System cannot come back from suspend (Fedora 9) - Setup

This is a discussion on System cannot come back from suspend (Fedora 9) - Setup ; I suspended my laptop (Dell Latitude D630) but could not get it to resume (using the power switch). I eventually shut it down by holding the power switch and tried to restart. As an apparent consequence, the laptop now hangs ...

  1. System cannot come back from suspend (Fedora 9)

    I suspended my laptop (Dell Latitude D630) but could not get it to
    resume (using the power switch). I eventually shut it down by
    holding the power switch and tried to restart.

    As an apparent consequence, the laptop now hangs when trying
    to boot the kernel that I was using at the time I
    originally suspended it.

    I am able to start it with other kernels, though.

    This is a dual-boot laptop. I am using the Windows XP
    boot loader which, for Linux, then GRUB before loading
    a Linux kernel. I am able to start the other Linux kernels
    with GRUB. When I try to start the suspended kernel
    with GRUB, I get:

    Red Hat nash version 6.0.52
    [ then the Welcome to Fedora message and "I" for interactive
    start-up ]

    Starting udev...

    And that's as far as it gets.

    Other relevant info:
    The suspended kernel is 2.6.26.5-45.fc9.i686. I am able to start
    the laptop with the previous kernel, 2.6.26.3-29.fc.i686.

    I tried something simplistic, doing an rpm -e of the 2.6.26.5-45
    kernel and then reinstalling it with rpm -iv. The result was the same.
    I didn't expect much from those steps, but I did try them
    just in case they just might have worked.

    I am wondering if there is a file or a setting that is causing
    2.6.26.5-45 boots to look for the suspend information that
    it can't find. In any event 2.6.26.5-45 currently is lost
    in inner space. Any insights? Thanks.

    --
    Mark Roberts - Oakland, CA - NO HTML MAIL
    Permission to archive this article in any form is hereby explicitly denied.

  2. Re: System cannot come back from suspend (Fedora 9)

    In article <6l80tqFaeaupU1@mid.individual.net>,
    Mark Roberts wrote:
    > I suspended my laptop (Dell Latitude D630) but could not get it to
    > resume (using the power switch). I eventually shut it down by
    > holding the power switch and tried to restart.
    >
    > As an apparent consequence, the laptop now hangs when trying
    > to boot the kernel that I was using at the time I
    > originally suspended it.
    >
    > I am able to start it with other kernels, though.

    > I am wondering if there is a file or a setting that is causing
    > 2.6.26.5-45 boots to look for the suspend information that
    > it can't find. In any event 2.6.26.5-45 currently is lost
    > in inner space. Any insights? Thanks.

    I think there's a boot switch that means "don't try to restore this
    time", but I don't remember what it is. As a workaround you could run
    mkswap on the swap partition where the restore data is stored when
    booted another way.

    LIBRA: A big promotion is just around the corner for someone
    much more talented than you. Laughter is the very best medicine,
    remember that when your appendix bursts next week. -- Weird Al

  3. Re: System cannot come back from suspend (Fedora 9)

    Below, the "at" symbol (Shift-2) has been changed to "(at)"

    Mark Roberts wrote:
    > From: Mark Roberts
    > Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
    > Subject: System cannot come back from suspend (Fedora 9)
    > Date: 10 Oct 2008 03:36:26 GMT
    >
    > I suspended my laptop (Dell Latitude D630) but could not get it to
    > resume (using the power switch). I eventually shut it down by
    > holding the power switch and tried to restart.
    >
    > As an apparent consequence, the laptop now hangs when trying
    > to boot the kernel that I was using at the time I
    > originally suspended it.
    >
    > I am able to start it with other kernels, though.
    >
    > This is a dual-boot laptop. I am using the Windows XP
    > boot loader which, for Linux, then GRUB before loading
    > a Linux kernel. I am able to start the other Linux kernels
    > with GRUB. When I try to start the suspended kernel
    > with GRUB, I get:
    >
    > Red Hat nash version 6.0.52
    > [ then the Welcome to Fedora message and "I" for interactive
    > start-up ]
    >
    > Starting udev...
    >
    > And that's as far as it gets.
    >
    > Other relevant info:
    > The suspended kernel is 2.6.26.5-45.fc9.i686. I am able to start
    > the laptop with the previous kernel, 2.6.26.3-29.fc.i686.
    >
    > I tried something simplistic, doing an rpm -e of the 2.6.26.5-45
    > kernel and then reinstalling it with rpm -iv. The result was the same.
    > I didn't expect much from those steps, but I did try them
    > just in case they just might have worked.
    >
    > I am wondering if there is a file or a setting that is causing
    > 2.6.26.5-45 boots to look for the suspend information that
    > it can't find. In any event 2.6.26.5-45 currently is lost
    > in inner space. Any insights? Thanks.
    >

