versions changed..... - SGI

This is a discussion on versions changed..... - SGI ; What procedure do some of you follow after a OS upgrade to handle the ..O, .N configuration files. We usually do a xdiff on the current and new/old version to see the difference. Is it recommended that the version number ...

  1. versions changed.....

    What procedure do some of you follow after a OS upgrade to handle the
    ..O, .N configuration files. We usually do a xdiff on the current and
    new/old version to see the difference. Is it recommended that the
    version number of the conf file be updated even if we want to use the
    old conf files. Wondering if patches / upgrades key off of this
    number.....

    Thanks

    Rabi

  2. Re: versions changed.....

    In article <3F819A76.210805C5@larc.nasa.gov>,
    rabi wrote:

    :What procedure do some of you follow after a OS upgrade to handle the
    :.O, .N configuration files. We usually do a xdiff on the current and
    :new/old version to see the difference.

    Same here except we use xdiff3 instead of xdiff.

    :Is it recommended that the
    :version number of the conf file be updated even if we want to use the
    ld conf files. Wondering if patches / upgrades key off of this
    :number.....

    Patches and upgrades do not key off of the version number comments
    for any patch or upgrade I can think of.

    The normal patch / upgrade process keys off of the size and checksum
    of a file to determine whether it has been modified.
    --
    Usenet is one of those "Good News/Bad News" comedy routines.

+ Reply to Thread