Debian apt search - Setup

This is a discussion on Debian apt search - Setup ; I'm using Debian for 2 weeks now. I'm using apt to install packages. How can I search what packages are available in apt? TIA...

  1. Debian apt search

    I'm using Debian for 2 weeks now. I'm using apt to install packages. How
    can I search what packages are available in apt?

    TIA

  2. Re: Debian apt search

    Marylin wrote:
    > I'm using Debian for 2 weeks now. I'm using apt to install packages. How
    > can I search what packages are available in apt?
    >
    > TIA

    If you want to know what packages you COULD install just check our
    www.debian.org.

  3. Re: Debian apt search

    The Natural Philosopher wrote:
    > If you want to know what packages you COULD install just check our
    > www.debian.org.

    You can also use dselect.

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley,
    393 Quinton Road West,

  4. Re: Debian apt search

    Marylin wrote:

    > I'm using Debian for 2 weeks now. I'm using apt to install packages. How
    > can I search what packages are available in apt?

    apt-cache search

    Florian

  5. Re: Debian apt search

    "Marylin" wrote
    > I'm using Debian for 2 weeks now. I'm using apt to install packages. How
    > can I search what packages are available in apt?

    If you want to just browse all the packages that are available, just go to
    http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages. Choose a version (stable, testing,
    unstable) and then browse the categories to see the packages.

    In my experience, the biggest problem with Debian is discovering the precise
    name of the package you need. If you want to search for a particular
    function, type

    apt-cache search thing

    at any console. This will search your apt database for any reference to
    thing.

    For example, I once got an error telling me that WINE was missing a library
    called libsomething.dll.so

    So I did

    apt-cache search libsomething

    and it told me the package I needed.

    Often the search will give you a long list of packages (e.g. if you search
    for something broad like mp3). As well as trying to use more specific search
    terms, you can use

    apt-cache show packagename

    to see more details about any of the packages. This enables you to check out
    likely candidates from long lists of results.

    Good luck,

    CC
    (If you prefer GUIs to command lines, I recommend Synaptic, which has a
    decent search function.)

+ Reply to Thread