Synaptics problems while installing debian ETCH fvwm on a Thinkpad 600 - Setup

This is a discussion on Synaptics problems while installing debian ETCH fvwm on a Thinkpad 600 - Setup ; Hi there ! My old TP600 used to run perfectly well on RedHat 7.2. with fvwm. Persistent failures in trying to install wpa_supplicant on that system, as well as on RedHat 7.3, convinced me to try installing Debian Etch. This ...

  1. Synaptics problems while installing debian ETCH fvwm on a Thinkpad 600

    Hi there !

    My old TP600 used to run perfectly well on RedHat 7.2. with fvwm.
    Persistent failures in trying to install wpa_supplicant on that system,
    as well as on RedHat 7.3, convinced me to try installing Debian Etch.

    This Etch system is now up and running... except that I have been so far
    unable to run Xwindow on it.

    My purpose is to get fvwm running, not Gnome or KDE ; however I have tried
    the default install of GNOME with no real success (it was not as bad as
    fvwm, but the result was still very poor)

    fvwm installed, "startx" shows a screen of a meshed aspect, no icon or
    text appear... no Xterm is available...

    A check into the logfile (/var/log/Xorg.0.log) showed "synaptics" errors
    in the end. It is supposed to concern mice... since Synaptics,
    despites the fact that it had been properly installed and reckognised by
    my system, did not properly managed the built in mouse of my TP600.

    I am not sure that this is my only "X" problem, since, after the Synaptics
    error messages, something says that an older generic software had
    reckognised and managed said mouse... but it may have managed it in a way
    that did not fit with the remaining of config.

    Do you think that this may be responsible of my failure in getting X11
    (fvwm) to work on my Debian Etch neomagic system ?

    As a result, the X init process seems to start as it used to with fvwm on
    RedHat 7.2 and 7.3. With the above mentioned parameters, the graphic
    screen does fill all the available space. But I get stuck on a meshed
    aspect, and no icons or text appear, which is exactly what happened at
    start on my older system, except that it stayed that way only a few
    seconds before changing to a normal non meshed clean and good aspect
    with icons and text. On what I now get stuck, a left mouse clicking
    displays an "internal menu" with "xterm", "debian menu". Debian menu and other
    menus display screen boxes seem to work, "quit fvwm" works too, but
    "xterm" does not open any
    xterm window.

    Thanks in advance for helping me configure my fvwm graphic environment on
    that old laptop with Debian Etch

  2. Re: Synaptics problems while installing debian ETCH fvwm on aThinkpad 600

    On 2008-10-21, Bernard wrote:
    *SKIP*
    > Thanks in advance for helping me configure my fvwm graphic environment
    > on that old laptop with Debian Etch

    I think, the standard way of getting help for Debian is asking in Debian
    specific whatever (newsgroups, web-forums, mailing lists etc).

    Meanwhile consider --

    C (I may be wrong here (with package
    name) -- gone for testing and in stable I'd done that a long time (short
    memory, you know)).

    C (Did you go C
    or C way? IIRC, I'd gone C,
    and since that was for evaluation only (800x600, once used gimp) I
    was quite happy without xterm at all (xine wasn't happy with my P-200,
    though).