Could not open font 'fixed' message PART 2 - Setup

This is a discussion on Could not open font 'fixed' message PART 2 - Setup ; Hi , I have a server Linux with RedHat 8.0 showing the following error during the boot (WW) ATI(0) .Failed to setup write-combining range (0xfd0000000,0x00000000) (WW) ATI(0) .Failed to setup write-combining range (0xfd0000000,0x00000000) Error loading keymap /var/tmp/server-0-xkm Couldn't load XKB ...

  1. Could not open font 'fixed' message PART 2

    Hi , I have a server Linux with RedHat 8.0 showing the following
    error during the boot

    (WW) ATI(0) .Failed to setup write-combining range
    (0xfd0000000,0x00000000)
    (WW) ATI(0) .Failed to setup write-combining range
    (0xfd0000000,0x00000000)
    Error loading keymap /var/tmp/server-0-xkm
    Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap
    Could not init font path element unix/:7100, removing from list
    If you encounter a server crash , please report the problem by filling
    a bug report in the XFree86.org bugzilla at http://xfree86.org and/or
    Red Hat bugzilla at http://bugzilla .readhat.com/bugzilla.When filling
    your report , it is very important that you explain your problem in as
    much detail as possible .After submitting the bug report, attach the
    following the following files as uncompressed individual file
    attachments using the bugzilla file attachment feature:
    -X server log file: /var/log/XFree86.0.log
    -Kernel log file: /var/log/messages

    Fatal server error:
    Could not open font 'fixed'
    XIO:fatal IO error 104(Connection reset by peer) on X server:":0.0"
    After 0 requests (o known processed) with 0 events remaining.
    Fd 3 is not a master pty device(it is 4,1)
    INIT id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

    System loop searching for a monitor configuration (turning on and off
    the monitor)
    the hard disk was completely full so I freed some space without any
    change.
    What can I do?
    PS I cannot reinstall the OS because this server is an evidence in a
    trial

    I mailed this question some time ago and I followed the suggestion
    modifying the etc/inittab so now the X is disabled but after some
    tries I discovered that a PDF generator needs X active to generate
    PDF, I cannot change the PDF generator software so I 'm obliged to
    reactivate Xwindow.
    Where can I found this fonts and what's the procedure to install in
    the system?

    Thanks
    Andres

  2. Re: Could not open font 'fixed' message PART 2

    andres wrote:
    > Hi , I have a server Linux with RedHat 8.0 showing the following
    > error during the boot

    What part of 'obsolete operating system' is unclear?

    > (WW) ATI(0) .Failed to setup write-combining range
    > (0xfd0000000,0x00000000)
    > (WW) ATI(0) .Failed to setup write-combining range
    > (0xfd0000000,0x00000000)
    > Error loading keymap /var/tmp/server-0-xkm
    > Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap
    > Could not init font path element unix/:7100, removing from list
    > If you encounter a server crash , please report the problem by filling
    > a bug report in the XFree86.org bugzilla at http://xfree86.org and/or
    > Red Hat bugzilla at http://bugzilla .readhat.com/bugzilla.When filling
    > your report , it is very important that you explain your problem in as
    > much detail as possible .After submitting the bug report, attach the
    > following the following files as uncompressed individual file
    > attachments using the bugzilla file attachment feature:
    > -X server log file: /var/log/XFree86.0.log
    > -Kernel log file: /var/log/messages
    >
    > Fatal server error:
    > Could not open font 'fixed'
    > XIO:fatal IO error 104(Connection reset by peer) on X server:":0.0"
    > After 0 requests (o known processed) with 0 events remaining.
    > Fd 3 is not a master pty device(it is 4,1)
    > INIT id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
    >
    > System loop searching for a monitor configuration (turning on and off
    > the monitor)
    > the hard disk was completely full so I freed some space without any
    > change.
    > What can I do?
    > PS I cannot reinstall the OS because this server is an evidence in a
    > trial

    Oh. Hmm. Do you need to run X Windows? Can you log into it with VNC or SSH and
    run a remote display? And what does your full /etc/X11/*.conf file say, and
    did it ever work?

