Onyx RE2 - Clean OS Installation - SGI

This is a discussion on Onyx RE2 - Clean OS Installation - SGI ; I need to do a clean installation of IRIX on an R4400 Onyx RE2 (4x250 IP19). I've done installations before on an R4400 Indigo, an R10K O2 and an R12K Octane, but I've never had to do an installation on ...

  1. Onyx RE2 - Clean OS Installation

    I need to do a clean installation of IRIX on an R4400 Onyx RE2 (4x250 IP19).

    I've done installations before on an R4400 Indigo, an R10K O2 and an R12K
    Octane, but I've never had to do an installation on any of the big iron
    machines.

    Before I get started, are there any gotcha's that I should be aware of when I
    do the installation?

    Thanks.

    EBS

  2. Re: Onyx RE2 - Clean OS Installation

    esimonds@dallas.net (Everett B. Simonds) writes:

    > I've done installations before on an R4400 Indigo, an R10K O2 and an R12K
    > Octane, but I've never had to do an installation on any of the big iron
    > machines.

    It's just the same, really. (Our REČ Onyx only has one R4400, but that
    shouldn't matter. My experience is that it's no different from the
    smaller workstations, and I've had to reinstall it twice.)

    > Before I get started, are there any gotcha's that I should be aware
    > of when I do the installation?

    If you have a bootable CD drive attached to the Onyx, none whatsoever.

    If you don't, and can't get one, you need to teach yourself how to boot
    SGIs from the network. It's not really a biggie.

    File attachments NOT welcome unless agreed to beforehand.

  3. Re: Onyx RE2 - Clean OS Installation

    Everett - why are you doing a clean install? There is no difference in
    installing on an Onyx 4P vs and indy.

    Brian

    "Atro Tossavainen" wrote in
    message newsgz4qyq943f.fsf@kruuna.Helsinki.FI...
    > esimonds@dallas.net (Everett B. Simonds) writes:
    >
    > > I've done installations before on an R4400 Indigo, an R10K O2 and an

    R12K
    > > Octane, but I've never had to do an installation on any of the big iron
    > > machines.

    > It's just the same, really. (Our REČ Onyx only has one R4400, but that
    > shouldn't matter. My experience is that it's no different from the
    > smaller workstations, and I've had to reinstall it twice.)
    >
    > > Before I get started, are there any gotcha's that I should be aware
    > > of when I do the installation?

    > If you have a bootable CD drive attached to the Onyx, none whatsoever.
    >
    > If you don't, and can't get one, you need to teach yourself how to boot
    > SGIs from the network. It's not really a biggie.
    >
    > --
    > Atro Tossavainen (Mr.) / The Institute of Biotechnology at
    > Systems Analyst, Techno-Amish & / the University of Helsinki, Finland,
    > +358-9-19158939 UNIX Dinosaur / employs me, but my opinions are my

    own.

    > File attachments NOT welcome unless agreed to beforehand.

  4. Re: Onyx RE2 - Clean OS Installation

    In article , brianmaguire@comcast.net
    says...

    >Everett - why are you doing a clean install? There is no difference in
    >installing on an Onyx 4P vs and indy.
    >
    >Brian
    >
    >"Atro Tossavainen" wrote in
    >message newsgz4qyq943f.fsf@kruuna.Helsinki.FI...
    >> esimonds@dallas.net (Everett B. Simonds) writes:
    >>
    >> > I've done installations before on an R4400 Indigo, an R10K O2 and an

    >R12K
    >> > Octane, but I've never had to do an installation on any of the big iron
    >> > machines.

    >> It's just the same, really. (Our REČ Onyx only has one R4400, but that
    >> shouldn't matter. My experience is that it's no different from the
    >> smaller workstations, and I've had to reinstall it twice.)
    >>
    >> > Before I get started, are there any gotcha's that I should be aware
    >> > of when I do the installation?

    >> If you have a bootable CD drive attached to the Onyx, none whatsoever.
    >>
    >> If you don't, and can't get one, you need to teach yourself how to boot
    >> SGIs from the network. It's not really a biggie.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Atro Tossavainen (Mr.) / The Institute of Biotechnology at
    >> Systems Analyst, Techno-Amish & / the University of Helsinki, Finland,
    >> +358-9-19158939 UNIX Dinosaur / employs me, but my opinions are my

    >own.
    >>
    >> File attachments NOT welcome unless agreed to beforehand.

    Hi Brian:

    I generally try to keep a drive on the shelf that has a clean installation of
    IRIX on it for all of my machines in case I ever need it.

    I pulled the two drives that came with it and installed a new one on an extra
    sled and off we went, no problems. Since I'd never installed IRIX on any of
    SGI's large machines, I thought it best to check before hand in case there was
    anything I needed to know before I got into it. Once I was finished, I put
    the two original drives back in and it just hums along. Roars actually, man
    those fans are noisy!

    As an alternative, I could have used your cloning routine, but this was as
    much for my own education as well.

    Thanks.

    Everett

+ Reply to Thread