how to get a higher cpuload then 75% on an origin200 - SGI

This is a discussion on how to get a higher cpuload then 75% on an origin200 - SGI ; Hi, i have an Origin200 with 4 cpu's and i want a program that is multitthreaded and able to use 4 cpu's to use them al for the full 100% somehow Irix6.5 is configured to allow users a maximum of ...

  1. how to get a higher cpuload then 75% on an origin200

    Hi, i have an Origin200 with 4 cpu's
    and i want a program that is multitthreaded and able to use 4 cpu's
    to use them al for the full 100%

    somehow Irix6.5 is configured to allow users a maximum of 75% cpu.

    Does anyone know where i can change this ?

    Thanx,

    Steffie

    Madam, there's no such thing as a tough child -- if you parboil them
    first for seven hours, they always come out tender.
    -- W. C. Fields

  2. Re: how to get a higher cpuload then 75% on an origin200

    In article ,
    Steffie wrote:
    :Hi, i have an Origin200 with 4 cpu's
    :and i want a program that is multitthreaded and able to use 4 cpu's
    :to use them al for the full 100%

    :somehow Irix6.5 is configured to allow users a maximum of 75% cpu.

    oes anyone know where i can change this ?

    IRIX has no system-wide configuration that would limit to 75% cpu.

    There is a third party package ("Share II") that allows CPU restrictions
    to be put in, but very few people seem to have purchased that package.

    It sounds to me as if your setup has a -thread- limit.
    That could be a very small threads limit imposed by 'jlimit'
    (if you bothered to install the kernel jlimit package), or it could
    be that you have used 'systune' to configure a very small
    rlimit_pthread_max (default is 1024), or it could be that you are
    using sh or ksh and have used the 'limit' command [possibly
    in a startup configuration script] to lower the maximum number of
    threads [default is rlimit_pthread_max].

    Or, it could be that your program pays attention to the MP_SET_NUMTHREAD
    environment variable and that you have that set to something lower than 4.

    It could also be that your program is written to spawn off threads and
    use 'runon' to pin them to a particular CPU. If that is the case, then
    the number of threads that would be generated would be one less than
    the number of CPUs, as you cannot isolate and 'runon' -all- the CPUs...
    you need to leave one cpu for operating system purposes.
    --
    Ceci, ce n'est pas une idée.

  3. Re: how to get a higher cpuload then 75% on an origin200

    On 7 Oct 2003 23:43:09 GMT, roberson@ibd.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca (Walter
    Roberson) wrote:

    >In article ,
    >Steffie wrote:
    >:Hi, i have an Origin200 with 4 cpu's
    >:and i want a program that is multitthreaded and able to use 4 cpu's
    >:to use them al for the full 100%
    >
    >:somehow Irix6.5 is configured to allow users a maximum of 75% cpu.
    >
    >oes anyone know where i can change this ?
    >
    >IRIX has no system-wide configuration that would limit to 75% cpu.
    >
    >There is a third party package ("Share II") that allows CPU restrictions
    >to be put in, but very few people seem to have purchased that package.
    >

    >It sounds to me as if your setup has a -thread- limit.
    >That could be a very small threads limit imposed by 'jlimit'
    >(if you bothered to install the kernel jlimit package), or it could
    >be that you have used 'systune' to configure a very small
    >rlimit_pthread_max (default is 1024), or it could be that you are
    >using sh or ksh and have used the 'limit' command [possibly
    >in a startup configuration script] to lower the maximum number of
    >threads [default is rlimit_pthread_max].
    >
    >Or, it could be that your program pays attention to the MP_SET_NUMTHREAD
    >environment variable and that you have that set to something lower than 4.
    >
    >It could also be that your program is written to spawn off threads and
    >use 'runon' to pin them to a particular CPU. If that is the case, then
    >the number of threads that would be generated would be one less than
    >the number of CPUs, as you cannot isolate and 'runon' -all- the CPUs...
    >you need to leave one cpu for operating system purposes.

    Thanx for your quick response!

