How to use the entire harddisk? - Setup

This is a discussion on How to use the entire harddisk? - Setup ; PT> The number of cylinder max is supposed to be 60801, but PT> the extended partition max out to 46688 only. fdisk does PT> not allow me to create any more primary, and I cannot PT> convert the the remaining ...

  1. How to use the entire harddisk?

    PT> The number of cylinder max is supposed to be 60801, but
    PT> the extended partition max out to 46688 only. fdisk does
    PT> not allow me to create any more primary, and I cannot
    PT> convert the the remaining space between cylinder 46688
    PT> and 60801 to become part of the last extended partition.

    Then use a partition table utility that can. Stop thinking that fdisk
    is the only tool. parted's "resize" command is capable of resizing
    type 0x05 partitions, as is Powerquest's^WSymantec's Partition Magic.

  2. Re: How to use the entire harddisk?

    J de Boyne Pollard did eloquently scribble:
    > PT> The number of cylinder max is supposed to be 60801, but
    > PT> the extended partition max out to 46688 only. fdisk does
    > PT> not allow me to create any more primary, and I cannot
    > PT> convert the the remaining space between cylinder 46688
    > PT> and 60801 to become part of the last extended partition.

    > Then use a partition table utility that can. Stop thinking that fdisk
    > is the only tool. parted's "resize" command is capable of resizing
    > type 0x05 partitions, as is Powerquest's^WSymantec's Partition Magic.

    fdisk is old, and on larger disks (can't remember the limit) it maxes out.
    This isn't entirely fdisk's fault, it just lacks support for a partition
    table with large enough fields.

    parted (and the various front ends) however, allow the creation of a
    different type of partition table called gpt which accomodates disks and
    raid array sizes into the terabytes.

  3. Re: How to use the entire harddisk?

    On Thu, 4 Oct 2007 17:55:54 +0100, spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:

    >J de Boyne Pollard did eloquently scribble:
    >> PT> The number of cylinder max is supposed to be 60801, but
    >> PT> the extended partition max out to 46688 only. fdisk does
    >> PT> not allow me to create any more primary, and I cannot
    >> PT> convert the the remaining space between cylinder 46688
    >> PT> and 60801 to become part of the last extended partition.

    >> Then use a partition table utility that can. Stop thinking that fdisk
    >> is the only tool. parted's "resize" command is capable of resizing
    >> type 0x05 partitions, as is Powerquest's^WSymantec's Partition Magic.

    >fdisk is old, and on larger disks (can't remember the limit) it maxes out.
    >This isn't entirely fdisk's fault, it just lacks support for a partition
    >table with large enough fields.

    Cite please?

    Fdisk works just fine listing the partition table on my 750G drive although
    I used gparted to set it up as it does file system initialization and
    partition creation in one place.

  4. Re: How to use the entire harddisk?

    AZ Nomad did eloquently scribble:
    > On Thu, 4 Oct 2007 17:55:54 +0100, spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:

    >>J de Boyne Pollard did eloquently scribble:

    >>> Then use a partition table utility that can. Stop thinking that fdisk
    >>> is the only tool. parted's "resize" command is capable of resizing
    >>> type 0x05 partitions, as is Powerquest's^WSymantec's Partition Magic.

    >>fdisk is old, and on larger disks (can't remember the limit) it maxes out.
    >>This isn't entirely fdisk's fault, it just lacks support for a partition
    >>table with large enough fields.

    > Cite please?

    Experience.
    It was a few years ago but I found out the hard way fdisk couldn't handle
    large disks/arrays. I think the limit of fdisk is 2TB. Then you NEED the gpt
    partition table using parted, fdisk totally screws up.

    > Fdisk works just fine listing the partition table on my 750G drive although
    > I used gparted to set it up as it does file system initialization and
    > partition creation in one place.

    It might work for your 750gig...
    But try creating one that works with fdisk on a massive disk (or array) of
    more than 2TB.
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  5. How to use the entire harddisk?

    s> fdisk is old, and on larger disks (can't remember the limit) it
    s> maxes out. This isn't entirely fdisk's fault, it just lacks
    s> support for a partition table with large enough fields.

    AN> Cite please?
    AN> Fdisk works just fine listing the partition table on my 750G drive
    [...]

    s> Experience.
    s> It was a few years ago but I found out the hard way fdisk
    s> couldn't handle large disks/arrays. I think the limit of fdisk
    s> is 2TB. Then you NEED the gpt partition table using parted,
    s> fdisk totally screws up.

    The limit is 2.2TB, not 2TB, and it is a limitation of the MBR
    partition table scheme not a limitation of "fdisk". The limitation of
    "fdisk" is merely that it doesn't understand the EFI partition table
    scheme. It happily understands the BSD disklabel partitioning scheme,
    which has different limits to the MBR scheme.

    See http://homepages.tesco.net./~J.deBoy.../FGA/os2-disc-
    and-volume-size-limits.html#PartitionTableLimits>

+ Reply to Thread