tulip_cb.o lost - Setup

This is a discussion on tulip_cb.o lost - Setup ; Hi there ! in my efforts to get my EtherJet card working on my old Thinkpad on RedHat 7.2, I have mistakenly erased "tulip_cb.o". How can I recuperate that file ? HOw can i generate another one ? Thanks in ...

  1. tulip_cb.o lost

    Hi there !

    in my efforts to get my EtherJet card working on my old Thinkpad on
    RedHat 7.2, I have mistakenly erased "tulip_cb.o". How can I recuperate
    that file ? HOw can i generate another one ?

    Thanks in advance for any help

  2. Re: tulip_cb.o lost

    Like the ones in here /usr/src/linux-2.6.26.5/drivers/net/tulip ?

    Is that an object file of the kernel build process or are you using a
    very old kernel before the modules switched to names such as *.ko?
    Either way, rebuilding your kernel should re-make any missing files. Then
    just re-install it if it's a module you're needing.

    The kernel source tree, if left as-is after the kernel build that
    generated the system kernel, can be quickly updated by jumping in
    /usr/src/linux and issuing command 'make' (assuming 2.6.x here), which
    will re-build any missing files. Then 'make modules_install', gzip them
    if you keep them gzipped, run depmod -e -F /usr/src/linux/System.map (or
    where ever you keep that file), and modprobe the new module.

    If your kernel is from a distro, then you'd not have the file
    components, but only the end module, which would be again found in
    either the kernel or kernel-modules packages.

    --
    Protect? [** America, The Police State **] Serve?
    http://www.hermes-press.com/police_state.htm

  3. Re: tulip_cb.o lost

    On Sat, 04 Oct 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.networking
    in article and in the Usenet
    newsgroup comp.os.linux.setup in article
    , Bernard wrote:

    [Please do not post the same article to multiple newsgroups.]

    >in my efforts to get my EtherJet card working on my old Thinkpad on
    >RedHat 7.2, I have mistakenly erased "tulip_cb.o". How can I recuperate
    >that file ? HOw can i generate another one ?

    That file MAY have been part of the kernel, or pcmcia support package:

    9609647 Sep 7 16:29 kernel-2.4.7-10.i386.rpm
    287679 Sep 7 16:30 kernel-pcmcia-cs-3.1.27-10.i386.rpm

    that's the 7 year old "out-of-box" packages

    kernel-2.4.20-30.7.legacy.i386.rpm 21-Feb-2004 03:07 12M

    but I don't see a kernel-pcmcia-cs package on the errata list. Ahh,
    run the command ' rpm -qf /path/to/tulip_cb.o ' and that will tell
    you which package the missing file came from. If you have that package
    and 'midnight commander'

    903764 Sep 7 16:49 gmc-4.5.51-36.i386.rpm
    1507098 Sep 7 16:49 mc-4.5.51-36.i386.rpm

    gmc 4.5.51 The GNOME version of the Midnight Commander file manager.
    mc 4.5.51 A user-friendly file manager and visual shell.

    you can use that utility to extract the file from the appropriate rpm.

    Good Luck!

    Old guy

+ Reply to Thread