    I think it has to do with your last suggestion.
    Today i tried the same with the RC5 computing program from
    distributed.net
    And this does the same. It says it detected 4 cpu's starts 4 threads,
    and will probably try to bind them each to a single cpu.
    But as i understand from your comment this is not allowed because it
    needs 1 cpu for system purposes?
    so therefore it will only run on 3 cpu's.

    [From the operation manual for the CI-300 Dot Matrix Line Printer, made
    in Japan]:

    The excellent output machine of MODEL CI-300 as extraordinary DOT
    MATRIX LINE PRINTER, built in two MICRO-PROCESSORs as well as EAROM, is
    featured by permitting wonderful co-existence such as; "high quality
    against low cost", "diversified functions with compact design",
    "flexibility in accessibleness and durability of approx. 2000,000,00
    Dot/Head", "being sophisticated in mechanism but possibly agile
    operating under noises being extremely suppressed" etc.

    And as a matter of course, the final goal is just simply to help
    achieve "super shuttle diplomacy" between cool data, perhaps earned by
    HOST COMPUTER, and warm heart of human being.

  4. Re: how to get a higher cpuload then 75% on an origin200

    :Roberson) wrote:
    :>It could also be that your program is written to spawn off threads and
    :>use 'runon' to pin them to a particular CPU. If that is the case, then
    :>the number of threads that would be generated would be one less than
    :>the number of CPUs, as you cannot isolate and 'runon' -all- the CPUs...
    :>you need to leave one cpu for operating system purposes.

    :I think it has to do with your last suggestion.
    :Today i tried the same with the RC5 computing program from
    :distributed.net
    :And this does the same. It says it detected 4 cpu's starts 4 threads,
    :and will probably try to bind them each to a single cpu.
    :But as i understand from your comment this is not allowed because it
    :needs 1 cpu for system purposes?
    :so therefore it will only run on 3 cpu's.

    You cannot "isolate" all CPUs -- that is, you cannot reserve them all
    for exclusive use and stop them from processing interrupts. There
    always has to be one CPU available to process interrupts. Isolating a
    CPU is done for increased performance, and for making response times
    more deterministic.

    You can, though, run on a particular processor without isolating it.
    This can improve performance by reducing scheduling time: the system
    does not have to spend time figuring out which cpu to schedule the
    process on next. Other processes can still use the same CPU: if you
    have pinned a process to a particular CPU and something else starts to
    use that CPU, then the original process will just wait.

    *Usually* what programs do is just start a number of processes and
    allow the system to schedule them where-ever the system finds
    convenient. If the program starts up a number of proceses equal to the
    number of CPUs, and if there are no other processes running, then
    IRIX's scheduler will usually figure out that it should send one
    process to each of the CPUs, resulting in a near 100% CPU load.
    Sometimes, though, depending on 'dplace' and upon resource usage
    patterns, the scheduler will detect that it is better to run more than
    one of the threads on the same CPU or same node-board: if multiple
    processes are all heavily writing to the same memory, then running the
    processes on different node boards (or different modules) can end up
    being -slower- than time-sharing within the same node-board.

    As I recall, the default for pthreads in IRIX is to run all the threads
    on the same CPU, and you have to specifically write the program to
    spread the threads over multiple CPUs. But that's the way that pthreads
    (Posix Threads) work, and it is not true for the older IRIX sproc().

    Anyhow, the point is that IRIX is quite happy to run at near 100% on
    all CPUs, and if you are only getting 75% then you either have
    a very very restrictive configuration or your program has been
    written in such a way that it does not use all of the CPUs. We
    cannot really give you good information about how to change your
    program until you tell us some of the technical details of how
    your current program starts the threads.
    --
    Disobey all self-referential sentences!

  5. Re: how to get a higher cpuload then 75% on an origin200

    On 8 Oct 2003 16:13:14 GMT, roberson@ibd.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca (Walter
    Roberson) wrote:

    >Anyhow, the point is that IRIX is quite happy to run at near 100% on
    >all CPUs, and if you are only getting 75% then you either have
    >a very very restrictive configuration or your program has been
    >written in such a way that it does not use all of the CPUs. We
    >cannot really give you good information about how to change your
    >program until you tell us some of the technical details of how
    >your current program starts the threads.

