Re: Problems with Fedora Core 9 ??? - Setup

This is a discussion on Re: Problems with Fedora Core 9 ??? - Setup ; At Sun, 5 Oct 2008 17:27:09 -0700 (PDT) Richard Vaughn wrote: > > Anyone having trouble w/ Fedora Core 9? > > I've installed it on about 20 PC's and it's been nothing but trouble. > Strange stuff, like: > ...

  1. Re: Problems with Fedora Core 9 ???

    At Sun, 5 Oct 2008 17:27:09 -0700 (PDT) Richard Vaughn wrote:

    > Anyone having trouble w/ Fedora Core 9?
    >
    > I've installed it on about 20 PC's and it's been nothing but trouble.
    > Strange stuff, like:
    > * The symbolic links between /etc/init.d/sshd a/d /etc/rc?.d suddenly
    > missing
    > * The symbolic links between /etc/init.d/network a/d /etc/rc?.d
    > suddenly missing
    > * CUPS service suddenly not running
    > * Missing gtk library (had to re-install gtk2-devel)
    > * Machines mysteriously hanging
    >
    > Is FC9 a flawed distro?

    Fedora Core (any version) is an *experimental / beta test* system.
    Yes, it is likely to have 'flaws'. It is NOT recomended for production
    environments. If you want a reliable distro for a production
    environment you either want RHEL ($$$) or one of the (free) GPL clones
    of RHEL: CentOS or WBEL or Pink Tie.

    > -Richard Vaughn

    heller@deepsoft.com -- Contract Programming: C/C++, Tcl/Tk

  2. Re: Problems with Fedora Core 9 ???

    On Oct 6, 3:11*pm, Robert Heller wrote:
    > At Sun, 5 Oct 2008 17:27:09 -0700 (PDT) Richard Vaughn wrote:
    >

    > > Anyone having trouble w/ Fedora Core 9?

    > > I've installed it on about 20 PC's and it's been nothing but trouble.
    > > Strange stuff, like:
    > > * The symbolic links between /etc/init.d/sshd a/d /etc/rc?.d suddenly
    > > missing
    > > * The symbolic links between /etc/init.d/network a/d /etc/rc?.d
    > > suddenly missing
    > > * CUPS service suddenly not running
    > > * Missing gtk library *(had to re-install gtk2-devel)
    > > * Machines mysteriously hanging

    > > Is FC9 a flawed distro?

    > Fedora Core (any version) is an *experimental / beta test* system.
    > Yes, it is likely to have 'flaws'. *It is NOT recomended for production
    > environments. *If you want a reliable distro for a production
    > environment you either want RHEL ($$$) or one of the (free) GPL clones
    > of RHEL: *CentOS or WBEL or Pink Tie. *
    >

    > > -Richard Vaughn

    > --
    > Robert Heller * * * * * * -- Get the Deepwoods Software FireFox Toolbar!
    > Deepwoods Software * * * *-- Linux Installation and Administrationhttp://www.deepsoft.com/*-- Web Hosting, with CGI and Database
    > hel...@deepsoft.com * * * -- Contract Programming: C/C++, Tcl/Tk

    Sorry guys that said Fedora isn't stable, I don't agree with you, This
    seems strange to me, I work with fedora since the first day they
    released it almost without any problems. As a user at home and as a
    system admin. It's really nice and doing very good job to me and to my
    friends and company. Iam talking from Fedora 9 at my pc at work and I
    havn't went to ant problems from the day I installed it, Also at home
    Fedora 8 still installed and very nice. 1 of my servers is Fedora 5 64
    bit and working fine from more than 2 years and it service a network
    for a company which has 200 pc as clients for that machine. Also I
    configured a Qmail server for a company on Fedora 9 from some months,
    It works fine without any complains.
    But I see ubuntu isn't good for servers as some of my friends really
    faced many problems using it, I see it's not stable as Debian or
    Fedora of course, But it's an easy distro to play with, So I advice
    any new user to Linux meet me or ask to use it.
    Regards,

+ Reply to Thread