Setup problem in Sony VAIO PCG-Z505SX using usb floppy drive - Setup

This is a discussion on Setup problem in Sony VAIO PCG-Z505SX using usb floppy drive - Setup ; Hi, everyone I'm trying to install debian to old sony vaio PCG-Z505SX notebook which has no bootable cd-rom drive. So, I'm installing debian with USB floppy drive. When I setup debian using installing diskette, it displays following messages in setup ...

  1. Setup problem in Sony VAIO PCG-Z505SX using usb floppy drive

    Hi, everyone
    I'm trying to install debian to old sony vaio PCG-Z505SX notebook which
    has no bootable cd-rom drive.
    So, I'm installing debian with USB floppy drive.
    When I setup debian using installing diskette, it displays following
    messages in setup procedures:

    Floppy drive(s) : fd0 is unknown type 12 (usb?), fd1 is 2.88M AMI BIOS
    floppy0 : no floppy controlllers found
    Cannot load floppy module
    Giving up!
    /init: 44: sleep : not found
    Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init !

    How can I install debian in vaio PCG-Z505SX using usb floppy drive ?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: Setup problem in Sony VAIO PCG-Z505SX using usb floppy drive

    J.H.Kim wrote:

    > Hi, everyone
    > I'm trying to install debian to old sony vaio PCG-Z505SX notebook which
    > has no bootable cd-rom drive.
    > So, I'm installing debian with USB floppy drive.
    > When I setup debian using installing diskette, it displays following
    > messages in setup procedures:

    > Floppy drive(s) : fd0 is unknown type 12 (usb?), fd1 is 2.88M AMI BIOS
    > floppy0 : no floppy controlllers found
    > Cannot load floppy module
    > Giving up!
    > /init: 44: sleep : not found
    > Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init !
    >
    > How can I install debian in vaio PCG-Z505SX using usb floppy drive ?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Hello,

    1. be sure to get the right floppy images, should be x86-32/i386
    2. check the MD5 sum of each file downloaded
    3. use dd to copy the .img to the mediums
    4. check the MD5 sum of each floppy created
    5. connect the PC to i-net
    6. insert boot floppy
    7. boot the PC
    8. reply to each question to get the stuff installed and updated

    Ciao @+

+ Reply to Thread