Re: Compiling ipfilter for IP19 - SGI

This is a discussion on Re: Compiling ipfilter for IP19 - SGI ; On 2003-09-18, Joseph Michaud wrote: > In article , > Marek Zawadzki wrote: >> >> So I installed sources from the very package, applied diffs included, followed >> INSTALL.IRIX, but 'make irix' fails: /... >> Any thoughts or alternatives for ...

  1. Re: Compiling ipfilter for IP19

    On 2003-09-18, Joseph Michaud wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Marek Zawadzki wrote:
    >>
    >> So I installed sources from the very package, applied diffs included, followed
    >> INSTALL.IRIX, but 'make irix' fails:

    /...
    >> Any thoughts or alternatives for installing ipfilter on
    >> "IRIX64 6.5 6.5.20m 04091957 IP19" ?

    > You'll have to do a bit of work to get it to compile. (Try moving
    > the private ipsend/tcpip.h aside and make sure to include tcpip.h
    > from netinet whereever specified.)

    Thanks, it compiled but kernel panics during network initialization (SOFTWARE
    ERROR).
    I'm not using ipfilter - that's it.

    Why doesn't SGI include some decent _and_ supported firewalling solution in
    their OS? It's standard in other *nixes.
    Is there any alternative to ipfilter?

    -marek

  2. Re: Compiling ipfilter for IP19

    In article ,
    Marek Zawadzki wrote:
    >On 2003-09-18, Joseph Michaud wrote:
    >> In article ,
    >> Marek Zawadzki wrote:
    >>>
    >>> So I installed sources from the very package, applied diffs included, followed
    >>> INSTALL.IRIX, but 'make irix' fails:

    >/...
    >>> Any thoughts or alternatives for installing ipfilter on
    >>> "IRIX64 6.5 6.5.20m 04091957 IP19" ?

    >> You'll have to do a bit of work to get it to compile. (Try moving
    >> the private ipsend/tcpip.h aside and make sure to include tcpip.h
    >> from netinet whereever specified.)

    >Thanks, it compiled but kernel panics during network initialization (SOFTWARE
    >ERROR).
    >I'm not using ipfilter - that's it.
    >
    >Why doesn't SGI include some decent _and_ supported firewalling solution in
    >their OS? It's standard in other *nixes.
    >Is there any alternative to ipfilter?

    Why don't you just talk to ipfilter's author instead of badmouthing his
    work in public? Darren is quite good about answering his mail.

    --
    Thor Lancelot Simon tls@rek.tjls.com
    objects that he could think of, and had screamed: "You lamp! You towel! You

  3. Re: Compiling ipfilter for IP19

    On 2003-09-29, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Marek Zawadzki wrote:

    /...
    >>Thanks, it compiled but kernel panics during network initialization (SOFTWARE
    >>ERROR).
    >>I'm not using ipfilter - that's it.
    >>
    >>Why doesn't SGI include some decent _and_ supported firewalling solution in
    >>their OS? It's standard in other *nixes.
    >>Is there any alternative to ipfilter?

    > Why don't you just talk to ipfilter's author instead of badmouthing his
    > work in public? Darren is quite good about answering his mail.

    I'll bite: IRIX is a commercial OS and if they ship software and don't bother
    to have it compiled for all 10 or so platforms I call it plain laziness.
    They risk incompatibilities in compiler/libraries/etc. across their clients'
    systems and then the whole mess goes into the kernel.
    The author of ipfilter most probably did a great contribution, but SGI did
    not ship it properly as a product, at least in my case.
    Oh well, I'll survive, anyway.

    -marek

  4. Re: Compiling ipfilter for IP19

    In article ,
    Marek Zawadzki wrote:
    >On 2003-09-29, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
    >> In article ,
    >> Marek Zawadzki wrote:

    >/...
    >>>Thanks, it compiled but kernel panics during network initialization (SOFTWARE
    >>>ERROR).
    >>>I'm not using ipfilter - that's it.
    >>>
    >>>Why doesn't SGI include some decent _and_ supported firewalling solution in
    >>>their OS? It's standard in other *nixes.
    >>>Is there any alternative to ipfilter?

    >> Why don't you just talk to ipfilter's author instead of badmouthing his
    >> work in public? Darren is quite good about answering his mail.

    >I'll bite: IRIX is a commercial OS and if they ship software and don't bother
    >to have it compiled for all 10 or so platforms I call it plain laziness.

    IP19 is discontinued and on the verge of being desupported (hasn't the
    date already been announced)? No processors requiring -mips3 have been
    sold by SGI in nearly a decade. I think it's an annoying mistake but
    hardly one that is beyond comprehension.

    SGI didn't write ipfilter; Darren Reed did. It runs on half a dozen
    widely different Unix platforms. In fact, I'm pretty sure he started
    porting it to Irix on the machine you first used Irix on, yourself,
    which is an amusing coincidence. If what you're after is a working
    ipfilter installation, instead of an opportunity to vent about SGI
    (mind you, I have been known to vent about SGI in this newsgroup myself
    from time to time!) you can probably get somewhere by talking to Darren.

    --
    Thor Lancelot Simon tls@rek.tjls.com
    objects that he could think of, and had screamed: "You lamp! You towel! You
    plate!" and so on. --Sigmund Freud

+ Reply to Thread