    The program i am just testing it with now is the rc5 dnetc client
    found at http://www.distributed.net/download/clients.php#irix

    Other people seem to have no problem with it, but on the origin i took
    over recently it will nog get better then 75% and there are almost no
    other processes running

    Is there any specific info i can give to pinpoint the problem some
    more ?

    Steffie

  6. Re: how to get a higher cpuload then 75% on an origin200

    In article ,
    Steffie wrote:
    :The program i am just testing it with now is the rc5 dnetc client
    :found at http://www.distributed.net/download/clients.php#irix

    :Other people seem to have no problem with it, but on the origin i took
    ver recently it will nog get better then 75% and there are almost no
    ther processes running

    :Is there any specific info i can give to pinpoint the problem some
    :more ?

    I believe that the source of the dnet RC5-72 client is not publically
    accessible. I've never seen it myself, but in one of those oddities
    of life, the public binary might have been compiled on my machine.
    I know someone with source access; I'll ask him about how the threading
    is implimented.
    --
    Cannot open .signature: Permission denied

  7. Re: how to get a higher cpuload then 75% on an origin200

    On 8 Oct 2003 21:55:48 GMT, roberson@ibd.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca (Walter
    Roberson) wrote:

    >In article ,
    >Steffie wrote:
    >:The program i am just testing it with now is the rc5 dnetc client
    >:found at http://www.distributed.net/download/clients.php#irix
    >
    >:Other people seem to have no problem with it, but on the origin i took
    >ver recently it will nog get better then 75% and there are almost no
    >ther processes running
    >
    >:Is there any specific info i can give to pinpoint the problem some
    >:more ?
    >
    >I believe that the source of the dnet RC5-72 client is not publically
    >accessible. I've never seen it myself, but in one of those oddities
    >of life, the public binary might have been compiled on my machine.
    >I know someone with source access; I'll ask him about how the threading
    >is implimented.

    ) that would be nice.
    This week is my very first time with irix so i still have to learn a
    lot, but with quick response in this group, i will manage

    Also i didn't find a good webpage with manual or tips yet, anyone
    maybe knows of one, i should really check before asking any questions?

    Steffie

    Newton's Fourth Law: Every action has an equal and opposite satisfaction.

  8. Re: how to get a higher cpuload then 75% on an origin200

    In article ,
    Steffie wrote:
    :This week is my very first time with irix so i still have to learn a
    :lot, but with quick response in this group, i will manage

    :Also i didn't find a good webpage with manual or tips yet, anyone
    :maybe knows of one, i should really check before asking any questions?

    I'd suggest first starting at the [now outdated] FAQs at
    http://www-viz.tamu.edu/~sgi-faq . You will likely have to look
    at the text versions; the hypertext version got corrupted a few
    years ago and messages about it go unanswered.

    There are a couple of other very good user sites out there, but
    I regret that I do not have the URLs handy.
    --
    Tenser, said the Tensor.
    Tenser, said the Tensor.

  9. Re: how to get a higher cpuload then 75% on an origin200

    Dans article ,
    steffie@luidemotorfiets.nl disait...

    > The program i am just testing it with now is the rc5 dnetc client
    > found at http://www.distributed.net/download/clients.php#irix
    >
    > Other people seem to have no problem with it, but on the origin i took
    > over recently it will nog get better then 75% and there are almost no
    > other processes running

    This is WEIRD. I've run the rc5 client for ages on every sort of machines
    from Indy to Origin 2000, and it _always_ make the machine run at 100%
    CPU load, steady, whatever the machine, the OS, the CPU, etc.

    --
    Quis, quid, ubi, quibus auxiliis, cur, quomodo, quando?

  10. Re: how to get a higher cpuload then 75% on an origin200

    Steffie wrote:

    > On 8 Oct 2003 21:55:48 GMT, roberson@ibd.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca (Walter
    > Roberson) wrote:
    >
    > >In article ,
    > >Steffie wrote:
    > >:The program i am just testing it with now is the rc5 dnetc client
    > >:found at http://www.distributed.net/download/clients.php#irix
    > >
    > >:Other people seem to have no problem with it, but on the origin i took
    > >ver recently it will nog get better then 75% and there are almost no
    > >ther processes running
    > >
    > >:Is there any specific info i can give to pinpoint the problem some
    > >:more ?
    > >
    > >I believe that the source of the dnet RC5-72 client is not publically
    > >accessible. I've never seen it myself, but in one of those oddities
    > >of life, the public binary might have been compiled on my machine.
    > >I know someone with source access; I'll ask him about how the threading
    > >is implimented.

