The case of the vanishing password - Setup

This is a discussion on The case of the vanishing password - Setup ; Fedora 9 all updates installed as a plain vanilla workstation. I set up only one user account on first boot. This installation was on 9/25 this year, a couple weeks ago. So I try to log in using the Gnome ...

  1. The case of the vanishing password

    Fedora 9 all updates installed as a plain vanilla workstation. I set up only
    one user account on first boot. This installation was on 9/25 this year, a
    couple weeks ago.

    So I try to log in using the Gnome login and it does not recognize my user
    password. So I log in as root, use passwd to set my user password, logout and
    back in as user. Works fine until next system boot when it starts over.

    I have not heard of this before and obviously I have never been a system
    admin. The installation is new so no time limits have expired.

    Is there something obvious I am missing?

    --
    Abraham was such a great con artist he sold his wife to kings many times
    over and convinced the world god gave him Palestine.

  2. Re: The case of the vanishing password

    Matt Giwer wrote:
    > Fedora 9 all updates installed as a plain vanilla workstation. I set
    > up only one user account on first boot. This installation was on 9/25
    > this year, a couple weeks ago.
    >
    > So I try to log in using the Gnome login and it does not recognize
    > my user password. So I log in as root, use passwd to set my user
    > password, logout and back in as user. Works fine until next system boot
    > when it starts over.
    >
    > I have not heard of this before and obviously I have never been a
    > system admin. The installation is new so no time limits have expired.
    >
    > Is there something obvious I am missing?

    I don't know about obvious, other than it obviously should work.

    Login info is usually stored in /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow. Just
    before a reboot and just after boot see what the entries are in those
    for your user. Nothing should change them, so see if something does.

    If your workstation isn't quite so plain vanilla as you say, you could
    be getting login info from LDAP or NIS or maybe a Windows domain. Check
    if the authentication source isn't losing you during a reboot/shutdown.
    (How depends on the authentication source.) If you're not using NIS
    but you're running nscd, turn off (chkconfig) or uninstall (rpm/yum)
    nscd, and see if it gets better. Double check stuff like
    /etc/nsswitch.conf, /etc/ldap.conf and /etc/openldap/ldap.conf, and
    /etc/pam.d/* contents to see if they point to the external
    authentication sources you expect. (Although if you're not an admin,
    you may have to learn what you're looking at. Think of it as a growth
    opportunity.) Lastly, are you running samba and/or winbind?

    Just some ideas. Others might have more.

  3. Re: The case of the vanishing password

    Matt Giwer wrote:
    > Fedora 9 all updates installed as a plain vanilla workstation. I set
    > up only one user account on first boot. This installation was on 9/25
    > this year, a couple weeks ago.
    >
    > So I try to log in using the Gnome login and it does not recognize
    > my user password. So I log in as root, use passwd to set my user
    > password, logout and back in as user. Works fine until next system boot
    > when it starts over.
    >
    > I have not heard of this before and obviously I have never been a
    > system admin. The installation is new so no time limits have expired.
    >
    > Is there something obvious I am missing?

    Slow down, and isolate the problem as being password related rather than a
    Gnome issue. Can you log into a plain, *text* login, by hitting 'Ctrl-Alt-F2'
    and logging in at the text screen. gdm and other window managers can become
    quite confused by uid changes (if you have a local account that has a uid that
    conflicts with NIS or LDAP published information), hostname changes (as part
    of network configuration after the machine boots), and other fascinating issues.

    Also, if you're using a normally configured Kerberos or Winbind, your password
    will be locked for a while if you type it in wrong a few times. Wait about 15
    minutes in most setups, and you should be able to log in again.

  4. Re: The case of the vanishing password

    Matt Giwer wrote:
    > Fedora 9 all updates installed as a plain vanilla workstation. I
    > set up only one user account on first boot. This installation was on
    > 9/25 this year, a couple weeks ago.
    >
    > So I try to log in using the Gnome login and it does not recognize
    > my user password. So I log in as root, use passwd to set my user
    > password, logout and back in as user. Works fine until next system
    > boot when it starts over.
    >
    > I have not heard of this before and obviously I have never been a
    > system admin. The installation is new so no time limits have expired.
    >
    > Is there something obvious I am missing?

    How old is the plain vanilla system, especially the hard disk?