    > I mailed this question some time ago and I followed the suggestion
    > modifying the etc/inittab so now the X is disabled but after some
    > tries I discovered that a PDF generator needs X active to generate
    > PDF, I cannot change the PDF generator software so I 'm obliged to
    > reactivate Xwindow.
    > Where can I found this fonts and what's the procedure to install in
    > the system?

    No, you don't have to. If you can connect over a network, you can start X
    remotely. When was the last time this worked? Maybe it needs its display
    settings redone?

  3. Re: Could not open font 'fixed' message PART 2

    Nico Kadel-Garcia writes:
    > No, you don't have to. If you can connect over a network, you can start X
    > remotely. When was the last time this worked? Maybe it needs its display
    > settings redone?

    If it is really evidence nothing should be redone and it should not be
    booted up. The drives should be removed in the presence of witnesses,
    installed into read-only external enclosures, cloned onto another system,
    and then secured.

    Sounds like it may already be too late, though. A competent expert for the
    opposition may already have everything he needs to impeach your evidence.
    --
    John Hasler
    john@dhh.gt.org

  4. Re: Could not open font 'fixed' message PART 2

    John Hasler wrote:

    > If it is really evidence nothing should be redone and it should not be
    > booted up. The drives should be removed in the presence of witnesses,
    > installed into read-only external enclosures, cloned onto another system,
    > and then secured.

    You can the boot the machine from a LiveCD, such as Ubuntu, and mount
    the drives as read-only.

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley,
    393 Quinton Road West,

  5. Re: Could not open font 'fixed' message PART 2

    Mark writes:
    > You can the boot the machine from a LiveCD, such as Ubuntu, and mount the
    > drives as read-only.

    You could but I wouldn't. It is not sufficient to not alter the drives.
    You must also prove that you did not do so. The accepted way of doing that
    (in the US) is to clone the drives using an external enclosure constructed
    so as to make writing impossible.

    If your investigations require booting the machine do it using copies of
    the original drives. Booting with the original drives installed, even with
    a live CD, gives the opposition an opening to create doubt as to the
    integrity of the drives.
    --
    John Hasler
    john@dhh.gt.org

  6. Re: Could not open font 'fixed' message PART 2

    John Hasler wrote:
    > I wrote:
    >> If it is really evidence nothing should be redone and it should not be
    >> booted up. The drives should be removed in the presence of witnesses,
    >> installed into read-only external enclosures, cloned onto another system,
    >> and then secured.

    > Mark writes:
    >> You can the boot the machine from a LiveCD, such as Ubuntu, and mount the
    >> drives as read-only.

    > You could but I wouldn't. It is not sufficient to not alter the drives.
    > You must also prove that you did not do so. The accepted way of doing that
    > (in the US) is to clone the drives using an external enclosure constructed
    > so as to make writing impossible.
    >
    > If your investigations require booting the machine do it using copies of
    > the original drives. Booting with the original drives installed, even with
    > a live CD, gives the opposition an opening to create doubt as to the
    > integrity of the drives.

    Such clean room procedures are hardly common place. Simply explaining the
    issues to a prosecutor or investigator, and explaining what it costs in
    man-hours to do such extra steps, is confusing to them and normally winds up
    refused as unnecessary work.

  7. Re: Could not open font 'fixed' message PART 2

    andres wrote:
    > Hi , I have a server Linux with RedHat 8.0 showing the following
    > error during the boot

    You are screwed.

    > PS I cannot reinstall the OS because this server is an evidence in a
    > trial

    It can be sworn that all the data is on the hard drive because it is.

    Install that drive in another machine and read what you need to read.

    Or use a live linux distribution to boot the machine.

    >I mailed this question some time ago and I followed the suggestion

    modifying the etc/inittab so now the X is disabled but after some
    tries I discovered that a PDF generator needs X active to generate
    PDF, I cannot change the PDF generator software so I 'm obliged to
    reactivate Xwindow. Where can I found this fonts and what's the procedure to
    install in the system?

    I am not a lawyer, I just play one on TV. The words matter not the font in
    which they are written.

    May I suggest you tell your buddies they need the monitor it worked with to
    avoid any work arounds?

    --
    The lesson from this financial mess is the people on Wall Street are no more
    qualified than you and I to run the country's finances.