    > ) that would be nice.
    > This week is my very first time with irix so i still have to learn a
    > lot, but with quick response in this group, i will manage
    >
    > Also i didn't find a good webpage with manual or tips yet, anyone
    > maybe knows of one, i should really check before asking any questions?

    one place that a good starting point is:
    http://techpubs.sgi.com/
    there are a ton more great ones, but I also dont recall any URL's at the
    moment - google can help you find them though.
    One site that does stick in my head is http://nekochan.net , but I suggest
    you not use netscape to view the site.
    cheers!
    mike

  11. Re: how to get a higher cpuload then 75% on an origin200

    Emmanuel Florac wrote:

    > This is WEIRD. I've run the rc5 client for ages on every sort of machines
    > from Indy to Origin 2000, and it _always_ make the machine run at 100%
    > CPU load, steady, whatever the machine, the OS, the CPU, etc.

    I'd check if there was a restricted processor first. See mpadmin -s.

    75% sounds too much like a 4 CPU machine with one restricted
    processor...

  12. Re: how to get a higher cpuload then 75% on an origin200

    In article , Steffie writes:

    |> and i want a program that is multitthreaded and able to use 4 cpu's
    |> to use them al for the full 100%
    |>
    |> somehow Irix6.5 is configured to allow users a maximum of 75% cpu.

    Are you sure all 4 processors are running?

    --
    --------- Gordon Lack --------------- gml4410@ggr.co.uk ------------
    This message *may* reflect my personal opinion. It is *not* intended

  13. Re: how to get a higher cpuload then 75% on an origin200

    In article <2003Oct10.140024@ukwit01>, Lack Mr G M wrote:
    :In article , Steffie writes:
    :|> somehow Irix6.5 is configured to allow users a maximum of 75% cpu.

    : Are you sure all 4 processors are running?

    The calculation is relative to the number of CPUs enabled at the
    hardware level.
    --
    WW{Backus,Church,Dijkstra,Knuth,Hollerith,Turing,v onNeumann}D ?

  14. Re: how to get a higher cpuload then 75% on an origin200

    On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 14:41:11 +0200, Alexis Cousein
    wrote:

    >Emmanuel Florac wrote:
    >>
    >> This is WEIRD. I've run the rc5 client for ages on every sort of machines
    >> from Indy to Origin 2000, and it _always_ make the machine run at 100%
    >> CPU load, steady, whatever the machine, the OS, the CPU, etc.
    >>

    >I'd check if there was a restricted processor first. See mpadmin -s.
    >
    >75% sounds too much like a 4 CPU machine with one restricted
    >processor...

    $ mpadmin -s
    processors: 0 1 2 3
    unrestricted: 0 1 2 3
    restricted:
    isolated:
    excluded:
    preemptive: 0 1 2 3
    nointr:
    clock: 0
    fast clock: 0

    Looks like it is not restricted.
    Thanx for this advice already i didn't even know of this.
    any other suggestions that may lead to the solution ?

    Signs of crime: screaming or cries for help.
    -- from the Brown Security Crime Prevention Pamphlet

  15. Re: how to get a higher cpuload then 75% on an origin200

    On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 14:00:24 BST, gml4410@ggr.co.uk (Lack Mr G M)
    wrote:

    >In article , Steffie writes:
    >|>
    >|> and i want a program that is multitthreaded and able to use 4 cpu's
    >|> to use them al for the full 100%
    >|>
    >|> somehow Irix6.5 is configured to allow users a maximum of 75% cpu.
    >
    > Are you sure all 4 processors are running?

    Yes, because if i run several other different cpu intensive programs i
    can get the machine to 100% cpu (and a load of 4)

    Signs of crime: screaming or cries for help.
    -- from the Brown Security Crime Prevention Pamphlet

+ Reply to Thread