weird cdrom problem - Setup

This is a discussion on weird cdrom problem - Setup ; After I installed linux on my notebook(dual-boot with windows xp), the cdrom drive can not be found in both os's. The weird thing is that I can still boot with a cd (for example, linux rescue cd). But after installation ...

  1. weird cdrom problem

    After I installed linux on my notebook(dual-boot with windows xp), the
    cdrom drive can not be found in both os's.

    The weird thing is that I can still boot with a cd (for example, linux
    rescue cd). But after installation /dev/cdrom does not exist, and
    there is no cdrom entry in fstab or mtab.

    I had an accidental power-off during setup (battery used up). I guess
    the notebook firmware somehow went wrong?

    * what is the possible cause?
    * how can I check the existence of cdrom drive in linux?
    * how can I know, when booting from cd (linux rescue mode), which
    device it is using? How can I mount cd under linux rescue mode?

  2. Re: weird cdrom problem

    ke wrote:
    > After I installed linux on my notebook(dual-boot with windows xp), the
    > cdrom drive can not be found in both os's.
    >
    > The weird thing is that I can still boot with a cd (for example, linux
    > rescue cd). But after installation /dev/cdrom does not exist, and
    > there is no cdrom entry in fstab or mtab.

    Ah.

    So its in the bios, but the drivers have been disabled..

    I'd gop and check bios settings anyway, as its weird it doesn't show up
    in widows.

    > I had an accidental power-off during setup (battery used up). I guess
    > the notebook firmware somehow went wrong?
    >
    > * what is the possible cause?
    > * how can I check the existence of cdrom drive in linux?
    > * how can I know, when booting from cd (linux rescue mode), which
    > device it is using? How can I mount cd under linux rescue mode?

+ Reply to Thread