fvwm problem when installing Debian Etch on an old Thinkpad 600 - Setup

This is a discussion on fvwm problem when installing Debian Etch on an old Thinkpad 600 - Setup ; Hi There ! My old TP600 used to run perfectly well on RedHat 7.2. with fvwm. Persistent failures in trying to install wpa_supplicant on that system, as well as on RedHat 7.3, convinced me to try installing Debian Etch. This ...

  1. fvwm problem when installing Debian Etch on an old Thinkpad 600

    Hi There !

    My old TP600 used to run perfectly well on RedHat 7.2. with fvwm.
    Persistent failures in trying to install wpa_supplicant on that system,
    as well as on RedHat 7.3, convinced me to try installing Debian Etch.

    This Etch system is now up and running... except that I have been so far
    unable to run Xwindow on it. If, on the install process, I choose the
    office environment, then I get Gnome installed, with very poor
    results : the screen width is not filled 100% (maybe only 95%), the icons
    and caracters are of a very poor quality. It appears quite well that the
    MagicGraph 128XD chipset (NM2160) is not properly setup, even though it is
    being reckognised in the log file. I have therefore tried a new install of
    Etch, ignoring the office environment option. This worked all right, with
    no graphic environment in the end. I then installed ffvm using apt-get
    install process, adding whatever packages were being recommended with it.
    I also installed fonts, xserver-xorg, xserver-xorg-video-neomagic,
    gsynaptics, qsynaptics etc.. All this being done, I tried various configs
    using 'dpkg-reconfigure -plow xserver.org', with no success. For instance,
    with :

    X server driver : neomagic
    video memory available : left blank as recommended (but I have also tested
    128K). I will not mention parameters regarding keyboard and mice
    configuration. As for screen, it is "generics", and I checked 1024x768
    only (other def options have been tried with worse results). As for
    Horizontal and vertical defs, I confirmed the detected values, which seem
    to correspond to official values for this hardware : 28-64 KHz, and 43-60
    Hz. As far as color depth, I checked "16" bits, but I also tried 15, and
    even 8 and 24)

    As a result, the X init process seems to start as it used to with fvwm on
    RedHat 7.2 and 7.3. With the above mentioned parameters, the graphic
    screen does fill all the available space. But I get stuck on a meshed
    aspect, and no icons or text appear, which is exactly what happened at
    start on my older system, except that it stayed that way only a few
    seconds before changing to a normal non meshed clean and good aspect
    with icons and text. On what I now get stuck, a left mouse clicking
    displays an "internal menu" with "xterm", "debian menu". Debian menu and other
    menus display screen boxes seem to work, "quit fvwm" works too, but
    "xterm" does not open any
    xterm window.

    Thanks in advance for helping me configure my fvwm graphic environment on
    that old laptop with Debian Etch

  2. Re: fvwm problem when installing Debian Etch on an old Thinkpad 600

    Bernard :

    > My old TP600 used to run perfectly well on RedHat 7.2. with fvwm.
    > [snip]
    > being reckognised in the log file. I have therefore tried a new
    > install of Etch, ignoring the office environment option. This
    > worked all right, with

    fwiw, that's how I install it, albeit with aptitude.

    > no graphic environment in the end. I then installed ffvm using
    > apt-get install process, adding whatever packages were being
    > recommended with it. I also installed fonts, xserver-xorg,
    > xserver-xorg-video-neomagic, gsynaptics, qsynaptics etc.. All this
    > being done, I tried various configs using 'dpkg-reconfigure -plow
    > xserver.org', with no success. For instance,

    You've a choice of the free nv driver, the blob from nvidia requiring
    a recompiled kernel (not all that difficult), or vesa should work.

    > screen does fill all the available space. But I get stuck on a
    > meshed aspect, and no icons or text appear, which is exactly what
    > happened at

    I don't understand what you mean by meshed aspect.

    In my experience, the best way to config fvwm is to cp all the system
    config from /etc/fvwm into your home dir, and take control of it
    there. You may be missing fvwm related packages

    > start on my older system, except that it stayed that way only a few
    > seconds before changing to a normal non meshed clean and good
    > aspect with icons and text. On what I now get stuck, a left mouse
    > clicking displays an "internal menu" with "xterm", "debian
    > menu". Debian menu and other menus display screen boxes seem to
    > work, "quit fvwm" works too, but "xterm" does not open any xterm
    > window.

    Is xterm installed?

    > Thanks in advance for helping me configure my fvwm graphic
    > environment on that old laptop with Debian Etch

    I think fluxbox is much easier to deal with for essentially the same
    footprint and interface. Install that and get it working, and work on
    fvwm config in your spare time.