    > --
    > Mark Roberts - Oakland, CA - NO HTML MAIL
    > Permission to archive this article in any form is hereby explicitly denied.
    > If you quote, please quote only relevant passages and not the whole article.

    Permission to post articles on the usenet that are not archived is explicitly
    denied.

    I can't help but wonder why you didn't use the X-No-Archive: yes header.
    That's what most people do when they don't their articles archived.

    Not that it would do you any good if someone like me who despises selfish
    creeps like you who don't want others to share the insight into linux
    their thread generates sees your post.

    My filter marks all such posts with a unique score.

    Sid

  4. Re: System cannot come back from suspend (Fedora 9)

    On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 03:36:26 +0000, Mark Roberts wrote:

    > I suspended my laptop (Dell Latitude D630) but could not get it to
    > resume (using the power switch). I eventually shut it down by holding
    > the power switch and tried to restart.
    >
    > As an apparent consequence, the laptop now hangs when trying to boot the
    > kernel that I was using at the time I originally suspended it.
    >
    > I am able to start it with other kernels, though.
    >
    > This is a dual-boot laptop. I am using the Windows XP boot loader which,
    > for Linux, then GRUB before loading a Linux kernel. I am able to start
    > the other Linux kernels with GRUB. When I try to start the suspended
    > kernel with GRUB, I get:
    >
    > Red Hat nash version 6.0.52
    > [ then the Welcome to Fedora message and "I" for interactive start-up ]
    >
    > Starting udev...
    >
    > And that's as far as it gets.
    >
    > [snip]

    How long have you waited while udev does its thing before deciding the
    system is hung? Sometimes after an improper shutdown like you did, this
    can take a while, but not more than a few minutes.

    Have you run fsck on your Linux partitions, particularly /? Remember to
    do this only on unmounted partitions. Best to use a Live CD to do this.

    And why did you us rpm to uninstall and install the "bad" kernel? You
    should have used yum (or Fedora's "other" GUI package manager) to do
    this. Takes care of dependencies automatically.

    Stef

  5. Re: System cannot come back from suspend (Fedora 9)

    Hactar had written:
    | Mark Roberts wrote:
    | > I suspended my laptop (Dell Latitude D630) but could not get it to
    | > resume (using the power switch). I eventually shut it down by
    | > holding the power switch and tried to restart.
    | >
    | > As an apparent consequence, the laptop now hangs when trying
    | > to boot the kernel that I was using at the time I
    | > originally suspended it.
    | >
    | > I am able to start it with other kernels, though.
    | > I am wondering if there is a file or a setting that is causing
    | > 2.6.26.5-45 boots to look for the suspend information that
    | > it can't find. In any event 2.6.26.5-45 currently is lost
    | > in inner space. Any insights? Thanks.
    |
    | I think there's a boot switch that means "don't try to restore this
    | time", but I don't remember what it is. As a workaround you could run
    | mkswap on the swap partition where the restore data is stored when
    | booted another way.

    Thank you! You pointed me in the right direction. The parameter is
    "norestore". I also had to remember to use "a" in the GRUB
    graphical menu to add the kernel argument, rather then "e" to edit
    the line.

    And, indeed, "norestore" did the trick!

    It still leaves me wondering why suspend failed, but perhaps that
    is caused by having the first boot loader be the XP boot loader.

    --
    Mark Roberts - Oakland, CA - NO HTML MAIL
    Permission to archive this article in any form is hereby explicitly denied.
    If you quote, please quote only relevant passages and not the whole article.

