Suse 10.3 clone problem - Setup

This is a discussion on Suse 10.3 clone problem - Setup ; I have two identical PCs with Suse 10.3 installed in PC1 and wish to clone the installation into PC2. So far I have succeeded in transferring the content of the HD of PC1 into the HD of PC2. PC2 starts ...

  1. Suse 10.3 clone problem

    I have two identical PCs with Suse 10.3 installed in PC1 and wish to
    clone the installation into PC2.

    So far I have succeeded in transferring the content of the HD of PC1
    into the HD of PC2. PC2 starts to boot but stops with the message
    "Could not find /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_SAMSUNG_HM160HCS...-part2".

    My undersstanding is that the Suse image in PC2 is searching for the
    HD image id of PC1 which, of course, is differnt in PC2. It seems that
    I in some way have to modify the image in PC2 to search for the HD id
    of PC2.

    Can anyone advice please?

  2. Re: Suse 10.3 clone problem

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 23:36:38 -0700, Bengt T wrote:

    > I have two identical PCs with Suse 10.3 installed in PC1 and wish to
    > clone the installation into PC2.
    >
    > So far I have succeeded in transferring the content of the HD of PC1
    > into the HD of PC2. PC2 starts to boot but stops with the message
    > "Could not find /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_SAMSUNG_HM160HCS...-part2".
    >
    > My undersstanding is that the Suse image in PC2 is searching for the
    > HD image id of PC1 which, of course, is differnt in PC2. It seems that
    > I in some way have to modify the image in PC2 to search for the HD id
    > of PC2.
    >
    > Can anyone advice please?

    When your system boots, the disk with the root filesystem will have
    a name in the device structure. You can fixup the file /etc/fstab as
    appropriate for your clone. man fstab

    For general advice on transferring system from one disk to another, I
    usually recommend the "hard disk upgrade mini-howto."

    Caveat: There may be other issues with cloning this way. There are
    keys and certificates which should be uniquely generated for every
    machine. You may get away with this type of cloning- especially in the
    case where a new machine simply replaces an old one, etc. Be careful.

    --
    Douglas Mayne

  3. Re: Suse 10.3 clone problem

    On 23 Okt, 17:22, Douglas Mayne wrote:
    > On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 23:36:38 -0700, Bengt T wrote:
    > > I have two identical PCs with Suse 10.3 installed in PC1 and wish to
    > > clone the installation into PC2.

    > > So far I have succeeded in transferring the content of the HD of PC1
    > > into the HD of PC2. PC2 starts to boot but stops with the message
    > > "Could not find /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_SAMSUNG_HM160HCS...-part2".

    > > My undersstanding is that the Suse image in PC2 is searching for the
    > > HD image id of PC1 which, of course, is differnt in PC2. It seems that
    > > I in some way have to modify the image in PC2 to search for the HD id
    > > of PC2.

    > > Can anyone advice please?

    > When your system boots, the disk with the root filesystem will have
    > a name in the device structure. You can fixup the file /etc/fstab as
    > appropriate for your clone. man fstab
    >
    > For general advice on transferring system from one disk to another, I
    > usually recommend the "hard disk upgrade mini-howto."
    >
    > Caveat: There may be other issues with cloning this way. There are
    > keys and certificates which should be uniquely generated for every
    > machine. You may get away with this type of cloning- especially in the
    > case where a new machine simply replaces an old one, etc. Be careful.
    >
    > --
    > Douglas Mayne

    Thanks for your response.

    I managed to solve the problem by replacing the "scsi-
    SATA_SAMSUNG_HM160HCS...-part2" information in files /etc/fstab and /
    boot/grub/menu.lst by
    logical parition information (/dev/sda...). After this PC2 boots
    normally.

    Thanks again!

    Bengt

+ Reply to Thread