How do I get rid of GRUB??? - Setup

This is a discussion on How do I get rid of GRUB??? - Setup ; I was running Windows XP on my drive. I wanted to give Linux a try but I did not want it to mess up my Windows. So I installed it on an SD card. Grub installed itself as well (god ...

  1. How do I get rid of GRUB???

    I was running Windows XP on my drive.

    I wanted to give Linux a try but I did not want it to mess up my
    Windows. So I installed it on an SD card. Grub installed itself as
    well (god knows where).

    After a while, I decided to get format the SD card to install
    something else on it. To my horror after rebooting instead of Windows

    GRUB Loading stage1.5

    GRUB loading, please wait...
    Error 17

    How the heck do I get rid of GRUB?? I just want my Windows XP back.
    I want to turn on the computer and boot into Windows.

    This has really left me disgusted with ever trying Linux again.

  2. Re: How do I get rid of GRUB???

    On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 00:15:06 -0700, vorange wrote:

    > I was running Windows XP on my drive.
    >
    > I wanted to give Linux a try but I did not want it to mess up my
    > Windows. So I installed it on an SD card. Grub installed itself as
    > well (god knows where).
    >
    > After a while, I decided to get format the SD card to install something
    > else on it. To my horror after rebooting instead of Windows loading up,
    > I get the message :
    >
    > GRUB Loading stage1.5
    >
    > GRUB loading, please wait...
    > Error 17
    >
    > How the heck do I get rid of GRUB?? I just want my Windows XP back. I
    > want to turn on the computer and boot into Windows.

    Boot with a Windows emergency boot disk (if you have one) and run:

    fdisk /mbr

    or boot with the Windows XP installation CD and from the recovery console
    type:

    fixmbr

    Doing either one should rewrite the MBR (Master Boot Record) allowing you
    to reboot directly into Windows.

    > This has really left me disgusted with ever trying Linux again.

    Funnily enough I had to reinstall XP recently on a dual-boot box with
    Linux. The XP install overwrites the MBR so I could no longer boot into
    Linux and had to go through some kerfuffle to re-run GRUB in order to
    rewrite the MBR.

    Naturally, this left me disgusted with Windows ;-)

    --
    Lionel B

  3. Re: How do I get rid of GRUB???

    vorange wrote:
    > How the heck do I get rid of GRUB?? I just want my Windows XP back.
    > I want to turn on the computer and boot into Windows.

    one old trick is to boot a dos floppy and run fdisk /mbr
    But if you don't have one handy or don't have a floppy drive...
    Have you tried the XP system restore disk?

    > This has really left me disgusted with ever trying Linux again.

    Why? Because you didn't read the on-screen instructions when you were
    installing. The problem isn't linux in this case. GRUB offers you the chance
    to load it onto a partition rather than the drive's MBR, y'know.

    You just clicked through without reading the options by the looks of it, so
    the only problem here is PEBKAC.
    | in |good to you so far... |

  4. Re: How do I get rid of GRUB???

    "vorange" wrote
    > I was running Windows XP on my drive.
    >
    > I wanted to give Linux a try but I did not want it to mess up my
    > Windows. So I installed it on an SD card. Grub installed itself as
    > well (god knows where).
    >
    > After a while, I decided to get format the SD card to install
    > something else on it. To my horror after rebooting instead of Windows
    >
    > GRUB Loading stage1.5
    >
    > GRUB loading, please wait...
    > Error 17
    >
    > How the heck do I get rid of GRUB?? I just want my Windows XP back.
    > I want to turn on the computer and boot into Windows.

    As others have said, you will need to rebuild your hard disk's Master Boot
    Record (MBR), using a DOS floppy or a recovery function of a Windows CD.

    > This has really left me disgusted with ever trying Linux again.

    Just so you know, this is not at all related to Linux. Every OS, when it's
    installed, has to do something to the boot loading setup to ensure that it
    can boot.

    Linux offers you at least two options (LILO or GRUB), each of which can be
    set up in a number of different ways (MBR, partition superblock, etc.). In
    almost every case other installed OSs are noted and made available as boot
    options. Your case only became an issue when you reformatted the SD card on
    which you had installed GRUB - presumably you could choose between Linux and
    Windows perfectly happily until then.

    Windows simply trashes the MBR, ignores any other OS and sets up your
    machine to boot straight into Windows every time.

    Other OSs do something in between.

    If you had installed any non-Linux OS onto the SD card, you would have run
    into exactly the same problem when you reformatted the card.

    Regards,

    CC

  5. Re: How do I get rid of GRUB???

    "vorange" wrote in message
    > I was running Windows XP on my drive.
    >
    > I wanted to give Linux a try but I did not want it to mess up my
    > Windows. So I installed it on an SD card. Grub installed itself as
    > well (god knows where).
    >
    > After a while, I decided to get format the SD card to install
    > something else on it. To my horror after rebooting instead of Windows
    >
    > GRUB Loading stage1.5
    >
    > GRUB loading, please wait...
    > Error 17
    >
    > How the heck do I get rid of GRUB?? I just want my Windows XP back.
    > I want to turn on the computer and boot into Windows.
    >
    > This has really left me disgusted with ever trying Linux again.

    Boot with your XP cd
    and from the repair console issue the command fixmbr

    or...

    boot with a win9x floppy and issue the command fdisk /mbr

  6. Re: How do I get rid of GRUB???

    On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 18:43:06 -0500, "philo" wrote:

    >> This has really left me disgusted with ever trying Linux again.

    Yes well Linux is for thinking people, not Drag'n'Droolers.

    >Boot with your XP cd
    >and from the repair console issue the command fixmbr

    and perhaps fixboot while you're at it.