  6. Re: System cannot come back from suspend (Fedora 9)

    Stefan Patric had written:
    | On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 03:36:26 +0000, Mark Roberts wrote:
    |
    | > I suspended my laptop (Dell Latitude D630) but could not get it to
    | > resume (using the power switch). I eventually shut it down by holding
    | > the power switch and tried to restart.
    | >
    | > As an apparent consequence, the laptop now hangs when trying to boot the
    | > kernel that I was using at the time I originally suspended it.
    | >
    | > I am able to start it with other kernels, though.
    | >
    | > This is a dual-boot laptop. I am using the Windows XP boot loader which,
    | > for Linux, then GRUB before loading a Linux kernel. I am able to start
    | > the other Linux kernels with GRUB. When I try to start the suspended
    | > kernel with GRUB, I get:
    | >
    | > Red Hat nash version 6.0.52
    | > [ then the Welcome to Fedora message and "I" for interactive start-up ]
    | >
    | > Starting udev...
    | >
    | > And that's as far as it gets.
    | >
    | > [snip]

    By the way, passing "norestore" to the kernel at boot time solved
    the problem.

    | How long have you waited while udev does its thing before deciding the
    | system is hung?

    About 15 minutes. A little long.

    | Sometimes after an improper shutdown like you did, this
    | can take a while, but not more than a few minutes.

    Actually, it wasn't an improper shutdown to begin with. The suspend
    did behave normally. It is possible that subsequent restarts
    constituted improper shutdowns, but I think the boot sequence just
    didn't get far enough to make a difference.

    | Have you run fsck on your Linux partitions, particularly /?

    No, there was no evidence of disk corruption. It booted normally
    with other kernels and there was no data loss.

    | And why did you us rpm to uninstall and install the "bad" kernel? You
    | should have used yum (or Fedora's "other" GUI package manager) to do
    | this.

    If there were dependencies, rpm -e wouldn't have let me uninstall
    the kernel, right? (At least not without --force, which I didn't
    use.) Normally, I do use yum. But there are a few instances for
    which it is still good to know and use rpm.

    --
    Mark Roberts - Oakland, CA - NO HTML MAIL
    Permission to archive this article in any form is hereby explicitly denied.
    If you quote, please quote only relevant passages and not the whole article.

  7. Re: System cannot come back from suspend (Fedora 9)

    [ correcting error ]

    Mark Roberts had written:
    | Hactar had written:
    | |
    | | I think there's a boot switch that means "don't try to restore this
    | | time", but I don't remember what it is. As a workaround you could run
    | | mkswap on the swap partition where the restore data is stored when
    | | booted another way.
    |
    | Thank you! You pointed me in the right direction. The parameter is
    | "norestore".

    Actually, that should have been "noresume".

    | I also had to remember to use "a" in the GRUB
    | graphical menu to add the kernel argument, rather then "e" to edit
    | the line.

    Still correct.

    --
    Mark Roberts - Oakland, CA - NO HTML MAIL
    Permission to archive this article in any form is hereby explicitly denied.
    If you quote, please quote only relevant passages and not the whole article.

  8. Re: System cannot come back from suspend (Fedora 9)

    In article <6ladtgFbe6plU1@mid.individual.net>,
    Mark Roberts wrote:
    > Hactar had written:
    > | Mark Roberts wrote:
    > | > I suspended my laptop (Dell Latitude D630) but could not get it to
    > | > resume (using the power switch). I eventually shut it down by
    > | > holding the power switch and tried to restart.
    > | >
    > | > As an apparent consequence, the laptop now hangs when trying
    > | > to boot the kernel that I was using at the time I
    > | > originally suspended it.
    > | >
    > | > I am able to start it with other kernels, though.
    > | > I am wondering if there is a file or a setting that is causing
    > | > 2.6.26.5-45 boots to look for the suspend information that
    > | > it can't find. In any event 2.6.26.5-45 currently is lost
    > | > in inner space. Any insights? Thanks.
    > |
    > | I think there's a boot switch that means "don't try to restore this
    > | time", but I don't remember what it is. As a workaround you could run
    > | mkswap on the swap partition where the restore data is stored when
    > | booted another way.
    >
    > Thank you! You pointed me in the right direction. The parameter is
    > "norestore". I also had to remember to use "a" in the GRUB
    > graphical menu to add the kernel argument, rather then "e" to edit
    > the line.
    >
    > And, indeed, "norestore" did the trick!
    >
    > It still leaves me wondering why suspend failed, but perhaps that
    > is caused by having the first boot loader be the XP boot loader.

