startup scripts / PATH variable - SGI

This is a discussion on startup scripts / PATH variable - SGI ; Hello group! Can anybody here tell me, what scripts are executed between the startup scripts in /etc/rc2.d (or /etc/init.d) and the login scripts (say /etc/profile)? I have the problem, that the PATH environment variable is already set when /etc/profile is ...

  1. startup scripts / PATH variable

    Hello group!

    Can anybody here tell me, what scripts are executed between the startup
    scripts in /etc/rc2.d (or /etc/init.d) and the login scripts (say
    /etc/profile)?

    I have the problem, that the PATH environment variable is already set when
    /etc/profile is executed and contains very strange entries (i.e. paths of
    software that had been installed on the machine years ago). Is there a
    script being sourced before /etc/profile after login?

    I found out, that the "system standard" PATHs (generated from
    /usr/include/paths.h) can be found in /etc/default/login, but those contain
    nothing special.

    I know, I could just overwrite the PATH in /etc/profile, but I'd just like
    to know where those paths come from.

    Thanks in advance for your answers.

    Christian

  2. Re: startup scripts / PATH variable

    > Hello group!
    >
    > Can anybody here tell me, what scripts are executed between the startup
    > scripts in /etc/rc2.d (or /etc/init.d) and the login scripts (say
    > /etc/profile)?
    >
    > I have the problem, that the PATH environment variable is already set when
    > /etc/profile is executed and contains very strange entries (i.e. paths of
    > software that had been installed on the machine years ago). Is there a
    > script being sourced before /etc/profile after login?
    >
    > I found out, that the "system standard" PATHs (generated from
    > /usr/include/paths.h) can be found in /etc/default/login, but those

    contain
    > nothing special.
    >
    > I know, I could just overwrite the PATH in /etc/profile, but I'd just like
    > to know where those paths come from.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your answers.
    >
    > Christian

    Maybe this one's useful information, too:
    I'm using the bash shell, and I'm getting slightly different paths depending
    on from where I log in (console, telnet, ssh). And (of course?) I'm getting
    different paths as root and as normal user.

  3. Re: startup scripts / PATH variable

    "Christian Grothe" wrote in message
    > Hello group!
    >
    > Can anybody here tell me, what scripts are executed between the startup
    > scripts in /etc/rc2.d (or /etc/init.d) and the login scripts (say
    > /etc/profile)?
    >
    > I have the problem, that the PATH environment variable is already set when
    > /etc/profile is executed and contains very strange entries (i.e. paths of
    > software that had been installed on the machine years ago). Is there a
    > script being sourced before /etc/profile after login?
    >
    > I found out, that the "system standard" PATHs (generated from
    > /usr/include/paths.h) can be found in /etc/default/login, but those

    contain
    > nothing special.
    >
    > I know, I could just overwrite the PATH in /etc/profile, but I'd just like
    > to know where those paths come from.

    Have you already took a look at the shell config files and the files that
    they
    source? (ie: .tcshrc, .cshrc, etc). It could be that somebody set the path
    on
    those files.

    Regards,
    Josef