    What other systems have worked properly on it?

    later
    bliss at california dot com

    --
    bobbie sellers -(Back to Angband)Team *AMIGA & SF-LUG*

    "It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
    It is by the beans of cocoa that the thoughts acquire speed,
    the thighs acquire girth, the girth become a warning.
    It is by theobromine alone I set my mind in motion."
    --from Someone else's Dune spoof ripped to my taste.

  5. Re: The case of the vanishing password

    Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    > Matt Giwer wrote:
    >> Fedora 9 all updates installed as a plain vanilla workstation. I
    >> set up only one user account on first boot. This installation was on
    >> 9/25 this year, a couple weeks ago.
    >> So I try to log in using the Gnome login and it does not recognize
    >> my user password. So I log in as root, use passwd to set my user
    >> password, logout and back in as user. Works fine until next system
    >> boot when it starts over.
    >> I have not heard of this before and obviously I have never been a
    >> system admin. The installation is new so no time limits have expired.
    >> Is there something obvious I am missing?

    > Slow down, and isolate the problem as being password related rather than
    > a Gnome issue. Can you log into a plain, *text* login, by hitting
    > 'Ctrl-Alt-F2' and logging in at the text screen. gdm and other window
    > managers can become quite confused by uid changes (if you have a local
    > account that has a uid that conflicts with NIS or LDAP published
    > information), hostname changes (as part of network configuration after
    > the machine boots), and other fascinating issues.

    > Also, if you're using a normally configured Kerberos or Winbind, your
    > password will be locked for a while if you type it in wrong a few times.
    > Wait about 15 minutes in most setups, and you should be able to log in
    > again.

    There is part of the answer. Thank you.

    Ever since that short lived SciFi series Unit Two (??) I have always dreamed
    of whacking a gnome. In this case, the gnome needs whacking. My login on a
    text window works fine.

    But I am too hasty. It is the pre-gnome, pre-kde, pre-anything in login
    sequence graphic login of Fedora that is screwed up and losing my password.

    Anyone have any idea where Fedora hides that process?

    --
    The secret of enlightenment cannot be told.
    It can only be discovered.

  6. Re: The case of the vanishing password

    Matt Giwer wrote:
    > Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    >> Matt Giwer wrote:
    >>> Fedora 9 all updates installed as a plain vanilla workstation. I
    >>> set up only one user account on first boot. This installation was on
    >>> 9/25 this year, a couple weeks ago.
    >>> So I try to log in using the Gnome login and it does not
    >>> recognize my user password. So I log in as root, use passwd to set my
    >>> user password, logout and back in as user. Works fine until next
    >>> system boot when it starts over.
    >>> I have not heard of this before and obviously I have never been a
    >>> system admin. The installation is new so no time limits have expired.
    >>> Is there something obvious I am missing?

    >> Slow down, and isolate the problem as being password related rather
    >> than a Gnome issue. Can you log into a plain, *text* login, by hitting
    >> 'Ctrl-Alt-F2' and logging in at the text screen. gdm and other window
    >> managers can become quite confused by uid changes (if you have a local
    >> account that has a uid that conflicts with NIS or LDAP published
    >> information), hostname changes (as part of network configuration after
    >> the machine boots), and other fascinating issues.

    >> Also, if you're using a normally configured Kerberos or Winbind, your
    >> password will be locked for a while if you type it in wrong a few
    >> times. Wait about 15 minutes in most setups, and you should be able to
    >> log in again.

    > There is part of the answer. Thank you.
    >
    > Ever since that short lived SciFi series Unit Two (??) I have always
    > dreamed of whacking a gnome. In this case, the gnome needs whacking. My
    > login on a text window works fine.

    Hmmmmm. Which are you using? Kerberos, LDAP, NIS, or what? Are they up and
    running, and do they agree about your user's uid and home directory? Do other
    users have the same problem? And do you by any chance have some /tmp/.X*
    remnants left that are causing problems?

    > But I am too hasty. It is the pre-gnome, pre-kde, pre-anything in
    > login sequence graphic login of Fedora that is screwed up and losing my
    > password.
    >
    > Anyone have any idea where Fedora hides that process?

    It looks like you're referring to 'gdm', and that is in fact a Gnome application.

  7. Re: The case of the vanishing password

    Matt Giwer wrote:
    > Ever since that short lived SciFi series Unit Two (??) ...

    No Linux involved, but ...
    Special Unit 2 was a two-season Fox series.
    (X-Files meets Buffy the Vampire Slayer, sort of.)
    SciFi just picked it up way later in syndication.

+ Reply to Thread