  8. Re: Could not open font 'fixed' message PART 2

    John Hasler wrote:
    > I wrote:
    >> If it is really evidence nothing should be redone and it should not be
    >> booted up. The drives should be removed in the presence of witnesses,
    >> installed into read-only external enclosures, cloned onto another system,
    >> and then secured.

    > Mark writes:
    >> You can the boot the machine from a LiveCD, such as Ubuntu, and mount the
    >> drives as read-only.

    > You could but I wouldn't. It is not sufficient to not alter the drives.
    > You must also prove that you did not do so. The accepted way of doing that
    > (in the US) is to clone the drives using an external enclosure constructed
    > so as to make writing impossible.

    > If your investigations require booting the machine do it using copies of
    > the original drives. Booting with the original drives installed, even with
    > a live CD, gives the opposition an opening to create doubt as to the
    > integrity of the drives.

    The interest appears to be in material that was used to generate pdf files.
    The content files can be screwed up accidentally but not not made
    incriminating accidentally.

    --
    Hodie decimo quinto Kalendas Octobres MMVIII est
    -- The Ferric Webcaesar

  9. Re: Could not open font 'fixed' message PART 2

    John Hasler wrote:

    > You could but I wouldn't. It is not sufficient to not alter the drives.
    > You must also prove that you did not do so. The accepted way of doing that
    > (in the US) is to clone the drives using an external enclosure constructed
    > so as to make writing impossible.

    I like the sound of those enclosures that make writing impossible. I
    could do with something like that. Do you know where to get these?

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley,
    393 Quinton Road West,

  10. Re: Could not open font 'fixed' message PART 2

    Mark Hobley wrote:
    > John Hasler wrote:
    >
    >> You could but I wouldn't. It is not sufficient to not alter the drives.
    >> You must also prove that you did not do so. The accepted way of doing that
    >> (in the US) is to clone the drives using an external enclosure constructed
    >> so as to make writing impossible.

    > I like the sound of those enclosures that make writing impossible. I
    > could do with something like that. Do you know where to get these?
    >
    > Mark.

    The usual technique is to remove the 'write' jumper from the SCSI or PATA
    drive, and put it in a normal drivebay or external enclosure.

  11. Re: Could not open font 'fixed' message PART 2

    Nico Kadel-Garcia writes:
    > The usual technique is to remove the 'write' jumper from the SCSI or PATA
    > drive, and put it in a normal drivebay or external enclosure.

    That will certainly do the job, though in some cases it might be politic to
    use one of the "special" enclosures sold for forensic use (i.e., ordinarly
    enclosures with some wires cut and the price doubled). Just search for
    companies serving the computer forensics market.
    --
    John Hasler
    john@dhh.gt.org

  12. Re: Could not open font 'fixed' message PART 2

    Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

    > The usual technique is to remove the 'write' jumper from the SCSI or PATA
    > drive, and put it in a normal drivebay or external enclosure.

    Damn. I am using IDE here, and there is no write protect jumper on IDE drives.

    I wonder if I can disconnect some pins on one of my shuttles to achieve
    this.

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    Linux User: #370818 http://markhobley.yi.org/

  13. Re: Could not open font 'fixed' message PART 2

    Mark Hobley wrote:
    > Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    >
    >> The usual technique is to remove the 'write' jumper from the SCSI or PATA
    >> drive, and put it in a normal drivebay or external enclosure.

    > Damn. I am using IDE here, and there is no write protect jumper on IDE drives.

    Depends on the drive. Booting with a live Linux CD and imaging the drives into
    another system, or a virtual system, without ever mounting them, is something
    *I* would accept as 'not writing to the drives'.

    > I wonder if I can disconnect some pins on one of my shuttles to achieve
    > this.
    >
    > Mark.