    >or...
    >
    >boot with a win9x floppy and issue the command fdisk /mbr

    Why pass on this crap, no way is that gonna fix a winxp MBR unless
    a user is multi-booting Win98 -> Win2k/XP which is unlikely these days?

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.id.au/

  7. Re: How do I get rid of GRUB???

    Em Sexta, 3 de Outubro de 2008 08:15, vorange escreveu:

    > I was running Windows XP on my drive.
    >
    > I wanted to give Linux a try but I did not want it to mess up my
    > Windows. So I installed it on an SD card. Grub installed itself as
    > well (god knows where).
    >
    > After a while, I decided to get format the SD card to install
    > something else on it. To my horror after rebooting instead of Windows
    >
    > GRUB Loading stage1.5
    >
    > GRUB loading, please wait...
    > Error 17
    >
    > How the heck do I get rid of GRUB?? I just want my Windows XP back.
    > I want to turn on the computer and boot into Windows.
    >
    > This has really left me disgusted with ever trying Linux again.

    the world is over-populated with stupid and ignorant people, so as you are
    far from been alone, tell yourself and all the people that you know the
    next time you wanna try something diferent that winBull, ask somebody that
    knows a little bit of computers to install it for you.

  8. Re: How do I get rid of GRUB???

    "Grant" wrote in message
    > On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 18:43:06 -0500, "philo" wrote:
    >

    > >> This has really left me disgusted with ever trying Linux again.

    > Yes well Linux is for thinking people, not Drag'n'Droolers.
    > >>

    > >Boot with your XP cd
    > >and from the repair console issue the command fixmbr

    > and perhaps fixboot while you're at it.
    > >
    > >or...
    > >
    > >boot with a win9x floppy and issue the command fdisk /mbr

    > Why pass on this crap, no way is that gonna fix a winxp MBR unless
    > a user is multi-booting Win98 -> Win2k/XP which is unlikely these days?
    >
    > Grant.

    You are WRONG

    fdisk /mbr WILL rewrite the mbr even if the machine is using XP

    This is NOT speculation , I have often done it to get rid of GRUB or LILO

    If the machine originally had XP on it, the original mbr will be restored
    and GRUB or LILO will be gone

    If you do not believe me,
    do a quick test install on a spare drive and give it a try

    here is ONE link out of thousands where other have done it

    http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.com...r-problem.html

  9. Re: How do I get rid of GRUB???

    Em Sábado, 4 de Outubro de 2008 09:21, philo escreveu:

    >> You are WRONG

    > fdisk /mbr WILL rewrite the mbr even if the machine is using XP
    >
    > This is NOT speculation , I have often done it to get rid of GRUB or LILO
    >
    > If the machine originally had XP on it, the original mbr will be restored
    > and GRUB or LILO will be gone
    >

    > If you do not believe me,
    > do a quick test install on a spare drive and give it a try
    >

    > here is ONE link out of thousands where other have done it

    http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.com...r-problem.html

    Correct!

    fdisk /mbr will set MBR in a way that the search for a OS will be redirected
    to the BR of the 1st partition on that disk.
    as long the OS is sitting in the 1st partition, it will work, no matter what
    win/msdos version is there.
    all windows start like this: BIOS reads MBR, MBR redirects do the 1st BR and
    the 1st BR has instructions where (fisical sectors) is the 1st file to be
    loaded, so this 1st file (old io.sys) can never be moved fisicaly on the
    disk, and even if you install windows to a 2nd partition, it will allways
    put hidden files in the 1st partition. Vista runs today the same way the
    1st ibm-dos did, it only runs if it is installed in the best seat of the
    house.

    regards

  10. Re: How do I get rid of GRUB???

    On Sat, 04 Oct 2008 10:10:48 +0100, ArameFarpado wrote:

    > fdisk /mbr will set MBR in a way that the search for a OS will be redirected
    > to the BR of the 1st partition marked active on that disk.

    Fixed that for you.

  11. Re: How do I get rid of GRUB???

    Em Sábado, 4 de Outubro de 2008 11:47, Dave Uhring escreveu:

    > On Sat, 04 Oct 2008 10:10:48 +0100, ArameFarpado wrote:
    >
    >> fdisk /mbr will set MBR in a way that the search for a OS will be
    >> redirected to the BR of the 1st partition marked active on that disk.

    > Fixed that for you.

    yes... details are important

    regards

  12. Re: How do I get rid of GRUB???

    ArameFarpado wrote:
    > Em Sexta, 3 de Outubro de 2008 08:15, vorange escreveu:
    >
    >> I was running Windows XP on my drive.
    >>
    >> I wanted to give Linux a try but I did not want it to mess up my
    >> Windows. So I installed it on an SD card. Grub installed itself as
    >> well (god knows where).
    >>
    >> After a while, I decided to get format the SD card to install
    >> something else on it. To my horror after rebooting instead of Windows
    >>
    >> GRUB Loading stage1.5
    >>
    >> GRUB loading, please wait...
    >> Error 17
    >>
    >> How the heck do I get rid of GRUB?? I just want my Windows XP back.
    >> I want to turn on the computer and boot into Windows.
    >>
    >> This has really left me disgusted with ever trying Linux again.

    > the world is over-populated with stupid and ignorant people, so as you are
    > far from been alone, tell yourself and all the people that you know the
    > next time you wanna try something diferent that winBull, ask somebody that
    > knows a little bit of computers to install it for you.

    This is comp.os.linux.setup, not 'comp.os.linux.hire.consultants'. Playing
    with things is how we learn.

+ Reply to Thread