yum update error - No module named _sha256 - Setup

This is a discussion on yum update error - No module named _sha256 - Setup ; I just updated from Fed 8 to Fed 9, went to do yum update and got the following: There was a problem importing one of the Python modules required to run yum. The error leading to this problem was: No ...

  1. yum update error - No module named _sha256

    I just updated from Fed 8 to Fed 9, went to do yum update and got the
    following:

    There was a problem importing one of the Python modules
    required to run yum. The error leading to this problem was:

    No module named _sha256

    Please install a package which provides this module, or
    verify that the module is installed correctly.

    It's possible that the above module doesn't match the
    current version of Python, which is:
    2.5.1 (r251:54863, Jun 15 2008, 23:59:20)
    [GCC 4.1.2 20070925 (Red Hat 4.1.2-33)]

    Ok not sure why yum didnt take care of updating itself properly
    on the update, but now what do I do to fix this? It seems its
    complaining about one of the python modules so I checked the old
    fc8 python stuff and got:

    rpm -qa | grep python | grep fc8
    libxslt-python-1.1.24-1.fc8.i386
    python-2.5.1-26.fc8.i386
    python-setuptools-0.6c8-1.fc8.noarch
    audit-libs-python-1.7.4-1.fc8.i386
    python-devel-2.5.1-26.fc8.i386
    python-libs-2.5.1-26.fc8.i386
    python-genshi-0.4.4-2.fc8.noarch
    python-exif-1.0.7-4.fc8.noarch
    MySQL-python-1.2.2-7.fc8.i386

    Im always curious why the upgrade installation leaves old packages
    around and doesnt update them if its indeed updating, in this case,
    python stuff?

    What do I do to fix this exactly?
    Thanks

  2. Re: yum update error - No module named _sha256

    On Oct 22, 3:47*pm, Jeff wrote:
    > I just updated from Fed 8 to Fed 9, went to do yum update and got the
    > following:
    >
    > There was a problem importing one of the Python modules
    > required to run yum. The error leading to this problem was:
    >
    > * *No module named _sha256
    >
    > Please install a package which provides this module, or
    > verify that the module is installed correctly.
    >
    > It's possible that the above module doesn't match the
    > current version of Python, which is:
    > 2.5.1 (r251:54863, Jun 15 2008, 23:59:20)
    > [GCC 4.1.2 20070925 (Red Hat 4.1.2-33)]
    >
    > Ok not sure why yum didnt take care of updating itself properly
    > on the update, but now what do I do to fix this? *It seems its
    > complaining about one of the python modules so I checked the old
    > fc8 python stuff and got:
    >
    > rpm -qa | grep python | grep fc8
    > libxslt-python-1.1.24-1.fc8.i386
    > python-2.5.1-26.fc8.i386
    > python-setuptools-0.6c8-1.fc8.noarch
    > audit-libs-python-1.7.4-1.fc8.i386
    > python-devel-2.5.1-26.fc8.i386
    > python-libs-2.5.1-26.fc8.i386
    > python-genshi-0.4.4-2.fc8.noarch
    > python-exif-1.0.7-4.fc8.noarch
    > MySQL-python-1.2.2-7.fc8.i386
    >
    > Im always curious why the upgrade installation leaves old packages
    > around and doesnt update them if its indeed updating, in this case,
    > python stuff?
    >
    > What do I do to fix this exactly?
    > Thanks

    Ok I had to remove at least 3 of the python rpm's using --nodeps and
    re-install
    the equivalent fc9 ones. I still dont get why the upgrades dont take
    care of
    getting rid of old ones and replacing them.

+ Reply to Thread