  14. Re: Could not open font 'fixed' message PART 2

    >> Error loading keymap /var/tmp/server-0-xkm
    >> Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap
    >> Could not init font path element unix/:7100, removing from list
    >> If you encounter a server crash , please report the problem by filling
    >> a bug report in the XFree86.org bugzilla at http://xfree86.org and/or
    >> Red Hat bugzilla at http://bugzilla .readhat.com/bugzilla.When filling
    >> your report , it is very important that you explain your problem in as
    >> much detail as possible .After submitting the bug report, attach the
    >> following the following files as uncompressed individual file
    >> attachments using the bugzilla file attachment feature:
    >> -X server log file: /var/log/XFree86.0.log
    >> -Kernel log file: /var/log/messages
    >>
    >> Fatal server error:
    >> Could not open font 'fixed'
    >> XIO:fatal IO error 104(Connection reset by peer) on X server:":0.0"
    >> After 0 requests (o known processed) with 0 events remaining.
    >> Fd 3 is not a master pty device(it is 4,1)
    >> INIT id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
    >>
    >> System loop searching for a monitor configuration (turning on and off
    >> the monitor)
    >> the hard disk was completely full so I freed some space without any
    >> change.
    >> What can I do?
    >> PS I cannot reinstall the OS because this server is an evidence in a
    >> trial

    It's "evidence" and you're messing with it that badly? Isn't that
    tampering with evidence, immoral and illegal to boot? I hope the guy's
    lawyer gets the case thrown out. Serves you right for trying to use
    someone's computer against them.

    >> I mailed this question some time ago and I followed the suggestion
    >> modifying the etc/inittab so now the X is disabled but after some
    >> tries I discovered that a PDF generator needs X active to generate
    >> PDF, I cannot change the PDF generator software so I 'm obliged to
    >> reactivate Xwindow.
    >> Where can I found this fonts and what's the procedure to install in
    >> the system?

    This is exactly what I figured happened once someone's system was
    "secured" as "evidence". Dirty low down.

    I know, but I won't tell, cop.

    --
    Freedom? [** America, The Police State **] Rights?
    http://www.hermes-press.com/police_state.htm

  15. Re: Could not open font 'fixed' message PART 2

    jayjwa wrote:
    >>> Error loading keymap /var/tmp/server-0-xkm
    >>> Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap
    >>> Could not init font path element unix/:7100, removing from list
    >>> If you encounter a server crash , please report the problem by filling
    >>> a bug report in the XFree86.org bugzilla at http://xfree86.org and/or
    >>> Red Hat bugzilla at http://bugzilla .readhat.com/bugzilla.When filling
    >>> your report , it is very important that you explain your problem in as
    >>> much detail as possible .After submitting the bug report, attach the
    >>> following the following files as uncompressed individual file
    >>> attachments using the bugzilla file attachment feature:
    >>> -X server log file: /var/log/XFree86.0.log
    >>> -Kernel log file: /var/log/messages
    >>>
    >>> Fatal server error:
    >>> Could not open font 'fixed'
    >>> XIO:fatal IO error 104(Connection reset by peer) on X server:":0.0"
    >>> After 0 requests (o known processed) with 0 events remaining.
    >>> Fd 3 is not a master pty device(it is 4,1)
    >>> INIT id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
    >>>
    >>> System loop searching for a monitor configuration (turning on and off
    >>> the monitor)
    >>> the hard disk was completely full so I freed some space without any
    >>> change.
    >>> What can I do?
    >>> PS I cannot reinstall the OS because this server is an evidence in a
    >>> trial

    > It's "evidence" and you're messing with it that badly? Isn't that
    > tampering with evidence, immoral and illegal to boot? I hope the guy's
    > lawyer gets the case thrown out. Serves you right for trying to use
    > someone's computer against them.

    Ok, get real. Schroedinger's law has meaning: any attempt to examine anything
    will affect it. It's a matter of degree: both court and private parties in
    tries are allowed to examine all sorts of documentation, and there is always a
    risk of forgery in the process. Photographing documents exposes them to light
    and usually air: Dusting a gun for fingerprints may make it harder to see
    traces of blood, or make it easier.

    You have to control how much you affect things, and what you did.

    >>> I mailed this question some time ago and I followed the suggestion
    >>> modifying the etc/inittab so now the X is disabled but after some
    >>> tries I discovered that a PDF generator needs X active to generate
    >>> PDF, I cannot change the PDF generator software so I 'm obliged to
    >>> reactivate Xwindow.
    >>> Where can I found this fonts and what's the procedure to install in
    >>> the system?

    > This is exactly what I figured happened once someone's system was
    > "secured" as "evidence". Dirty low down.
    >
    > I know, but I won't tell, cop.

+ Reply to Thread