Problem after pluggin usb keyboard out - SGI

This is a discussion on Problem after pluggin usb keyboard out - SGI ; Hi, we are having a small problem with our Onyx system. It has an USB keyboard and mouse, and because of the way the local installation looks (physically I mean), from time to time it happens that someone plugs the ...

  1. Problem after pluggin usb keyboard out

    Hi,

    we are having a small problem with our Onyx system. It has an USB
    keyboard and mouse, and because of the way the local installation looks
    (physically I mean), from time to time it happens that someone plugs the
    keyboard or mouse out, does something with them and plugs them back in.
    After this the file /etc/ioconfig.conf contains multiple entries for
    these devices and the X server can't seem to find them anymore. I can't
    test right now, but I'm relatively sure it won't work until the
    duplicated entries are removed from that file. Why is this? The X
    server is started with -devdir /dev/input as parameter, and there are a
    couple of symlinks to /hw/input/keyboard and /hw/input/mouse, which are
    not symlinks deep into the /hw tree but character devices proper. Why
    does the X server care about the contents of ioconfig.conf? The other
    thing I don't quite understand is if the X server has to be restarted or
    not when this happens. Intuitively I'd say it has to be restarted, since
    the keyboard/mouse have gotten new USB ids which means a different device
    has to be opened. Is this correct?

    Thanks,

    Marcelo

  2. Re: Problem after pluggin usb keyboard out

    I'm put some tape on the plugs or a cable tie to stop people pulling it
    out if I were you. Thats probably the easiest fix (sad I know but easy
    fixes are fastest ;-> ).

    *********************
    Khalid Schofield
    System Administrator / EM Technician
    Dept. Of Materials
    University Of Oxford
    Parks Road
    Oxford
    OX1 3PH

    Tel: 01865 273785
    Fax: 01865 283333

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2003, Marcelo Magallon wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > we are having a small problem with our Onyx system. It has an USB
    > keyboard and mouse, and because of the way the local installation looks
    > (physically I mean), from time to time it happens that someone plugs the
    > keyboard or mouse out, does something with them and plugs them back in.
    > After this the file /etc/ioconfig.conf contains multiple entries for
    > these devices and the X server can't seem to find them anymore. I can't
    > test right now, but I'm relatively sure it won't work until the
    > duplicated entries are removed from that file. Why is this? The X
    > server is started with -devdir /dev/input as parameter, and there are a
    > couple of symlinks to /hw/input/keyboard and /hw/input/mouse, which are
    > not symlinks deep into the /hw tree but character devices proper. Why
    > does the X server care about the contents of ioconfig.conf? The other
    > thing I don't quite understand is if the X server has to be restarted or
    > not when this happens. Intuitively I'd say it has to be restarted, since
    > the keyboard/mouse have gotten new USB ids which means a different device
    > has to be opened. Is this correct?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Marcelo

  3. Re: Problem after pluggin usb keyboard out

    On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 14:36:40 +0100, Khalid Schofield wrote:

    > I'm put some tape on the plugs or a cable tie to stop people pulling it
    > out if I were you. Thats probably the easiest fix (sad I know but easy
    > fixes are fastest ;-> ).

    ROTFL!

    Yes, we are working on that solution already :-)

    Just to give you some background on the problem, this is a Powerwall
    installed in an auditorium. The Onyx that drives this system sits in
    the machine room with a whole bunch other stuff. Video and input signals
    are transported 100+ m from here to the Powerwall via a USB link. The
    installation in front of the Powerwall is still in the works, which
    means that for now keyboard and mouse are stuffed with other devices on
    a table/desk and connected to a USB plug coming out of the wall. Every
    now and then, someone just *has* *to* *move* something on that desk and
    they intuitively get the keyboard/mouse out of the way...

    A couple of weeks ago, a couple of hours before a demo, it just happened
    that one of the persons preparing the demo plugged the keyboard/mouse
    out, moved something and plugged it back it. The keyboard didn't work
    anymore. For some weird and until-this-day-unknown reason, the machine
    had lost its network configuration. This person went into panic mode and
    applied the Windows solution: the machine got rebooted. Interestingly
    /etc/ioconfig.conf still had, after the reboot, the duplicated entries
    for the USB input devices. Result: the X-server does not find the
    mouse/keyboard. And there's still no network. No problem, right? You
    just use the serial console. If only there had been one :-( Some months
    ago, while configuring a RAID system attached to the Onyx, I had
    unknowingly killed the serial-console (yes, when this dawned upon me it
    was extremely embarrassing). So, no console, no network and no serial
    console. What do you do? You put the CD into the tray and boot from
    there. Except that this didn't work either, all we got was a wonderful
    exception from CPU0 when trying to boot. Sash worked and I could poke
    around the filesystem... in read-only mode :-) By some strike of luck, I
    turned the machine off (and I really mean shut down everything), then
    back on and it decided it had made enough trouble for a day and that it
    was time to boot from the CD again :-)

    The demo went rather well.

    Now I have this:

    # Remove USB devices from the ioconfig.conf file
    if [ -f /etc/ioconfig.conf -a -w /etc/ioconfig.conf ] ; then
    perl -ni -e 'm,/usb/, || print' /etc/ioconfig.conf
    fi

    in /etc/init.d/chkdev just before ioconfig gets run, which means the
    nightmare situation I described above gets preempted (someone panics,
    reboots the machine, and k/m should get back to normal), but I'd still
    like to know WTF is going on.

    Cheers (and sorry if this sounds like something for a.s.r.)

    Marcelo

+ Reply to Thread