Re: USB card for O2 - SGI

This is a discussion on Re: USB card for O2 - SGI ; IRIX only ships with USB support for IP35, eg Fuel, Tezro, Onyx350, etc. Michael Emmanuel Florac wrote: > Wait a minute, Fuel and Tezro do have USB. There must be some sort of > support in IRIX then. > > ...

  1. Re: USB card for O2

    --
    Michael A. Raymond
    Core OS Scheduling Group Real-Time Lead

  2. Re: USB card for O2

    Dans article <3F786E71.BC119C8B@sgi.com>, mraymond@sgi.com disait...

    > IRIX only ships with USB support for IP35, eg Fuel, Tezro, Onyx350,
    > etc.

    Sure. However I suppose they use TI USB chipset like everyone else, so it
    may work on other systems (provided the right chipset of course).

    --
    Quis, quid, ubi, quibus auxiliis, cur, quomodo, quando?

  3. Re: USB card for O2

    Emmanuel Florac writes:

    > > IRIX only ships with USB support for IP35, eg Fuel, Tezro, Onyx350,
    > > etc.

    > Sure. However I suppose they use TI USB chipset like everyone else, so it
    > may work on other systems (provided the right chipset of course).

    (and that you manage to force the kernel compilation process to include
    the right bits, which I assume the OP meant are not included in non-IP35
    kernels, and that the USB support you get would be useful at all)

    File attachments NOT welcome unless agreed to beforehand.

  4. Re: USB card for O2

    Michael Raymond wrote in message news:<3F786E71.BC119C8B@sgi.com>...
    > IRIX only ships with USB support for IP35, eg Fuel, Tezro, Onyx350,
    > etc.
    > Michael
    >
    > Emmanuel Florac wrote:
    > > Wait a minute, Fuel and Tezro do have USB. There must be some sort of
    > > support in IRIX then.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Quis, quid, ubi, quibus auxiliis, cur, quomodo, quando?

    Would it be that hard to [un]officially support one or two USB
    chipsets on the O2 and Octane?

    Alternatively, maybe telling us the chipset used in the IP35 machines,
    so we can dig up cards based on them, and hopefully get them working?
    It's kinda frustrating to have these great old machines that lack
    support for a lot of modern peripherals, and the expansion bus that
    would provide them can't.

  5. Re: USB card for O2

    In article <23f1afcd.0310022012.3d67625c@posting.google.com>,
    jshaw@thenewt.com (regnaD kciN) wrote:

    : Alternatively, maybe telling us the chipset used in the IP35 machines,
    : so we can dig up cards based on them, and hopefully get them working?
    : It's kinda frustrating to have these great old machines that lack
    : support for a lot of modern peripherals, and the expansion bus that
    : would provide them can't.

    USB only comes in 3 flavours: UHCI, OHCI and EHCI. Generally UHCI is only seen
    on Intel and Via motherboards, OHCI is everywhere else, and EHCI is for USB2.

    The actual chipset, from the driver perspective, is mostly irrelevant. Usually
    you're limited by which PCI-IDs that the driver feels like talking to.

    Cheers - Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler