Re: java2 applet errors - SGI

This is a discussion on Re: java2 applet errors - SGI ; Christopher R. Jones wrote: > Ok.. I've got an EMC CX600 clariion raid box. Their manager software 'navisphere' is now > web based, you just point a web browser with the correct java software installed to the > storage processor, ...

  1. Re: java2 applet errors

    Christopher R. Jones wrote:
    > Ok.. I've got an EMC CX600 clariion raid box. Their manager software 'navisphere' is now
    > web based, you just point a web browser with the correct java software installed to the
    > storage processor, login, and your off to manage it.
    >
    > I can do this fine from a PC, but I *want* to be able to do it from an SGI. The
    > navisphere requires you to have installed 'Java Runtime Environment 1.4.1_01', and I've
    > installed the following:
    >
    > appaloosa[/usr/people/cjones]versions -b |grep java
    > I java2_debug 09/08/2003 Java2 v1.4.1_02 Debug Binaries (Sun JDK v1.4.1_02)
    > I java2_dev 09/08/2003 Java2 v1.4.1_02 Development Environment (Sun JDK
    > v1.4.1_02)
    > I java2_eoe 09/08/2003 Java2 v1.4.1_02 Execution Environment (Sun JRE
    > v1.4.1_02)
    > I java2_plugin 09/08/2003 Java2(tm) Plug-in for Irix, v1.4.1
    > I javascript_eoe 04/19/2002 JavaScript library execution only environment, 1.0
    >
    > But when I try to connect to the storage processor and click on the EMC splash logo, I get
    > this for an error:
    >
    > Applet jarFinderApplet can't start: ERROR
    >
    > I can't for the life of me figure out what it is. I have the
    > /var/netscape/communicator/plugins32 plugin setup (the java2 install did it acutally) with
    > the only file 'javaplugin1.4.so' that's a soft link to it's real location. I even setup
    > (via the java2 release notes) the .netscape/plugins directory in my home directory and
    > made the soft link. I've got 'JAVA_PLUGIN_ROOT' set to
    > /var/netscape/communicator/plugins32 like the SGI documentation says, and when I run
    > netscape (which is v4.79, and that should work) and look at all the plugins from 'plugins'
    > drop-down from the top of the browser I see 'Java(TM) Plug-in for Irix 1.4.1' like I would
    > expect.
    >
    > But still I get the above error. I can't believe that the fact that I've got v1.4.1_02 is
    > what's causing the problem... that just doesn't make sense.
    >
    > So could somebody who's java-savvy enlighten me? Believe me, I've tried using our EMC
    > support on this one, but the keep bouncing me to subcontractor who does the support and
    > I'm not satisfied with his answer that it's got to be *exactly* 1.4.1_01.
    >
    > Thoughts?
    >
    > -chris

    Is there any error message on the Java console?

    I don't know where it is in Netscape, but on Mozilla it's available in
    Tools>Web Development.

    --
    Nigel Wade

  2. Re: java2 applet errors

    On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 16:05:50 +0100, Nigel Wade wrote:

    > Christopher R. Jones wrote:
    >> Ok.. I've got an EMC CX600 clariion raid box. Their manager software 'navisphere' is now
    >> web based, you just point a web browser with the correct java software installed to the
    >> storage processor, login, and your off to manage it.
    >>
    >> I can do this fine from a PC, but I *want* to be able to do it from an SGI. The
    >> navisphere requires you to have installed 'Java Runtime Environment 1.4.1_01', and I've
    >> installed the following:
    >>
    >> appaloosa[/usr/people/cjones]versions -b |grep java
    >> I java2_debug 09/08/2003 Java2 v1.4.1_02 Debug Binaries (Sun JDK v1.4.1_02)
    >> I java2_dev 09/08/2003 Java2 v1.4.1_02 Development Environment (Sun JDK
    >> v1.4.1_02)
    >> I java2_eoe 09/08/2003 Java2 v1.4.1_02 Execution Environment (Sun JRE
    >> v1.4.1_02)
    >> I java2_plugin 09/08/2003 Java2(tm) Plug-in for Irix, v1.4.1
    >> I javascript_eoe 04/19/2002 JavaScript library execution only environment, 1.0
    >>
    >> But when I try to connect to the storage processor and click on the EMC splash logo, I get
    >> this for an error:
    >>
    >> Applet jarFinderApplet can't start: ERROR
    >>
    >> I can't for the life of me figure out what it is. I have the
    >> /var/netscape/communicator/plugins32 plugin setup (the java2 install did it acutally) with
    >> the only file 'javaplugin1.4.so' that's a soft link to it's real location. I even setup
    >> (via the java2 release notes) the .netscape/plugins directory in my home directory and
    >> made the soft link. I've got 'JAVA_PLUGIN_ROOT' set to
    >> /var/netscape/communicator/plugins32 like the SGI documentation says, and when I run
    >> netscape (which is v4.79, and that should work) and look at all the plugins from 'plugins'
    >> drop-down from the top of the browser I see 'Java(TM) Plug-in for Irix 1.4.1' like I would
    >> expect.
    >>
    >> But still I get the above error. I can't believe that the fact that I've got v1.4.1_02 is
    >> what's causing the problem... that just doesn't make sense.
    >>
    >> So could somebody who's java-savvy enlighten me? Believe me, I've tried using our EMC
    >> support on this one, but the keep bouncing me to subcontractor who does the support and
    >> I'm not satisfied with his answer that it's got to be *exactly* 1.4.1_01.
    >>
    >> Thoughts?
    >>
    >> -chris
    >>

    > Is there any error message on the Java console?
    >
    > I don't know where it is in Netscape, but on Mozilla it's available in
    > Tools>Web Development.

    Some of the same issues here, but with Netscape 4.8, Mozilla 1.4 and Firebird...
    Netscape, that old bloated beast, doesn't seem to like anything that calls
    for Java... I got 1.4.1 JDK/JRE/plugin installed... Netscape 4.8
    consistently goes down evrytime there is a mere call to jave, it's pretty
    sad to watch...

    Mozilla seems to work much better with Java, but it's still a bloated
    "complete" solution...

    Now I'm trying Firebird, which is a much lighter web browser that works
    quite well... The only issue is actually with java. I tried to link the
    1.4.1 plugin like it's done with Mozilla, but this didn't work at all:
    Firebird doesn't start at all... I'm guessing it's a gcc version
    incompatibility as I have this running on Linux (yes, I said the L word
    ;-) )...

    Does anybody have any suggestion?

  3. Re: java2 applet errors

    UNIX Museum wrote:

> [...]

    > > Tools>Web Development.

    > Some of the same issues here, but with Netscape 4.8, Mozilla 1.4 and Firebird...
    > Netscape, that old bloated beast, doesn't seem to like anything that calls
    > for Java... I got 1.4.1 JDK/JRE/plugin installed... Netscape 4.8
    > consistently goes down evrytime there is a mere call to jave, it's pretty
    > sad to watch...
    >
    > Mozilla seems to work much better with Java, but it's still a bloated
    > "complete" solution...
    >
    > Now I'm trying Firebird, which is a much lighter web browser that works
    > quite well... The only issue is actually with java. I tried to link the
    > 1.4.1 plugin like it's done with Mozilla, but this didn't work at all:
    > Firebird doesn't start at all... I'm guessing it's a gcc version
    > incompatibility as I have this running on Linux (yes, I said the L word

    i use internet explorer when i want hassle free web surfing, works everytime.

+ Reply to Thread