Configuring DHCP to provide kernel and initrd for netboot - Setup

This is a discussion on Configuring DHCP to provide kernel and initrd for netboot - Setup ; Hi All, I've been running DHCP happily for a long time, just providing IP addresses. I have a simple network with one subnet: subnet 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 { range 192.168.1.201 192.168.1.250; option routers 192.168.1.3; } So far, so good. Now ...

  1. Configuring DHCP to provide kernel and initrd for netboot

    Hi All,

    I've been running DHCP happily for a long time, just providing IP addresses.
    I have a simple network with one subnet:

    subnet 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
    range 192.168.1.201 192.168.1.250;
    option routers 192.168.1.3;
    }

    So far, so good. Now I want to be able to boot the Debian installer from
    this server. It seems that I don't need to do anything more than this:

    subnet 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
    range dynamic-bootp 192.168.1.201 192.168.1.250;
    filename "/archive/Linux/netboot/something";
    option routers 192.168.1.3;
    }

    .... but I have a few questions about this:

    1. Most of the examples I've seen configure boot files for specific hosts,
    identified by hardware addresses. I definitely do not want to do this - all
    my machines are x86 and will all use the same boot files. My question is,
    will the above setup still provide IP addresses to clients that do not want
    boot files? I'm a bit confused about the relationship between providing IPs
    and providing boot files. Is it possible to provide boot files to clients
    which request them without ****ing up the existing functionality?

    2. Which is the file that should be "something"? I've looked at
    http://people.debian.org/~joeyh/d-i/...daily/netboot/, and it contains
    three files: mini.iso, netboot.tar.gz and pxelinux.0 - I'm a bit confused by
    this. Since the client will have no way of untar-ing the archive, is the
    mini.iso the correct file? Or do I need to untar the archive into my server
    dir (/archive/Linux/netboot/) so that the client can get the kernel and
    initrd itself? If so then perhaps the correct file to offer in dhcpd.conf is
    pxelinux.0?

    Sorry if this is stupid, I've never done this before and I've spent hours
    looking for a web page which has an example relevant to my situation, but I
    can't find one.

    Thanks in advance,

    Chris

  2. Re: Configuring DHCP to provide kernel and initrd for netboot

    "Magnate" wrote
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I've been running DHCP happily for a long time, just providing IP
    > addresses. I have a simple network with one subnet:
    >
    > subnet 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
    > range 192.168.1.201 192.168.1.250;
    > option routers 192.168.1.3;
    > }
    >
    > So far, so good. Now I want to be able to boot the Debian installer from
    > this server. It seems that I don't need to do anything more than this:
    >
    > subnet 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
    > range dynamic-bootp 192.168.1.201 192.168.1.250;
    > filename "/archive/Linux/netboot/something";
    > option routers 192.168.1.3;
    > }
    >
    > ... but I have a few questions about this:
    >
    > 1. Most of the examples I've seen configure boot files for specific hosts,
    > identified by hardware addresses. I definitely do not want to do this -
    > all my machines are x86 and will all use the same boot files. My question
    > is, will the above setup still provide IP addresses to clients that do not
    > want boot files? I'm a bit confused about the relationship between
    > providing IPs and providing boot files. Is it possible to provide boot
    > files to clients which request them without ****ing up the existing
    > functionality?
    >
    > 2. Which is the file that should be "something"? I've looked at
    > http://people.debian.org/~joeyh/d-i/...daily/netboot/, and it contains
    > three files: mini.iso, netboot.tar.gz and pxelinux.0 - I'm a bit confused
    > by this. Since the client will have no way of untar-ing the archive, is
    > the mini.iso the correct file? Or do I need to untar the archive into my
    > server dir (/archive/Linux/netboot/) so that the client can get the kernel
    > and initrd itself? If so then perhaps the correct file to offer in
    > dhcpd.conf is pxelinux.0?
    >
    > Sorry if this is stupid, I've never done this before and I've spent hours
    > looking for a web page which has an example relevant to my situation, but
    > I can't find one.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Chris

    Ok sorry about that, I was wading through docs five years out of date (like
    the Netboot-HOWTO) instead of actually reading the Debian Installation
    guide. My dhcpd.conf now looks like this:

    allow booting;
    allow bootp;

    subnet 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
    range dynamic-bootp 192.168.1.201 192.168.1.250;
    next-server 192.168.1.3;
    filename "pxelinux.0";
    option routers 192.168.1.3;
    }

    I've also installed the tftpd-hpa package and untar'd the netboot.tar.gz
    into /var/lib/tftpboot.

    Should that work??

    CC

  3. Re: Configuring DHCP to provide kernel and initrd for netboot

    "Magnate" wrote
    > "Magnate" wrote
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> I've been running DHCP happily for a long time, just providing IP
    >> addresses. I have a simple network with one subnet:
    >>
    >> subnet 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
    >> range 192.168.1.201 192.168.1.250;
    >> option routers 192.168.1.3;
    >> }
    >>
    >> So far, so good. Now I want to be able to boot the Debian installer from
    >> this server. It seems that I don't need to do anything more than this:
    >>
    >> subnet 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
    >> range dynamic-bootp 192.168.1.201 192.168.1.250;
    >> filename "/archive/Linux/netboot/something";
    >> option routers 192.168.1.3;
    >> }
    >>
    >> ... but I have a few questions about this:
    >>
    >> 1. Most of the examples I've seen configure boot files for specific
    >> hosts, identified by hardware addresses. I definitely do not want to do
    >> this - all my machines are x86 and will all use the same boot files. My
    >> question is, will the above setup still provide IP addresses to clients
    >> that do not want boot files? I'm a bit confused about the relationship
    >> between providing IPs and providing boot files. Is it possible to provide
    >> boot files to clients which request them without ****ing up the existing
    >> functionality?

    [snip]
    >> Thanks in advance,
    >>
    >> Chris

    > Ok sorry about that, I was wading through docs five years out of date
    > (like the Netboot-HOWTO) instead of actually reading the Debian
    > Installation guide. My dhcpd.conf now looks like this:
    >
    > allow booting;
    > allow bootp;
    >
    > subnet 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
    > range dynamic-bootp 192.168.1.201 192.168.1.250;
    > next-server 192.168.1.3;
    > filename "pxelinux.0";
    > option routers 192.168.1.3;
    > }
    >
    > I've also installed the tftpd-hpa package and untar'd the netboot.tar.gz
    > into /var/lib/tftpboot.
    >
    > Should that work??

    Yes!! It works like a dream. PXE clients boot into the latest Lenny
    installer, and DHCP clients still get an IP address.

    Now I just need to set up DNS updating ... and find a solution for older
    (non-PXE) netboot clients ...

    Ho hum. Nice when a place comes together.

    CC

+ Reply to Thread