help with partition sizes - SGI

This is a discussion on help with partition sizes - SGI ; Hello: I have a new problem and do not know how to go about this so anyone who can help I would be most appreciative. Here goes. I have an Iris Indigo R3000 IP12 with 2 each one gig hard ...

  1. help with partition sizes

    Hello:
    I have a new problem and do not know how to go about this so anyone who
    can help I would be most appreciative.
    Here goes. I have an Iris Indigo R3000 IP12 with 2 each one gig hard
    drives on address 1 and 2 I have installed Irix 5.3
    on drive 1. I added the second disk to grow the file system as I have
    run out of space on my root and when I try to install
    the 202 meg iris development package it fails by running out of room ok
    fine I now have purchased a 8 gig IBM disk for
    my main system disk but I am not sure how to size the partitions so I
    never have the problem of running out of space again.
    So MY Question is how large should I make each partition????

    1 gig for root??? partition # 3???????? partition #7??? Partition #
    8???????????
    please someone HELP!!!!!!!

    jimgeneva@earthlink

  2. Re: help with partition sizes

    Dans article <3F7D255A.CAFE76B0@earthlink.net>, jimgeneva@earthlink.net
    disait...
    > I am not sure how to size the partitions so I
    > never have the problem of running out of space again.
    > So MY Question is how large should I make each partition????

    If you simply run this as a workstation (no mail server, etc) don't
    bother : make one root partition and a big enough swap space, that'll be
    OK.

    --
    Quis, quid, ubi, quibus auxiliis, cur, quomodo, quando?

  3. Re: help with partition sizes

    thank you but that doesnt help I was looking more like make partition 1 1
    gig partition 3 512 megs partiton 7 512 megs and rest for partition 8

    Emmanuel Florac wrote:

    > Dans article <3F7D255A.CAFE76B0@earthlink.net>, jimgeneva@earthlink.net
    > disait...
    > > I am not sure how to size the partitions so I
    > > never have the problem of running out of space again.
    > > So MY Question is how large should I make each partition????
    > >

    > If you simply run this as a workstation (no mail server, etc) don't
    > bother : make one root partition and a big enough swap space, that'll be
    > OK.
    >
    > --
    > Quis, quid, ubi, quibus auxiliis, cur, quomodo, quando?

  4. Re: help with partition sizes

    James C. Geneva wrote:

    > thank you but that doesnt help I was looking more like make partition 1 1
    > gig partition 3 512 megs partiton 7 512 megs and rest for partition 8

    Not a good idea -- partition 8 is the volume header.

  5. Re: help with partition sizes

    Hi:
    ok can you give me any numbers?

    Alexis Cousein wrote:

    > James C. Geneva wrote:
    >
    > > thank you but that doesnt help I was looking more like make partition 1 1
    > > gig partition 3 512 megs partiton 7 512 megs and rest for partition 8

    > Not a good idea -- partition 8 is the volume header.

  6. Re: help with partition sizes

    Le Fri, 03 Oct 2003 11:32:15 +0000, James C. Geneva écrivait:

    > Hi:
    > ok can you give me any numbers?

    You don't need to. Use fx -x, repartition, select rootdrive, you'll have
    only one partition spanning on the entire drive : this is what you need.
    Making a lot of little partitions won't help you in any way (except
    broking your system more easily).

    --
    Ne pas savoir de quoi on parle est un avantage dont il ne faut
    pas abuser.

  7. Re: help with partition sizes

    Emmanuel Florac wrote:

    > Le Fri, 03 Oct 2003 11:32:15 +0000, James C. Geneva écrivait:
    >

    > > Hi:
    > > ok can you give me any numbers?

    > You don't need to. Use fx -x, repartition, select rootdrive, you'll have
    > only one partition spanning on the entire drive : this is what you need.
    > Making a lot of little partitions won't help you in any way (except
    > broking your system more easily).

    I agree fully. I've been administering SGI's for a bunch of years now and ever since IRIX
    6.5 we haven't had a single system who's root disk wasn't the entire drive. And other
    than some O2's that came with only a 2Gb intertnal disk (that we *still* had all of the OS
    on), all systems have had everything system related on one 9Gb disk... and we've never had
    any problems.

    Given that you said you've now got an 8Gb disk, just re-do the OS fully on that (assuming
    that's not too much system downtime) and then use your 1Gb drives for stuff like
    /usr/people partitions or something.

    That's one thing I love about IRIX... the fact that it's natural and makes sense to have
    the entire OS on one slice (which in our cases is always the entire disk... even when the
    root drive is a 36Gb one... It just makes my system administrating life so much
    simpler.

    I just use other disks for stuff like home directories and /usr/local. I hate it that
    Solairis doesn't like the all-in-one partition thingie. It makes things so much more
    complicated.

    -chris

    --
    Chris Jones