Linked libraries - Setup

This is a discussion on Linked libraries - Setup ; I've got two servers with (almost) identical software. However, on one of them I recently tried to tweak some /lib-libraries. This monday I experienced troubles with a particular executable on one of the server (the server, where I tweaked previously) ...

  1. Linked libraries

    I've got two servers with (almost) identical software.

    However, on one of them I recently tried to tweak some /lib-libraries.
    This monday I experienced troubles with a particular executable on one
    of the server (the server, where I tweaked previously) resulting in a
    "segmentation fault"

    I've tried to debug with ldd, and obtain different results at server A
    (where the executable runs succesfully) and server B (where I
    experience the segmentation fault). I.e.:

    A:
    $ ldd /path/to/binary/executable
    libpthread.so.0 => /lib/i686/libpthread.so.0 (0x40027000)
    libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3 => /usr/lib/libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3
    (0x4003c000)
    libm.so.6 => /lib/i686/libm.so.6 (0x4007e000)
    libc.so.6 => /lib/i686/libc.so.6 (0x400a1000)

    $ ldd /path/to/binary/executable
    libpthread.so.0 => /lib/tls/libpthread.so.0 (0x008ea000)
    libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3 => /usr/lib/libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3
    (0x006f1000)
    libm.so.6 => /lib/tls/libm.so.6 (0x007e4000)
    libc.so.6 => /lib/tls/libc.so.6 (0x00111000)
    /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x00693000)
    libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 (0x0095a000)

    The differences in the first 4 occurences are probably due to the
    different operating systems (RH72 vs. RHEL4). But I am curious about
    the last 1-2 lines, since the "tweak" I made earlier (due to other
    problems) was concerning libgcc_s.so.1 exactly.

    I'm pretty new to this stuff about linked libraries - so does any of
    you have any clues on how I can get rid of this segmentation fault?

    For instance, is there some way I can get back to the starting point
    BEFORE the tweak. For information, the tweak was about changing a
    file /path/to/some/software/libgcc_s.so.1 into a symbolic link
    pointing to /lib/libgcc_s.so.1. I've tried to undo the tweak by
    removing the sym. link and replacing it with the initial file, but it
    still gives a segmentation fault.

    I hope any of you have some suggestions on how to get around the.

    Best regards,
    Kenneth

  2. Re: Linked libraries

    Kenneth Brun Nielsen wrote:
    > I've got two servers with (almost) identical software.
    >
    > However, on one of them I recently tried to tweak some /lib-libraries.
    > This monday I experienced troubles with a particular executable on one
    > of the server (the server, where I tweaked previously) resulting in a
    > "segmentation fault"
    >
    > I've tried to debug with ldd, and obtain different results at server A
    > (where the executable runs succesfully) and server B (where I
    > experience the segmentation fault). I.e.:

    [...]

    > I'm pretty new to this stuff about linked libraries - so does any of
    > you have any clues on how I can get rid of this segmentation fault?
    >
    > For instance, is there some way I can get back to the starting point
    > BEFORE the tweak. For information, the tweak was about changing a
    > file /path/to/some/software/libgcc_s.so.1 into a symbolic link
    > pointing to /lib/libgcc_s.so.1. I've tried to undo the tweak by
    > removing the sym. link and replacing it with the initial file, but it
    > still gives a segmentation fault.
    >
    > I hope any of you have some suggestions on how to get around the.

    Did you link anything or are you trying to get already linked software
    to run?

    If you replace the shared library that a program expects with a different
    shared library, a segmentation fault may well occur.

    My advice would be not to "tweak" around with system libraries, particularly
    if you do not know much about what is going on.

    I guess there was some problem that tempted you to mess with it in the
    first place. What was that problem? Maybe it can be addressed in a better
    way.

    Yours,
    Laurenz Albe

+ Reply to Thread