    Eh, I find that on my laptop hibernation restores correctly (most of the
    time), but the "after" session has a significant chance of crashing
    later. Suspension fails to resume more often (maybe 5-10% of the time),
    but generally the "after" session doesn't crash later. Sometimes there's
    a problem where the fan doesn't activate normally and somebody kicks it
    on 100% when the CPU(?) temp gets to 80C. The keyboard power button
    doesn't work 10-20% of the time, but I can't tie that to suspension or
    hibernation.

    LIBRA: A big promotion is just around the corner for someone
    much more talented than you. Laughter is the very best medicine,
    remember that when your appendix bursts next week. -- Weird Al

  9. Re: System cannot come back from suspend (Fedora 9)

    Below, the "at" symbol (Shift-2) has been changed to "(at)" so that googlegroups
    won't render those parts of the post unreadable.

    Mark Roberts wrote:
    > From: Mark Roberts
    > Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
    > Subject: Re: System cannot come back from suspend (Fedora 9)
    > Date: 11 Oct 2008 01:30:24 GMT
    >
    > Hactar had written:
    >| Mark Roberts wrote:
    >| > I suspended my laptop (Dell Latitude D630) but could not get it to
    >| > resume (using the power switch). I eventually shut it down by
    >| > holding the power switch and tried to restart.
    >| >
    >| > As an apparent consequence, the laptop now hangs when trying
    >| > to boot the kernel that I was using at the time I
    >| > originally suspended it.
    >| >
    >| > I am able to start it with other kernels, though.
    >| > I am wondering if there is a file or a setting that is causing
    >| > 2.6.26.5-45 boots to look for the suspend information that
    >| > it can't find. In any event 2.6.26.5-45 currently is lost
    >| > in inner space. Any insights? Thanks.
    >|
    >| I think there's a boot switch that means "don't try to restore this
    >| time", but I don't remember what it is. As a workaround you could run
    >| mkswap on the swap partition where the restore data is stored when
    >| booted another way.
    >
    > Thank you! You pointed me in the right direction. The parameter is
    > "norestore". I also had to remember to use "a" in the GRUB
    > graphical menu to add the kernel argument, rather then "e" to edit
    > the line.
    >
    > And, indeed, "norestore" did the trick!
    >
    > It still leaves me wondering why suspend failed, but perhaps that
    > is caused by having the first boot loader be the XP boot loader.
    >

    > --
    > Mark Roberts - Oakland, CA - NO HTML MAIL
    > Permission to archive this article in any form is hereby explicitly denied.
    > If you quote, please quote only relevant passages and not the whole article.

    I've done this for the record.

  10. Re: System cannot come back from suspend (Fedora 9)

    Mark Roberts wrote:
    > From: Mark Roberts
    > Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
    > Subject: Re: System cannot come back from suspend (Fedora 9)
    > Date: 11 Oct 2008 02:46:10 GMT
    >
    > [ correcting error ]
    >
    > Mark Roberts had written:
    >| Hactar had written:
    >| |
    >| | I think there's a boot switch that means "don't try to restore this
    >| | time", but I don't remember what it is. As a workaround you could run
    >| | mkswap on the swap partition where the restore data is stored when
    >| | booted another way.
    >|
    >| Thank you! You pointed me in the right direction. The parameter is
    >| "norestore".
    >
    > Actually, that should have been "noresume".
    >
    >| I also had to remember to use "a" in the GRUB
    >| graphical menu to add the kernel argument, rather then "e" to edit
    >| the line.
    >
    > Still correct.
    >

    > --
    > Mark Roberts - Oakland, CA - NO HTML MAIL
    > Permission to archive this article in any form is hereby explicitly denied.
    > If you quote, please quote only relevant passages and not the whole article.

    Permission to keep your articles out of the archives explicitly denied.

    Sid

+ Reply to Thread