Ethernet card identification - Setup

This is a discussion on Ethernet card identification - Setup ; Hi, everyone I installed debian in my old laptop, but network does not work. (DHCP request had no answer - In the same line, the network of desktop is OK) So, I want to certify that ethernet card is recognized ...

  1. Ethernet card identification

    Hi, everyone
    I installed debian in my old laptop, but network does not work.
    (DHCP request had no answer
    - In the same line, the network of desktop is OK)
    So, I want to certify that ethernet card is recognized by linux correctly.
    When I "ping 127.0.0.1", it is OK.

    How can I be sured that ethernet card is OK?

    p.s my /etc/network/interfaces is
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback
    allow-hotplug eth0
    iface eth0 inet dhcp

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: Ethernet card identification

    Em Sábado, 4 de Outubro de 2008 15:28, J.H.Kim escreveu:

    > Hi, everyone
    > I installed debian in my old laptop, but network does not work.
    > (DHCP request had no answer
    > - In the same line, the network of desktop is OK)
    > So, I want to certify that ethernet card is recognized by linux correctly.
    > When I "ping 127.0.0.1", it is OK.

    that is not an ethernet interface
    it's loopback

    > How can I be sured that ethernet card is OK?
    >

    > p.s my /etc/network/interfaces is
    > auto lo
    > iface lo inet loopback
    > allow-hotplug eth0
    > iface eth0 inet dhcp
    >

    > Thanks in advance.

    what gives

    #ifconfig

    #lspci

    #route

    ?

  3. Re: Ethernet card identification

    On Sat, 04 Oct 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.misc in article
    , and in the Usenet newsgroup
    comp.os.linux.setup in article ,
    "J.H.Kim" wrote:

    [Please do not post the same article to multiple newsgroups. Please
    look at the newsgroup charter (or summary) where comp.os.linux.misc is
    specified for "Linux-specific topics not covered by other groups".
    This is more on topic in 'comp.os.linux.networking', or because it's a
    setup problem, 'comp.os.linux.setup'. Followups set.]

    >I installed debian in my old laptop, but network does not work.
    >(DHCP request had no answer
    >- In the same line, the network of desktop is OK)
    >So, I want to certify that ethernet card is recognized by linux
    >correctly.

    Not enough details - what do you see in /var/log/messages at boot time
    related to eth0? Is the card recognized? What _kind_ of card is this?
    What driver has been selected?

    >When I "ping 127.0.0.1", it is OK.

    That only means that the kernel network stack is operating, and that
    'ping' is usable. It has nothing to do with the network _card_ because
    the address is 'localhost' and when you are trying to talk to yourself
    there is no need to even have a ethernet, token-ring, fddi, or ppp
    interface.

    >How can I be sured that ethernet card is OK?

    1. /var/log/messages Is it seen? Is the "right" driver used? Any
    error messages?

    2. /sbin/ifconfig -a Is the interface shown? Can you see something
    that looks realistic as a "HWaddr"? Packet counts for TX and RX -
    are any shown? Any error counts above zero?

    3. Do you have any firewall settings? (This really shouldn't be the
    problem, but it's something to check.

    >p.s my /etc/network/interfaces is
    > auto lo
    > iface lo inet loopback
    > allow-hotplug eth0

    Does the card accept this mode of operation?

    Old guy

+ Reply to Thread