Command to make boot disk - Setup

This is a discussion on Command to make boot disk - Setup ; Hello, I need a precise command to make rescue boot CD-disk from and for Red Hat Scientific Linux 4 (which is a clone of Enterprise). I tried /sbin/mkbootdisk --device /dev/cdwriter `uname -r` but it does not work. Does somebody know ...

  1. Command to make boot disk

    Hello,

    I need a precise command to make rescue boot CD-disk from and for Red
    Hat Scientific Linux 4 (which is a clone of Enterprise).

    I tried

    /sbin/mkbootdisk --device /dev/cdwriter `uname -r`

    but it does not work.
    Does somebody know what is wrong and how could be right?

    Thanks
    Igor

  2. Re: Command to make boot disk

    Igor wrote in news:47f31dab-3fb4-4f62-8cdf-
    97a07c2188f9@m44g2000hsc.googlegroups.com:

    > mkbootdisk

    http://fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1272

  3. Re: Command to make boot disk

    Igor wrote:
    > I need a precise command to make rescue boot CD-disk from and for Red
    > Hat Scientific Linux 4 (which is a clone of Enterprise).
    > I tried
    > /sbin/mkbootdisk --device /dev/cdwriter `uname -r`
    > but it does not work.
    > Does somebody know what is wrong and how could be right?

    man mkbootdisk

    SYNOPSIS
    mkbootdisk [--version] [--noprompt] [--verbose]
    [--device devicefile] [--size size]
    [--kernelargs ] [--iso] kernel

    --iso Instructs mkbootdisk to make a bootable ISO image as devicefile.

    I haven't done it in a long time but the --iso was required.

    /sbin/mkbootdisk --iso 2.6.26.5-45.fc9.x86_64

    It automatically looks into /lib/modules and so does not like /lib/modules/
    as part of the identification and does not like a trailing / to show it is a
    directory. The entire process looks like a classic example of cruft which is
    why I was surprised to find the --iso addition a few years ago.

    --
    The lesson from this financial mess is the people on Wall Street are no more
    qualified than you and I to run the country's finances.

+ Reply to Thread