.ac.uk/peo...eld/index.html


    On Wed, 8 Oct 2003, James C. Geneva wrote:

    > Hello Group:
    > More on this damn machine! ok I have just gotten a new 9 gig IBM disk
    > drive a DCHS 09F a 50 pin single ended disk
    > tried to make a single partition no luck it wants all 9.11 gigs will not
    > stop at 8 gigs ok so I manually attempt to create a
    > single partition or even multiple partitions just no luck! is there any
    > sites or technical documentation on the EFS system.
    > All I wanted is one drive to hold all of the software still available
    > for this computer never realized what a nightmare it would be.
    > I have formatted old CPM system disks that never were as nightmarish as
    > this! I am totally bummed can anyone offer any
    > help Or should I just take a hammer to it and get some joy for the
    > anguish it has caused me?
    >
    > jimgeneva@earthlink.net
    >
    >


  9. Re: This Iris Indigo is going to drive me insane!!!!!!

    In news:3F838C31.70442B4B@earthlink.net, James C. Geneva wrote:

    > Or should I just take a hammer to it and get some joy for the
    > anguish it has caused me?


    It would probably only crack the skins, break the door, and tire you
    out.

    --
    #include
    Christopher Miller
    cm007i@hotmail.com



  10. Re: This Iris Indigo is going to drive me insane!!!!!!

    Hello:
    LOL thank you I need that one!
    I have managed to get it going! I fx the disk forcing it to just use 8
    gigs and not all 9.11 gigs but I could not get the software to install
    some intermediate problem of it trying to install all software on the
    mini root I think? So I used the repair a file system option I luckily
    had made a backup of the original 1 gig hard disk so I used it and BANG
    finally I have something that works. I still have a tiny problem
    which when first turned on I am getting this:

    auto reconfiguring operating system
    /var/sysgen/Root/usr/bin/ld:
    error undefined:
    mrt.ioctl
    legal_vif_num
    ip_mroute_init
    ip_mroute_slowtimo
    lboot: ld returned 256 -- failed

    but then boots 5.3 with no problems
    after shutdown and restart or when turning it on the next time it print
    the same message again

    thankfully the xpio missing from slot 0 xpio missing from slot
    1 gtro missing has gone away for good.

    THANK YOU ALL WHO OFFERED HELP!!!!

    jimgeneva

    "<<>>" wrote:

    > In news:3F838C31.70442B4B@earthlink.net, James C. Geneva wrote:
    >
    > > Or should I just take a hammer to it and get some joy for the
    > > anguish it has caused me?

    >
    > It would probably only crack the skins, break the door, and tire you
    > out.
    >
    > --
    > #include
    > Christopher Miller
    > cm007i@hotmail.com



  11. Re: This Iris Indigo is going to drive me insane!!!!!!

    In article <3F84E711.1C9C721F@earthlink.net>,
    James C. Geneva wrote:
    [IRIX 5.3]

    :auto reconfiguring operating system
    :/var/sysgen/Root/usr/bin/ld:
    :error undefined:
    :mrt.ioctl
    :legal_vif_num
    :ip_mroute_init
    :ip_mroute_slowtimo

    All four of those are defined in /var/sysgen/master.d/boot/ip_mroute.o
    which is part of the package eoe2.sw.ipgate . Somehow, you've managed
    to not install it, or to install an incompatible version.

    ip_mroute.o is also changed by patchSG0002770 .

    There's a long list of patches that you really should have for an IRIX
    5.3 system. On a 4D/35 with the development package, I have:

    166, 205, 445, 651, 736, 870, 983, 1078, 1114, 1149, 1170, 1191, 1244,
    1291, 1307, 1391, 1408, 1476, 1554, 1596, 1599, 1600, 1628, 1662, 1678,
    1685, 1701, 1875, 1948, 2090, 2132, 2166, 2184, 2212, 2216, 2228, 2238,
    2273, 2303, 2368, 2245, 2563, 2605, 2770, 2995, 3102, 3142, 3262, 3175,
    3176, 3178, 3179, 3189, 3191, 3236, 3268, 3347, 3510, 3526.

    But you shouldn't try to install these exactly because the graphics
    patches can really mess up your system if you install the wrong one,
    and the install tools of that timeframe could not distinguish between
    some of the 4D/xx-only graphics subsystems and some of the Indigo-
    only graphics subsystems. Also, some of the above are for the
    C++ or Fortran development systems and you won't be able to get those
    at all easily.
    --
    Disobey all self-referential sentences!

  12. Re: This Iris Indigo is going to drive me insane!!!!!!

    Hello:
    thanks for the hint. It just happens there is a peice of software which
    claims to be for Irix 6.1 ported to 5.3 on the install cd
    which I believe is why I am getting this error. Thak you for the help.

    Jim
    jimgeneva@earthlink.net

    Walter Roberson wrote:

    > In article <3F84E711.1C9C721F@earthlink.net>,
    > James C. Geneva wrote:
    > [IRIX 5.3]
    >
    > :auto reconfiguring operating system
    > :/var/sysgen/Root/usr/bin/ld:
    > :error undefined:
    > :mrt.ioctl
    > :legal_vif_num
    > :ip_mroute_init
    > :ip_mroute_slowtimo
    >
    > All four of those are defined in /var/sysgen/master.d/boot/ip_mroute.o
    > which is part of the package eoe2.sw.ipgate . Somehow, you've managed
    > to not install it, or to install an incompatible version.
    >
    > ip_mroute.o is also changed by patchSG0002770 .
    >
    > There's a long list of patches that you really should have for an IRIX
    > 5.3 system. On a 4D/35 with the development package, I have:
    >
    > 166, 205, 445, 651, 736, 870, 983, 1078, 1114, 1149, 1170, 1191, 1244,
    > 1291, 1307, 1391, 1408, 1476, 1554, 1596, 1599, 1600, 1628, 1662, 1678,
    > 1685, 1701, 1875, 1948, 2090, 2132, 2166, 2184, 2212, 2216, 2228, 2238,
    > 2273, 2303, 2368, 2245, 2563, 2605, 2770, 2995, 3102, 3142, 3262, 3175,
    > 3176, 3178, 3179, 3189, 3191, 3236, 3268, 3347, 3510, 3526.
    >
    > But you shouldn't try to install these exactly because the graphics
    > patches can really mess up your system if you install the wrong one,
    > and the install tools of that timeframe could not distinguish between
    > some of the 4D/xx-only graphics subsystems and some of the Indigo-
    > only graphics subsystems. Also, some of the above are for the
    > C++ or Fortran development systems and you won't be able to get those
    > at all easily.
    > --
    > Disobey all self-referential sentences!



  13. Re: This Iris Indigo is going to drive me insane!!!!!!

    In article ,
    Walter Roberson wrote:
    >In article <3F83F921.FD9DC479@larc.nasa.gov>,
    >Christopher R. Jones wrote:
    >:Yup... Walter called it. It's because you're using efs. Is there any reason in
    >articular that you're using efs on purpose?
    >
    >The topic is "Iris Indigo". If it's an R3000 Indigo, it would be
    >limited to IRIX 5.3, which did not include XFS. "IRIX 5.3 With XFS"
    >was not at all common.


    Is there, in fact, a way to install IRIX 5.3 with an XFS root file
    system?

    --
    Thor Lancelot Simon tls@rek.tjls.com
    But as he knew no bad language, he had called him all the names of common
    objects that he could think of, and had screamed: "You lamp! You towel! You
    plate!" and so on. --Sigmund Freud

+ Reply to Thread