GCL ??? - Setup

This is a discussion on GCL ??? - Setup ; Hi. I've got a hard time compiling GCL-2.6.7. The build is stuck on a segfault, caused by a buggy malloc, Gentoo bugtracking list dixit : Building symbol table for /sources/gcl-2.6.7/unixport/raw_pre_gcl .. Unrecoverable error: Segmentation violation.. /bin/sh: line 1: 13485 Abandon ...

  1. GCL ???

    Hi.

    I've got a hard time compiling GCL-2.6.7. The build is stuck on a
    segfault, caused by a buggy malloc, Gentoo bugtracking list dixit :

    Building symbol table for /sources/gcl-2.6.7/unixport/raw_pre_gcl ..

    Unrecoverable error: Segmentation violation..
    /bin/sh: line 1: 13485
    Abandon /sources/gcl-2.6.7/unixport/raw_pre_gcl /sources/
    gcl-2.6.7/unixport/
    -libdir /sources/gcl-2.6.7/ < foo make[1]: *** [saved_pre_gcl] Erreur 134
    rm raw_pre_gcl make[1]: quittant le répertoire
    « /sources/gcl-2.6.7/unixport » make: *** [unixport/saved_pre_gcl] Erreur
    2

    I don't quite understand all the workarounds provided by the Gentoo list,
    as they are quite contradictory. Can someone help me compile this
    package ? I need it badly for Maxima.

    \bye

    PS : it used to compile quite fine on my previous installation... But I
    didn't write down the process, and now the hard drive is gone back to its
    creator !

    --

    Nicolas FRANCOIS | /\
    http://nicolas.francois.free.fr | |__|

  2. Re: GCL ???

    Eul_Bofo wrote:
    > Hi.
    >
    > I've got a hard time compiling GCL-2.6.7. The build is stuck on a
    > segfault, caused by a buggy malloc, Gentoo bugtracking list dixit :
    >
    > Building symbol table for /sources/gcl-2.6.7/unixport/raw_pre_gcl ..
    >
    > Unrecoverable error: Segmentation violation..
    > /bin/sh: line 1: 13485
    > Abandon /sources/gcl-2.6.7/unixport/raw_pre_gcl /sources/
    > gcl-2.6.7/unixport/
    > -libdir /sources/gcl-2.6.7/ < foo make[1]: *** [saved_pre_gcl] Erreur 134
    > rm raw_pre_gcl make[1]: quittant le répertoire
    > « /sources/gcl-2.6.7/unixport » make: *** [unixport/saved_pre_gcl] Erreur
    > 2
    >
    > I don't quite understand all the workarounds provided by the Gentoo list,
    > as they are quite contradictory. Can someone help me compile this
    > package ? I need it badly for Maxima.
    >
    > \bye
    >
    > PS : it used to compile quite fine on my previous installation... But I
    > didn't write down the process, and now the hard drive is gone back to its
    > creator !

    Unless you want to build the gentoo 'secret sauce' yourself for such packages
    when you update or need to compile yourself, then I don't recommend gentoo.

    Are you compiling a gentoo package, or from a raw source tarball?

  3. Re: GCL ???

    Le Sun, 09 Nov 2008 15:58:30 +0000, Nico Kadel-Garcia a écrit*:

    > Unless you want to build the gentoo 'secret sauce' yourself for such
    > packages when you update or need to compile yourself, then I don't
    > recommend gentoo.
    >
    > Are you compiling a gentoo package, or from a raw source tarball?

    raw source tarball. I use the Gentoo list only because they identify
    problems similar to the ones LFS users encounter :-)

    \bye

    --

    Nicolas FRANCOIS | /\
    http://nicolas.francois.free.fr | |__|
    X--/\\
    We are the Micro$oft. _\_V
    Resistance is futile.
    You will be assimilated. darthvader penguin

  4. Re: GCL ???

    Le Sun, 09 Nov 2008 16:06:15 +0000, Eul_Bofo a écrit*:

    > Le Sun, 09 Nov 2008 15:58:30 +0000, Nico Kadel-Garcia a écrit*:
    >
    >> Unless you want to build the gentoo 'secret sauce' yourself for such
    >> packages when you update or need to compile yourself, then I don't
    >> recommend gentoo.
    >>
    >> Are you compiling a gentoo package, or from a raw source tarball?

