Not able to boot windows from grub. - Setup

This is a discussion on Not able to boot windows from grub. - Setup ; Hi, I have installed fedora on primary hard-disk and and Win on secondary hard-disk. Fedora is booting fine, but Win is not booting, When selected Win for booting from grub GNU. Last prints that i can see on the monitor ...

  1. Not able to boot windows from grub.

    Hi,

    I have installed fedora on primary hard-disk and and Win on secondary
    hard-disk.
    Fedora is booting fine, but Win is not booting,
    When selected Win for booting from grub GNU. Last prints that i can
    see on the monitor is,

    rootnoverify (hd1,0)
    chainloader +1.

    But windows boots when i select hard disk-2 for booting.

    Thanks,
    -Mushtaq Khan

  2. Re: Not able to boot windows from grub.

    "khan" wrote
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have installed fedora on primary hard-disk and and Win on secondary
    > hard-disk.
    > Fedora is booting fine, but Win is not booting,
    > When selected Win for booting from grub GNU. Last prints that i can
    > see on the monitor is,
    >
    > rootnoverify (hd1,0)
    > chainloader +1.
    >
    > But windows boots when i select hard disk-2 for booting.

    I think you need this the other way round - Linux will boot from anywhere,
    but Windows will only boot from the primary HD (AFAIK). So when you "select
    hard disk-2 for booting", you are essentially telling the BIOS to make HD2
    the primary one.

    I think.

    YMMV.

    CC

  3. Re: Not able to boot windows from grub.

    khan wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have installed fedora on primary hard-disk and and Win on secondary
    > hard-disk.
    > Fedora is booting fine, but Win is not booting,
    > When selected Win for booting from grub GNU. Last prints that i can
    > see on the monitor is,
    >
    > rootnoverify (hd1,0)
    > chainloader +1.
    >
    > But windows boots when i select hard disk-2 for booting.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > -Mushtaq Khan

    Add two map () () statements to the windows portion of menu.lst.
    From GRUB docs:

    4.2.6 DOS/Windows
    -----------------

    GRUB cannot boot DOS or Windows directly, so you must chain-load them
    (*note Chain-loading:. However, their boot loaders have some critical
    deficiencies, so it may not work to just chain-load them. To overcome
    the problems, GRUB provides you with two helper functions.

    If you have installed DOS (or Windows) on a non-first hard disk, you
    have to use the disk swapping technique, because that OS cannot boot
    from any disks but the first one. The workaround used in GRUB is the
    command `map' (*note map:, like this:

    grub> map (hd0) (hd1)
    grub> map (hd1) (hd0)

    This performs a "virtual" swap between your first and second hard
    drive.

    *Caution:* This is effective only if DOS (or Windows) uses BIOS to
    access the swapped disks. If that OS uses a special driver for the
    disks, this probably won't work.

  4. Re: Not able to boot windows from grub.

    On Nov 4, 4:38 am, "Magnate" wrote:
    > "khan" wrote
    >
    > > Hi,

    > > I have installed fedora on primary hard-disk and and Win on secondary
    > > hard-disk.
    > > Fedora is booting fine, but Win is not booting,
    > > When selected Win for booting from grub GNU. Last prints that i can
    > > see on the monitor is,

    > > rootnoverify (hd1,0)
    > > chainloader +1.

    > > But windows boots when i select hard disk-2 for booting.

    > I think you need this the other way round - Linux will boot from anywhere,
    > but Windows will only boot from the primary HD (AFAIK). So when you "select
    > hard disk-2 for booting", you are essentially telling the BIOS to make HD2
    > the primary one.
    >
    > I think.

    Take a look at the last 25 lines of this file:

    That's a system triple-booting into either Solaris 10, Fedora 9, or
    Vista.
    Vista was originally on the one (and only) disk. When I added a second
    HD
    I used the BIOS to make that second disk (with Solaris and Fedora) the
    first to boot. All three OSs are selected from Solaris' grub, and they
    boot
    and work fine.

  5. Re: Not able to boot windows from grub.

    On 2008-11-04, Magnate wrote:
    > "khan" wrote
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I have installed fedora on primary hard-disk and and Win on secondary
    >> hard-disk.
    >> Fedora is booting fine, but Win is not booting,
    >> When selected Win for booting from grub GNU. Last prints that i can
    >> see on the monitor is,
    >>
    >> rootnoverify (hd1,0)
    >> chainloader +1.
    >>
    >> But windows boots when i select hard disk-2 for booting.

    > I think you need this the other way round - Linux will boot from anywhere,
    > but Windows will only boot from the primary HD (AFAIK). So when you "select
    > hard disk-2 for booting", you are essentially telling the BIOS to make HD2
    > the primary one.

    Windows does boot from the second from the secondary HD but it has to
    put its boot loader on HD1.

    -Erik

    --
    v4sw5RUYhw2ln3pr5ck0ma2u7Lw3+2Xm0l6/7Gi2e2t3b6AKMen5+7a16s0Sr1p-5.62/-6.56g6OR

+ Reply to Thread