Fedora Core 2 on x86_64 with 4GB RAM - Setup

This is a discussion on Fedora Core 2 on x86_64 with 4GB RAM - Setup ; Hi, We have a requirement of Fedora Core 2 with 4GB RAM for a tool that we got from a vendor. Is it possible to install Fedora Core 2 on x86_64 (Pentium4 - 64-bit) that has 4GB RAM ? Thx ...

  1. Fedora Core 2 on x86_64 with 4GB RAM

    Hi,

    We have a requirement of Fedora Core 2 with 4GB RAM for a tool that we
    got
    from a vendor.
    Is it possible to install Fedora Core 2 on x86_64 (Pentium4 - 64-bit)
    that has 4GB RAM ?

    Thx in advans,
    Karthik Balaguru

  2. Re: Fedora Core 2 on x86_64 with 4GB RAM

    On Sep 24, 1:01*am, karthikbalaguru
    wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > We have a requirement of Fedora Core 2 with 4GB RAM for a tool that we
    > got
    > from a vendor.
    > Is it possible to install Fedora Core 2 on x86_64 (Pentium4 - 64-bit)
    > that has 4GB RAM ?

    I got the below info from the link http://www.fedorafaq.org/

    Q: Can Fedora run on a 64-bit (AMD-64 or Intel-64) computer?
    A: Yes, it can! A 64-bit version of Fedora is currently available to
    download. It works very well.
    note - You can also run the normal 32-bit version of Fedora on
    your 64-bit computer, although that's rarely required nowadays.

    Pls find the info w.r.t FC2 in the link
    Q: Does Fedora run on the AMD64 (Opteron) platform?
    A: Yes, it does! An AMD64 version of Fedora Core 2 is currently
    available.

    But can Fedora Core 2 run on Intel-64 (Pentium 4) ?
    Any ideas ? Has anyone tried the above combinartion
    or any links confirming the status of Fedora Core 2 on
    Intel-64(Pentium 4).

    Thx in advans,
    Karthik Balaguru

  3. Re: Fedora Core 2 on x86_64 with 4GB RAM

    Karthik Balaguru quotes:
    > Q: Can Fedora run on a 64-bit (AMD-64 or Intel-64) computer?
    > A: Yes, it can! ^^^^^^^^

    And then asks:
    > But can Fedora Core 2 run on Intel-64...

    Fedora Core 2 will run fine on your machine. Find out from your software
    vendor whether he requires the 32 bit or 64 bit version.
    --
    John Hasler
    john@dhh.gt.org

  4. Re: Fedora Core 2 on x86_64 with 4GB RAM

    John Hasler wrote:
    > Karthik Balaguru quotes:
    >> Q: Can Fedora run on a 64-bit (AMD-64 or Intel-64) computer?
    >> A: Yes, it can! ^^^^^^^^

    > And then asks:
    >> But can Fedora Core 2 run on Intel-64...

    > Fedora Core 2 will run fine on your machine. Find out from your software
    > vendor whether he requires the 32 bit or 64 bit version.

    Not entirely certain... It depends on the age of the motherboard (and
    relevant chipsets in the machine)...

    FC2 is 5 years out of date now. So any newer hardware might be a bit of a
    struggle to get working.