    > raw source tarball. I use the Gentoo list only because they identify
    > problems similar to the ones LFS users encounter :-)
    >
    > \bye

    The SVN versions gives similar error messages. I suspect a compatibility
    problem with Gcc, without any particular clue to this...

    \bye

    --

    Nicolas FRANCOIS | /\
    http://nicolas.francois.free.fr | |__|
    X--/\\
    We are the Micro$oft. _\_V
    Resistance is futile.
    You will be assimilated. darthvader penguin

  5. Re: GCL ???

    Eul_Bofo wrote:
    > Le Sun, 09 Nov 2008 16:06:15 +0000, Eul_Bofo a écrit :
    >
    >> Le Sun, 09 Nov 2008 15:58:30 +0000, Nico Kadel-Garcia a écrit :
    >>
    >>> Unless you want to build the gentoo 'secret sauce' yourself for such
    >>> packages when you update or need to compile yourself, then I don't
    >>> recommend gentoo.
    >>>
    >>> Are you compiling a gentoo package, or from a raw source tarball?

    >> raw source tarball. I use the Gentoo list only because they identify
    >> problems similar to the ones LFS users encounter :-)
    >>
    >> \bye

    > The SVN versions gives similar error messages. I suspect a compatibility
    > problem with Gcc, without any particular clue to this...
    >
    > \bye

    Can you run a direct 'diff' between the Gentoo modified package, and the raw
    source tarball? Or examine the tweaks they apply in the build system?

  6. Re: GCL ???

    Le Sun, 09 Nov 2008 18:02:24 +0000, Nico Kadel-Garcia a écrit*:

    > Can you run a direct 'diff' between the Gentoo modified package, and the
    > raw source tarball? Or examine the tweaks they apply in the build
    > system?

    I think you missed a point : I DON'T use Gentoo tarball. Mine is the
    Gcl-2.6.7.tar.gz tarball I found on the GCL savanah page, with NO diff
    applied. I just tried to read the Gentoo bug list on this package, and
    didn't find anything conclusive about it.

    So I'm looking at someone having encountered AND solved, if possible,
    this error :-)

    \bye

    --

    Nicolas FRANCOIS | /\
    http://nicolas.francois.free.fr | |__|
    X--/\\
    We are the Micro$oft. _\_V
    Resistance is futile.
    You will be assimilated. darthvader penguin

  7. Re: GCL ???

    Le Sun, 09 Nov 2008 19:57:53 +0000, Nico Kadel-Garcia a écrit*:

    > Eul_Bofo wrote:
    >> Le Sun, 09 Nov 2008 18:02:24 +0000, Nico Kadel-Garcia a écrit :
    >>
    >>> Can you run a direct 'diff' between the Gentoo modified package, and
    >>> the raw source tarball? Or examine the tweaks they apply in the build
    >>> system?

    >> I think you missed a point : I DON'T use Gentoo tarball. Mine is the
    >> Gcl-2.6.7.tar.gz tarball I found on the GCL savanah page, with NO diff
    >> applied. I just tried to read the Gentoo bug list on this package, and
    >> didn't find anything conclusive about it.
    >>
    >> So I'm looking at someone having encountered AND solved, if possible,
    >> this error :-)
    >>
    >> \bye
    >>

    > No, I didn't say *use* the Gentoo tarball. I said look at it. I do this
    > for software packages frequently, to find if there are specific tweaks
    > necessary that someone else has applied, just as you are seeking.

    Oups, sorry. I'll try that.

    \bye

    --

    Nicolas FRANCOIS | /\
    http://nicolas.francois.free.fr | |__|
    X--/\\
    We are the Micro$oft. _\_V
    Resistance is futile.
    You will be assimilated. darthvader penguin

+ Reply to Thread